Really !!!! 600 vs 800 depth comparison on youtube

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I hate bogus air tests on YouTube. Pay attention to where he leaves his metal ink pen and the other coin. It's a very flawed test.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing an air test let's you know is if the coil is working at all.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are the same depth at the same recovery speeds.

OP
OP
H

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thnx for your response everyone.

I've seen your Nox depth comparison 2-3 times Calabash and I was convinced they are equivalent at equal settings but this video caught me off guard and made me question the big gap in the video maker's quarter test.... "3? Why do people even bother doing these air tests if in fact they are baseless?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air testing is great for a systems check on YOUR machine. Comparing units like this is not an accurate test.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned before, these detectors behave the same at the same exact settings In Park 1 at the defaults (what he was presumably using because he doesn't display all relevant parameters), Recovery Speed and Iron Bias defaults are different between the 600 and 800 because of the reduced range and adjustability of the 600 with respect to these parameters (600 has Rec at 3 (corresponding to 6 on the 800) and 800 has rec at 5, 600 has IB at 2 (corresponding to 4 on the 800) and 800 has IB at 6). I can also poke holes in his setup and clumsily knocking his ruler around during the test. Plus other things which affect air test performance overall. Bottom line, dude doesn't know his detector, air tests are only really good for checking coil go - no-go, and not a true A to B comparison based on setup alone. Gets a 10 out of 10 on the "V" you tube detector test video bogus meter. Lol.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And what does the "AU" on the 600 display mean? It is not on the set up of the 800?
I have not seen an "AU" on my 800.
Could it be a user's set up which could be different than the 800 tested?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air testing for me is when I'm at a site, and move my shovel into range of the loop to make sure everything works!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what does the "AU" on the 600 display mean? It is not on the set up of the 800?
I have not seen an "AU" on my 800.
Could it be a user's set up which could be different than the 800 tested?

The 600 only has Automatic ("AU") noise cancel whereas the 800 has both automatic and manual noise cancel so it doesn't display "AU" when you pull up the noise cancel setting on the 800. Otherwise, not really sure why ML bothered sticking that grapic in there.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Vferrai:
Thanks I would never have known without your answer. I did not see it in the manual. I had to ask.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happa54,

No worries! While I did not watch the video, in my opinion there's nothing to worry about in terms of 600 vs. 800 depth performance (as Calabash and vferrari have also noted). I bought the 800 first, and then more recently added a 600. I have not done specific side-by-side testing (I have the 600 back in PA for detecting when I'm "back home" visiting, and the 800 here in Oklahoma, so I don't have them "side by side" to run through my test garden right now). BUT, I WILL say that I have noticed NO loss of performance when using 600, and that includes experiences where I have re-hunted sites in PA that I had previously hunted with the 800. Given what we have been told by Minelab about the two units, I EXPECTED the machines to perform virtually identically, when set up with identical settings. And along those lines, I've experienced nothing when running the 600, that changes my expectation, i.e. nothing that would lead me to believe that they are NOT essentially identical in performance, as Minelab has told us from the beginning...

Steve

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions