3 days under saltwater with the 11" and 6" and what i learnt...

cyborgmudlark

Oct 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day there,
Last week I spent three days (20+ hours) snorkelling the beaches of Sentosa Island in Singapore with my Nox 800 and the 11" and 6" coils.

Now i'll start by saying that this is my first post and the Nox is my first detector. So all of my understanding of the pastime is currently centred around this particular machine.

Out of the water the 11" was king, with the sensitivity cranked to 20-21 on the wet sand in Beach 2 and with recovery at 6 the ability to cover ground efficiently was invaluable but with alot of modern coins, ring pulls and bottle caps dug at or over 10" deep and the temp over 30°C (high 80°F's), i really couldnt wait to get below water line.

Underwater i found that the 6" coil really came into its own, as I could still hunt with sensitivity above 20 and recovery of 6, scrubbing the sand with the machine very quiet, barely noticeable drag and digging very small targets(little finger nail size at over over 7") in the sand and mud.

Compare this to the 11" where in the same conditions I had to back sensitivity off to 15-16 due to chirping and had to be much more careful as bumping corrugations on the seafloor caused more chirping, i backed recover off to 3 as i had to sweep much slower owing to the bump induced chirping and greatly increased drag on the bigger coil these settings had me losing a big coin at around 5".

The smaller coverage of the 6" coil was more than compensated by the faster sweep and reduced drag and the ability to hunt with sensitivity cranked up made the 6" a clear winner for the conditions.

I've got about 20 hours on the beach and about 40 hours underwater now on the Nox and I'm so stoked to have a hobby where i dont need a buddy, its not completely weather dependant, i dont have to kill anything and if i dont hit gold or a bucket lister im still leaving with a heap of trash and cleaning up after litterbugs.

Here are my keepers (mountain of trash not shown), not metal items were found in a plastic bag buried with the little gold plated temple.

View attachment 1655959

And here is my first ring in the scoop, a silver(i think) mans ring with what i deduce is a 0.520ct moonstone?

20181129_093337.jpg
View attachment 1655961

Attachments

• 20181129_093410.jpg
    20181129_093410.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a very well written post, in depth material. sounds like an awesome time was had and you are well hooked by the bug. congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread