What sensitivity setting are you using of your 15”?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the other sizes, I run as high a sensitivity as I can and still keep it stable. I find the 15" coil is a little more affected by EMI, but, otherwise a great coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In most cases, so do I. There again it's site dependent. If it's junk city, I'll bump it up. If I'm looking to go as deep as possible, I'll lower it even more and adjust swing speed as needed so I don't miss those faint deep targets. If I'm covering a large beach just looking for fresh drops, I'll run 6 and a use a fast sweep speed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the other sizes, I run as high a sensitivity as I can and still keep it stable. I find the 15" coil is a little more affected by EMI, but, otherwise a great coil.QUOTE]

What recovery speed do you use? I’m using 4.

Fortunately, Cuda answered as I would expect, but when you ask questions in such an open ended manner "What recovery speed do you use?", expect to get "its depends" type of answers or useless answers because so many variables come into play to factor into my recovery speed (or any other user mode or setting, such as sensitivity) decision such as:

Site condition (modern and/or ferrous junk density)

Site type (ball field, park, beach, surf, stream, plowed farm field...)

Target objective (coins, relics, jewelry)

Target depth (variable, deep, shallow)

Target halo (how long have they been in the ground corroding)

Soil condition (mild, minerlized, moist, dry, frozen)

High/Low EMI (power lines, dog fences, wifi, nearby highways and cell towers)

Moon phase

Zip code

Time of Day

Android or iPhone

Ok, well the last three or four are not that important.

Point is, if you get an answer back that says "3" or "4" or "7" without any context, then that would be a pretty useless piece of info. So if you want to know how to set the detector up, make sure you specify what you are trying to do. "I am relic hunting in mild soil, plowed field with little iron and modern trash using recovery speed 4 in Field 2 with the 15" coil, what do you run under those conditions?"

Then you will get an answer that is perhaps more relevant to your situation.

Coil size does not overly influence my sensitivity and recovery settings vs. the above environmental factors because all three ML coils for the equinox separate well and are sensitive to both large and small targets independent of size. (Sometimes larger DD coils show less sensitivity to small targets or less separation, but I have not found that to be the case with the Equinox coils). The coil size really just affects depth, ability to swing in restricted areas, and ground coverage.

Similar to Cuda, I crank sensitivity as high as EMI will allow (regardless of coil) unless I am "sifting" in thick iron, in which case I will reduce sensitivity to promote unmasking of shallow non-ferrous targets in the bed of nails. And set recovery consistent with junk target density to enhance separation. Other than trading depth, swing restrictions, and coverage, I will not typically switch coil sizes otherwise, (e.g., purely for separation - I let recovery speed take care of that) unless I really want to reduce the shear number of targets that can appear under the coil at one time in dense target situations. But in that case I may switch to using the small coil on a small curb strip parcel of land because swinging it over larger areas is really a painful proposition to maintain proper overlap coverage.

Anyway, Truthy, glad you are enjoying that 15" coil. Love mine and I haven't really found anything super good with it yet, but that is a site thing (or user error). On the routine non-ferrous targets (e.g., clad and junk) and in the test garden it is giving good depth and really is not noticeably heavier than the stock, and in a way it seems better balanced. May not put the stock back on and just use the 15 ' for most stuff as I don't think it is a coil blind to small targets and reserve the 6" for restricted swing areas or surgical strikes in thick nail beds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fortunately, Cuda answered as I would expect, but when you ask questions in such an open ended manner "What recovery speed do you use?", expect to get "its depends" type of answers or useless answers because so many variables come into play to factor into my recovery speed (or any other user mode or setting, such as sensitivity) decision such as:

Site condition (modern and/or ferrous junk density)

Site type (ball field, park, beach, surf, stream, plowed farm field...)

Target objective (coins, relics, jewelry)

Target depth (variable, deep, shallow)

Target halo (how long have they been in the ground corroding)

Soil condition (mild, minerlized, moist, dry, frozen)

High/Low EMI (power lines, dog fences, wifi, nearby highways and cell towers)

Moon phase

Zip code

Time of Day

Android or iPhone

Ok, well the last three or four are not that important.

Point is, if you get an answer back that says "3" or "4" or "7" without any context, then that would be a pretty useless piece of info. So if you want to know how to set the detector up, make sure you specify what you are trying to do. "I am relic hunting in mild soil, plowed field with little iron and modern trash using recovery speed 4 in Field 2 with the 15" coil, what do you run under those conditions?"

Then you will get an answer that is perhaps more relevant to your situation.

Coil size does not overly influence my sensitivity and recovery settings vs. the above environmental factors because all three ML coils for the equinox separate well and are sensitive to both large and small targets independent of size. (Sometimes larger DD coils show less sensitivity to small targets or less separation, but I have not found that to be the case with the Equinox coils). The coil size really just affects depth, ability to swing in restricted areas, and ground coverage.

Similar to Cuda, I crank sensitivity as high as EMI will allow (regardless of coil) unless I am "sifting" in thick iron, in which case I will reduce sensitivity to promote unmasking of shallow non-ferrous targets in the bed of nails. And set recovery consistent with junk target density to enhance separation. Other than trading depth, swing restrictions, and coverage, I will not typically switch coil sizes otherwise, (e.g., purely for separation - I let recovery speed take care of that) unless I really want to reduce the shear number of targets that can appear under the coil at one time in dense target situations. But in that case I may switch to using the small coil on a small curb strip parcel of land because swinging it over larger areas is really a painful proposition to maintain proper overlap coverage.

Anyway, Truthy, glad you are enjoying that 15" coil. Love mine and I haven't really found anything super good with it yet, but that is a site thing (or user error). On the routine non-ferrous targets (e.g., clad and junk) and in the test garden it is giving good depth and really is not noticeably heavier than the stock, and in a way it seems better balanced. May not put the stock back on and just use the 15 ' for most stuff as I don't think it is a coil blind to small targets and reserve the 6" for restricted swing areas or surgical strikes in thick nail beds.

I actually meant to say recovery speed and yes you are correct on my question being asked with a broad brush. I used the 15” today in a semi trashy area today and it separates surprisingly well and yes it was hitting small targets pretty good. Example those small lead things that went on tops of nails that hits just like a nickel. Ugggh

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually meant to say recovery speed and yes you are correct on my question being asked with a broad brush. I used the 15” today in a semi trashy area today and it separates surprisingly well and yes it was hitting small targets pretty good. Example those small lead things that went on tops of nails that hits just like a nickel. Ugggh

Calabash video up with the big coil on Equinox hitting some deep targets including a 14' dime. Was running it at Park 2 with recovery speed at 4 which is consistent with your settings Truth. Check it out.

Don In South Jersey

Sep 3, 2005
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Pro-Find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the 15" coil for 6 or so hunts & I have my settings on Park 2, sweep speed 3, sensitivity at 22. When I try to go to 23, gets a little noisy, so 22 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
I'm killing it in the farm fields with these settings...

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the 15" coil for 6 or so hunts & I have my settings on Park 2, sweep speed 3, sensitivity at 22. When I try to go to 23, gets a little noisy, so 22 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
I'm killing it in the farm fields with these settings...

Yeah I meant recovery speed, but after watching Calabash’s video of the equinox in hot soil explained a lot.
It’s not hitting as deep as I was seeing him hitting coins and that’s why I was asking questions. Here in Louisiana my equinox will ground balance anywhere from the 50s through the 70s we have high mineralization. His video showed the equinox wouldn’t hit a silver Quarter 8 1/2 inches in some hot dirt that somebody sent him. It was sad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread