Headphone problem

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 800 and Im having a problem with the headphones while connected. when I turn the machine on and detect without headphones it runs good but as I try to connect to headphones it will go nuts , I can not get a good stable detection it will be quiet with static and have little chirps that it would be useless to have them on. I don't know if there's any posts on this problem but if anyone can lead me the right way it would be great. this is the second time different locations there is no electric power cables anywhere this is in the woods ,And I did have have my phone shut off on both occasions

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't say as I have seen this issue come up on the various Equinox forums or Facebook pages so that makes your problem kinda unique.

Have you tried a factory reset and then pair via Bluetooth again??

Perhaps contact your selling outlet to see if they have any insight into this issue.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 800 and Im having a problem with the headphones while connected. when I turn the machine on and detect without headphones it runs good but as I try to connect to headphones it will go nuts , I can not get a good stable detection it will be quiet with static and have little chirps that it would be useless to have them on. I don't know if there's any posts on this problem but if anyone can lead me the right way it would be great. this is the second time different locations there is no electric power cables anywhere this is in the woods ,And I did have have my phone shut off on both occasions

Sorry to hear about your problem but this is why I like the "old school" corded headphones.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I did several factory resets and headphones were fully charged. I guess this is a new issue discovered, could it be the upgrade?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not likely the upgrade (it would affect both speaker and wireless modes, if so and there would be other reports) and have never heard of the wireless h/p causing interference with the Equinox...but there is always a first time. However, should check the most likely usual suspects first in a semi logical manner to try to localize the problem to the phones or the detector.

First, have you run a noise cancel after connecting? Ground balanced? Attempted to this in different locations. It doesn’t really sound like EMI, though.

Sounds more likely there is either something wrong with the headphones or they are not paired properly.

Sorry for the basic questions to follow - not trying to insult you or anything, but I have no way of knowing you did these things unless I ask.

Did you follow the manual step by step instructions on how to pair up the headphones?

Specifically:

Phones powered on, paired properly (i.e., do you get a BT symbol with the plus sign on the Equinox control pod display when paired with the detector) and h/p volume turned up?

Are the phones responding properly to legit targets, though noisy or just emitting random noise?

The phones come with a cord for backup unpowered mode use, do they work when you plug them directly into the detector?

Do they work plugged directly into the WM08 wireless module (charge and pair the module with detector first, refer to the manual for how to do this step by step).

Have you checked that the BT headphones work with other devices (e g., a phone) in BT mode and wired?

Do you have another set of BT phones you can test with the Equinox? Wired phones?

If the phones work other than when BT paired with the detector, then the detector BT module is suspect.

Check the manual for other troubleshooting guidance.

Let us know how it goes...

HTH

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can call Minelab at 877 767-6522 and ask them what to do with it, it could easily be defective headphones.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I read the above.
Does your detector seem to work correctly using external speaker?
Does your detector seem to work correctly using wi-stream module using wired headphones?
If both answers are yes above, sounds like bad wireless headphones.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the above.
Does your detector seem to work correctly using external speaker?
Does your detector seem to work correctly using wi-stream module using wired headphones?
If both answers are yes above, sounds like bad wireless headphones.

If he walks through my logical troubleshooting steps above, he will be able to answer whether the issue is operator error (most common issue due to improperly paired headphones), the headphones, or the detector or at the very least will have enough info to give ML to determine whether he needs to return the detector, headphones, or both for repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Without headphones machine is running fine, as headphones connect you can see the headphone icon on the screen , noise cancel will be on and off with static then silence, as I am trying to move with machine there is no sound for any object slight burps and chirps, if I turn off the headphones machine is normal.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without headphones machine is running fine, as headphones connect you can see the headphone icon on the screen , noise cancel will be on and off with static then silence, as I am trying to move with machine there is no sound for any object slight burps and chirps, if I turn off the headphones machine is normal.

Yes but do you get the bluetooth symbol with the plus sign, that means it successfully connected to the headphones via bluetooth, just having the headphone symbol alone does not mean they are connected. Have you successfully put the headphones in paring mode (i.e., the headphones are flashing red and blue lights than pulsating blue when connected)?

Did you try plugging the headphones in directly with the included wire?

Have you tried any of the other suggestions to help narrow down the problem. You are not really giving any new info or indicating that you have actually tried any of the troubleshooting suggestions.

"Noise cancel will be on and off with static then silence" doesn't quite make sense or at least I cannot discern what you are actually saying.

Maybe everything I am saying is just techno babble to you and perhaps calling ML directly for help might be your best bet as someone else has suggested. Best of luck and hope they can help you figure out the issue and get it resolved. They are eager to please their customers as everyone is still under warranty at this point.

If you do make the effort to try the steps suggested above, then go ahead and report back with your results so we can try to help you figure out what is going on.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok guys,thanks all for your attention .vferrari.. I did all you said ,..wired connection works ,wireless does not, I have all symbols to wireless bluetooth plus and head phone icon when it does connect it does the skipping and static. I got a pair of archmage connected with no problem so im debating on sending headphones back to minelab on my expense,but you know what I don't think I want to waste any more than I have to, the arch mage work fine, Ill probably use till something else goes wrong, they wanted the whole set up but if my other headphones log in why? it will cost me more to ship ..not even a year used it maybe 30hrs and will have to spend already, so if I really worked this machine seems breakdowns are common or possibly I might have the lemon, sorry to sound cheap but spending almost 900 on this I did not think it was going to happen .Venting ..is... good thanks all

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got it working with the other phones. Other folks that have had confirmed headphones problems have not had to return the entire unit and ML has provided prepaid shipping back to the repair center so there should not be any cost on your end. What you are saying sounds like a change in policy or just a communication mixup. Did you tell them that you were able to get another pair of h/p working? Strange.

Infant mortality failures do happen with electronics. It’s unfortunate but it happens and though unusual it is not unheard of. Note that even though ML has their logo stamped on the h/p they are just a clone of a generic mass produced brand of BT h/p. Hope the detector itself is behaving properly.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're talking about resetting the headphones, right Truth? Good call, I forgot about that problem you had.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok that's a new one, now truth your saying if I hold for ten seconds the headphones will reboot why didn't minelab say this?.,do I push the button while the machine is off? or keep machine on? Will it not try to reconnect ?what sound do I listen for for the reboot.Hey V yes I was surprised too when minelab did not offer a ticket to send I think they met their quotas ,.And yes I did say the arches connected well.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that's a new one, now truth your saying if I hold for ten seconds the headphones will reboot why didn't minelab say this?.,do I push the button while the machine is off? or keep machine on? Will it not try to reconnect ?what sound do I listen for for the reboot.Hey V yes I was surprised too when minelab did not offer a ticket to send I think they met their quotas ,.And yes I did say the arches connected well.

Try to get a hold of one of the ML folks whose numbers appear in this thread. They sent UPS shipping label to this guy and only had him send in the part of the shaft that was defective. You may have been talking to a newborn or someone who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing.

As far as the headphone reset is concerned, yes do that with the detector OFF then pair it up to the detector again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread