15 inch coil in the water

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm wondering what you guys are running your equinox on when hunting with the 15 in the water? I tried today and I was falsing all over the place, I'm wondering if its even worth it if I gotta drop the sensitivity so low I feel like I might be loosing and gained depth with the bigger coil. I was really hoping it would run more stable, I think our beaches are sanded in as the last week the finds have been fewer it seems since a recent storm.

EDIT: After looking through some posts I'm wondering if it will work better if I roll back to pre update firmware. It doesn't seem like others are falsing all over the place or having to drop sensitivity so low like I'm having to do. I noticed the coil worked fine with a quick test in the dry sand, just in the water it was all over the place and unusable. I'm really hoping that gets me some stability. I really need the depth right now with our conditions it seems, I'm missing the sand shark and its deep gold hits, the bobby pins not so much..

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be really helpful if you told us two things: 1) Salt or freshwater beach and 2) What mode are you using?

If it’s a salt beach (which is what it sounds like) then if you are running something other than beach 1 or 2 (and preferably beach 2) in the water, then that’s your problem. You can run any mode in the dry sand, beach 1 in the wet sand and beach 2 in the surf are how you should be running the Equinox.

BTW Folks were not reporting many falsing issues post update with the 11” coil, that was mainly with the 6” coil, so I doubt the update is the issue with the 15”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, saltwater in mode 2. Running iron bias and recovery speed in stock values.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mode 2 = Beach mode 2? And you are getting falsing? That’s odd. Sensitivity setting? Are you running tracking GB as recommended in surf?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had any problems with mine in SoCal salt water with some black sand. I haven't gone out deep with it.....just knee deep so far.

OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh beach 2, I had the sensitivity backed off a bit can't remember 100% but I started at 16 cause that's what I run the 11" to prevent falsing, I most likely had the auto tracking on, I typically will leave it one in the few times I've been put with it now. I'm gonna head back to the beach soon and play around some more.

Is there any reset that should be done like the at-pro when swapping coils?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to reset on a swap but it doesn't hurt anything either unless you have a lot of tone or disc customizations applied (just a PITA to redo all that after the reset).

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did it swing in the water compared to the 11 inch

OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm using it now and it's not freaking out like before. I did have one moment where it was again but in the wet sand and then it passed.

There is only slightly more drag than the 11, the 11 has some drag already for sure so it doesn't glide effortlessly, it isn't the worst either. I have about 2-3 hours before I start thinking about needing to stop for a break. After a little rest I'm back at it and it's not too bad. On land it's almost unnoticeable compared to the 11.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread