D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the 800, I have both and rarely use my 600 unless the batteries are low on the 800. The wireless headphones come with the 800 plus a gold feature if you happen to go into gold country and detect. You can use wireless headphones with the 600 but it don't come with them

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the 800, does the beach mode detect gold?
If not can you use the gold mode on the beach?

I read about people finding gold rings, etc on the beach, so what mode are they using?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the 800, does the beach mode detect gold?
If not can you use the gold mode on the beach?

I read about people finding gold rings, etc on the beach, so what mode are they using?

Yes, Beach mode detects gold but has to balance detector stability against a salt ground reference which does not make it a good for gold detecting other than wet salt beach conditions where you really have no other mode choice if you want to run the detector stable. Gold mode is the least stable mode under wet salt conditions and typically cannot be used on wet salt sand or in salt water. Neither can the other non-beach modes, typically, though you may get Park 1 or Field 1 to marginally behave depending on the salinity concentrations in the wet sand., but not worth the trip if you are only barely able to maintain stability. (BTW, detector instability manifests itself as noisy, chatty machine with unstable target IDs)

Just use the guidance in the Equinox manual. Beach 1 for dry and wet salt sand beach detecting and Beach 2 in the surf and salt water. Gold mode as well as the other modes are typically stable on the dry sand at salt beaches but YMMV. You are probably fine just sticking with beach 1 in the dry sand, especially if you can crank sensitivity while keeping the machine stable. But if you want a little extra depth on high conductors (silver, copper, and clad coinage) you can try Park 1 on the dry sand or Park 2 or one of the Gold modes if focused on gold jewelry.

Note that Gold mode is really designed for gold nugget prospecting and uses VCO pitch type audio that only alerts you to the proximity of a target and contains no tone target ID information, unlike the other modes (though visual target ID information still displays on the screen), so it is like a completely different detector vs. the tone ID modes (Park 1/2, Field 1/2, and Beach 1/2).

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the 800, I have both and rarely use my 600 unless the batteries are low on the 800. The wireless headphones come with the 800 plus a gold feature if you happen to go into gold country and detect. You can use wireless headphones with the 600 but it don't come with them

Same here. I've only used the 600 1 time. I bought for the wife for her once a year digging with me, lol.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The thread vferrari references, is mine. I went through the same questions you are trying to answer, and have decided on the 800.

I am waiting to see if Santa got my list and hopefully, it will be under the tree on Christmas morning. :icon_santa:

If not, I will buy the 800 myself!

Pretty good when V references your thread.

Yeah, I vote 800. Had to sell my AT Pro to fit it into my budget. In my opinion 600 is just as good but as everyone has said, more options. But those more options up the learning curve a little. But learning them taught me a whole lot more about metal detecting and coils.

Last edited:

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 800 and the Garrett AT Pro pinpointer.

Now I will need everyones help on figuring out how to use it!

Last edited:

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 800 and the Garrett AT Pro pinpointer.

If you haven’t already started, hit YouTube and start watching setup videos for the 800. There are a plethora of videos, and most of them are good. Once the machine arrived you’ll be ready to dig. IMO, it’s an easy machine to learn, and I’m new to the hobby.

HH
Joe

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

Don't know why, but had not even thought about YouTube!? I use it for so many other things.

Great idea. Thanks

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You will not regret buying an Equinox. I have the 600 and have no regrets on it. It's a very nice unit that seems to be built well.
I'm not sure about the Garrett Carrot but the Minelab Pro-Find 35 is what I have and that is also a nice pinpointer.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will not regret buying an Equinox. I have the 600 and have no regrets on it. It's a very nice unit that seems to be built well.
I'm not sure about the Garrett Carrot but the Minelab Pro-Find 35 is what I have and that is also a nice pinpointer.

Of all the positives that one could point out about an Equinox the one I would not include is build quality. Personally I feel it's sub par in that area.

BootyBros

Greenie
Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my 600 for $500 shipped, and I’m not a gold hunter, so it works for me. Since money isn’t an issue, just go for the 800. You get the wireless headphone with it, so you don’t need to spend $60:for the good ones. I hate being tethered, so my new headphones will be under the tree from my daughters.

Happy hunting!

That’s a great deal! Where did you get yours from?

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what UPS delivered today!!! Now if it just wasn't 30 degrees outside!
IMG_7609.JPG

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it was 30F here. If so I would be out there in a heartbeat.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of all the positives that one could point out about an Equinox the one I would not include is build quality. Personally I feel it's sub par in that area.

I do understand everyone has a different point of view, and I respect that. However in my case I'm comparing it to a "new" detector that came to my door with a messed up display and instability( Makro Multi Kruzer). The Equinox worked out of the box, as I expected of the other one and that other unit did NOT deliver. The Equinox 600 was no problem to put together, and I personally have not seen a thing wrong with it. I have read about others having problems with the shafts on the Equinox however I haven't seen that on mine. Of course, like mentioned my conditions for making the build quality statement may be different than others and was speaking purely on the subject of the unit's ability to be functional out of the box without issue( turn on, all functions work, no borked display, no erratic target display numbers,etc).
It simply works, and beats the snot out of the other one I ordered and had to send back in all aspects.
Hope that makes sense and clears it up about what I meant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread