Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its funny your considering Deus, last night after writing my rant to you, I went to "todays finds" and went through reports of Colonial coin finds at celler holes and a lot of them where from Deus owners, then I watched this video from a Guy who hunts the same kind of sites as me and is very skilled at finding good old coins, comparing machines and the Deus picked up a quarter with a nail over it from all angles and Equinox really fought hard to find it at all.

the one thing I don't understand is the user got better results at a recovery of 3 rather than 6, as I thought the higher the number the better the separation?

What a surprising video!! I just told my wife I’m taking a break today I’m exhausted and sore from digging so much yesterday and now after watching this video I’m having second thoughts LOL
Did he have it in Park 1?

I’m still getting a Deus. I mean everybody needs 2 detectors anyway right? LOL

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the nails are right angled, or have a bulbous encrustation attached I found they can sound like a coin

No doubt. Always going to be an issue with Any high gain unit. Everyone will dig some iron falsing but the ones that give off the subtle clues need to be skipped.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a surprising video!! I just told my wife I’m taking a break today I’m exhausted and sore from digging so much yesterday and now after watching this video I’m having second thoughts LOL
Did he have it in Park 1?

I’m still getting a Deus. I mean everybody needs 2 detectors anyway right? LOL

it looks like he was on Fields one or two
definitely make Deus looks good with Nail over quarter

I asked the video maker who is a very experienced and successful coin hunter,
what he thought of results on video and he explained both machines are great, and with equinox the slow "3" recovery is only good in low iron and slow speed gives processor time to Id coin with nail and note as it is a test pit, it is an isolated target with nothing else under coil

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

what he thought of results on video and he explained both machines are great, and with equinox the slow "3" recovery is only good in low iron and slow speed gives processor time to Id coin with nail and note as it is a test pit, it is an isolated target with nothing else under coil

Calabash made a good point about lowering the sensitivity I was going in hot at 23. Why no idea lol

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video as usual Calabash. Good points for some that are new to the nox but also for anyone. Lower the sensitivity in thick iron will lower the falling. The nox is a beast and I'm lovin this 15" coil too!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1543026021.759635.jpg

Hit a cellar hole this am that I have pounded with my Garrett and one of my hunting partners pounded with his Deus. Popped a KG about 5’ from the stone lined cellar hole near the old well. I know both of us swung this spot several times with our detectors over the last year. The Nox was able to somehow give a repeatable 25-26 about 6” down, sensitivity 15. My biggest problem is finding the high tone targets after I dig the plugs. There is so much iron that my Carrot can’t isolate the focus target. And if I spread the dirt and use my detector, I am actually spreading it over additional iron in the ground. I lost a couple amazing signals today. Any advice? Is there a pinpointer that has disc capabilities out there?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1654476

Hit a cellar hole this am that I have pounded with my Garrett and one of my hunting partners pounded with his Deus. Popped a KG about 5’ from the stone lined cellar hole near the old well. I know both of us swung this spot several times with our detectors over the last year. The Nox was able to somehow give a repeatable 25-26 about 6” down, sensitivity 15. My biggest problem is finding the high tone targets after I dig the plugs. There is so much iron that my Carrot can’t isolate the focus target. And if I spread the dirt and use my detector, I am actually spreading it over additional iron in the ground. I lost a couple amazing signals today. Any advice? Is there a pinpointer that has disc capabilities out there?

I wish I had the solution I know there a pinpointer out the that sounds off on iron different. My carrot sounds off continuously in a my plugs and I just go to picking.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The minelab pinpointer does disc. The 35 i believe?

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1654476

The minlab 35 discriminates it makes a special beep pattern for iron, but can still be over whelming, also when I spread out, go over with magnet, get a lot of nails and sheet metal out of the way, then I use detector again then pinpointer

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The minlab 35 discriminates it makes a special beep pattern for iron, but can still be over whelming, also when I spread out, go over with magnet, get a lot of nails and sheet metal out of the way, then I use detector again then pinpointer

Not to mention my partner has the 35 and I tell him thanks a lot for leaving all the nails while I clean them out. Lol

BTW The worst pinpointer I own is the Minelab 25....trash.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1654476

The ML 35 has some iron disc capabilities but you have to be right on top of the iron for it to work well and I don't 100% trust it so I end up pulling the nail anyway, so it kind of defeats the purpose. Using my pinpointer, I just ratchet down on the sensitivity until I home in on the target. Using a magnet is also a good bet.

Yes, on an isolated target with iron, the lower recovery speed might unmask it. But the key is using a mode like gold mode or on the Deus pitch mode to enable you to separate the iron signal from the non-ferrous signal, audibly. This is called unmasking and has less to do with recovery speed than enabling your ears to pick up the non ferrous signal from the ferrous signal by making them either sound different (my preferred method using iron volume and pitch tone on the Deus) or enabling each target to sound off separately (gold mode on the Equinox). Frankly, the video otherwise had too many inconsistencies (Field 1 vs. Park 1 in two separate segments, never knew the actual sensitivity setting, use of two tone in one segment vs. multi tone in another) between the equinox segments to make any real conclusions. All I would say is give gold mode a go in really think iron and see what you can do, but you will have to pay attention to the the visual IDs. Same goes for finding the target if you spread the dirt as mentioned above. Use gold mode and you can pick out the individual targets and tell what they are using the visual ID.

To use this in the field in a practical manner, I search in my favorite non-gold mode (typically Field 2 for relics) and then have Gold mode set up in the user profile slot so that I can interrogate the suspect masked target. I sometimes search with gold mode, but in really thick iron, it is too overwhelming unless I am just trying to cherry pick a small patch of ground (e.g., 20 x 20').

This option is obviously and unfortunately is only available for 800 users as the 600 has neither gold mode nor the user profile quick switch slot.

Otherwise, the Deus makes a great compliment to the Equinox in these thick iron situations, especially when it comes to unmasking. Attacking the site with diverse methods. The problem is expense and having to carry two detectors around with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m heading to the iron patch right now I’m going to try to lower my sensitivity and see what happens. I’m also going to try to Lola my recovery speed three. wish me luck

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m heading to the iron patch right now I’m going to try to lower my sensitivity and see what happens. I’m also going to try to Lola my recovery speed three. wish me luck

Again lowering recovery speed may just make the situation worse. Not recommended for thick iron patches as discussed above.

Godownswingin

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Total newbie here, but part of my kit is a small but powerful magnet. When I know there is a non-ferrous target in there, but my pinpointer is finding nails, out it comes. Makes short work of a hole full of nails.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m leaving I got nothing but iron but I got to admit I was defeated before I even got here. I can’t believe i swung as long as I did I’m just tired

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug lots of coins surrounded by iron with my Impact. On one occasion i dug a wheat penny embedded in iron!

I will never know the date of this penny but its cool just the same.
IMG_2742.JPG

I guess what i am saying is...It's possible to pick a coin from the debris. In time you will know the different sounds of your detector and be able to couple those sounds with the display numbers to give you a better informed decision on when and when not to dig.

For now i say dig it all and learn as you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread