Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug lots of coins surrounded by iron with my Impact. On one occasion i dug a wheat penny embedded in iron!

I will never know the date of this penny but its cool just the same.
View attachment 1654711

I guess what i am saying is...It's possible to pick a coin from the debris. In time you will know the different sounds of your detector and be able to couple those sounds with the display numbers to give you a better informed decision on when and when not to dig.

For now i say dig it all and learn as you go.

Ammoman what also adds salt to the wound is my first couple of hunts there (6 months ago) I found 2 Half Dimes and a Real so it’s been a mental game as well because since then (last 20 times) its been iron nails basically. This place gave me utopia and then basically has been unforgiving. Then you wanna say there’s nothing left (it’s been hunted for 15years before me) but it keeps calling me back. At this point It’s the beautiful girlfriend who treats you like **it but you can’t breakup with her because she’s gorgeous but what a **tch!!! Lol

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ML 35 has some iron disc capabilities but you have to be right on top of the iron for it to work well and I don't 100% trust it so I end up pulling the nail anyway, so it kind of defeats the purpose. Using my pinpointer, I just ratchet down on the sensitivity until I home in on the target. Using a magnet is also a good bet.

Yes, on an isolated target with iron, the lower recovery speed might unmask it. But the key is using a mode like gold mode or on the Deus pitch mode to enable you to separate the iron signal from the non-ferrous signal, audibly. This is called unmasking and has less to do with recovery speed than enabling your ears to pick up the non ferrous signal from the ferrous signal by making them either sound different (my preferred method using iron volume and pitch tone on the Deus) or enabling each target to sound off separately (gold mode on the Equinox). Frankly, the video otherwise had too many inconsistencies (Field 1 vs. Park 1 in two separate segments, never knew the actual sensitivity setting, use of two tone in one segment vs. multi tone in another) between the equinox segments to make any real conclusions. All I would say is give gold mode a go in really think iron and see what you can do, but you will have to pay attention to the the visual IDs. Same goes for finding the target if you spread the dirt as mentioned above. Use gold mode and you can pick out the individual targets and tell what they are using the visual ID.

To use this in the field in a practical manner, I search in my favorite non-gold mode (typically Field 2 for relics) and then have Gold mode set up in the user profile slot so that I can interrogate the suspect masked target. I sometimes search with gold mode, but in really thick iron, it is too overwhelming unless I am just trying to cherry pick a small patch of ground (e.g., 20 x 20').

This option is obviously and unfortunately is only available for 800 users as the 600 has neither gold mode nor the user profile quick switch slot.

Otherwise, the Deus makes a great compliment to the Equinox in these thick iron situations, especially when it comes to unmasking. Attacking the site with diverse methods. The problem is expense and having to carry two detectors around with you.

Great solid advice as always, Thank you, I will set up Gold mode as my second round of inquiry , if i feel the iffy signal may have promise, I think I will practice a little in a test bed so I get know the sounds it makes as it unmasks

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m gonna start working smarter not harder. I’m gonna take the time out to set up a testing situation myself and do some studying. The iron field is literally like nothing I’ve seen before every plug has at least 4 or 5 pieces of iron in there so I’m just gonna have to clean it out more. I have a big magnet so I’m gonna start using it to pull those little tidbits I’m chasing with pinpointer so that’ll speed up my time. But I am going to start testing and taking the time to listen to these subtle differences in sound. I’ve always lived and worked for a living with the motto “the more hands you shake the more money you make” which in blue collar world works, but digging 100 plugs is catching up with me mentally and physically and I hunt a lot. Burn out is coming so I’m going slow it down and do some backyard studying.

Just not tomorrow because there’s a street tear out in Mississippi I got a tip on. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread