Short Video I did adjusting iron bias

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good video! :occasion14:

Trailertrash

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for making the vid. I am just barely starting up the learning curve with my new 800. Seeing a well set up test, with clear cut results is a big help. Good presentation, also. No BS, and easy to follow.
Kyle

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Won't open. 😞

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great video, definitely blotchy video, but helpful for sure. You should ask for a new GoPro for Christmas :) Thanks again. Being a new Nox owner, I'm going to add these 2 scenarios to my test bed.

HH (and here's to a new GoPro:occasion14:)

-Bill

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video, definitely blotchy video, but helpful for sure. You should ask for a new GoPro for Christmas :) Thanks again. Being a new Nox owner, I'm going to add these 2 scenarios to my test bed.

HH (and here's to a new GoPro:occasion14:)

-Bill
I watch my videos on iPad mini.
I don’t do them in the highest resolution.
On my iPad they look good enough to show what I am trying to show.
Maybe on a big screen they look worse.

Go pro is new btw.

Last edited:

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just watching on a laptop, 15". Just a friendly suggestion, never go below 480p and tbh, stick with 720p as a minimum. I definitely wasn't complaining and appreciate the tutorial, but the video was very blotchy. Thanks for the tutorial. It definitely helped!

-Bill

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watching on a laptop, 15". Just a friendly suggestion, never go below 480p and tbh, stick with 720p as a minimum. I definitely wasn't complaining and appreciate the tutorial, but the video was very blotchy. Thanks for the tutorial. It definitely helped!

-Bill

Sounds like your laptop has a weak video driver in it.
My vids look more shoddy on this elcheapo Acer laptop I have.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well this should answer several people's questions. great video for my part,no problems for me to see what you were trying to show and to explain. (better video than I could do right now). always amazes me as to how one adjustment or setting can really affect something in this hobby. iron, it happens.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well this should answer several people's questions. great video for my part,no problems for me to see what you were trying to show and to explain. (better video than I could do right now). always amazes me as to how one adjustment or setting can really affect something in this hobby. iron, it happens.

The main reason for showing.
Some folks may not realize.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good test and video! :occasion14:

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like your laptop has a weak video driver in it.
My vids look more shoddy on this elcheapo Acer laptop I have.

Lol, it's a top of the line macbook pro!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video, TNSS. I usually like to run 0 iron bias and dig iron and will take the falsing because I know I am probably not missing masked targets as a result. But for those who want to run with IB settings above 0 or 1 because they just can't deal with the occasional false, then I would suggest making sure you have good coil control and look for that one way signal, then try to zero in on it with coil wiggle such that you get a good two-way and dig. This gets harder the closer the iron target is to the non-ferrous target and because of that I just don't run with any IB because of the possibility of walking over a masked target is a worse outcome to me than a false that I can interrogate out with some coil work or shifting modes or frequencies (or just dig and be done with it).

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running with 0 iron bias. I really do not understand the advantage of using it. Park 1 is pre-set at 6?, everything else is set at 0. When and where would you want to use it? there MUST be some sort of reason, in that there are like 9? levels. Fella's, I really do not understand the why's of using IB if it would cause the blanking of a coin. I do run a small threshold where I can tell from the blanking that there is iron present, and I can press the horseshoe button if I want to hear all of it, but I am more of a coin hunter rather then relic. Running 0 I do dig iffy signals that often are rusty nails, I'm OK with that, and will most likely continue to run 0. Am I somehow working against myself by not using it? I'm just trying to understand the use of having that setting. I may seem to be a bit thick in the skull not getting it, but any input in simple terms for ME, would be helpful. By the way, the video was clear, but sometimes when I click on something coming from U-Tube, after the video ends, I then get the audio from some commercial that keeps going until I log out, then back in again, and this was one of them.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The marginal benefit of IB (preventing some falsing) is not worth missing partially masked targets. I do not use it.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then....

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you use Park 1 do most people lower the IB, or just use another setting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread