Single Freq. with the 6 & 800

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning fella's, another idle thought for a idle mind? In a confined area say like a parking strip, I would go over it in field 2, I seem to do well with it. Now instead, after field 2, go over again in field 1. Now, my "idle" thought. In a number of single Freq. machines a 15Khz. seems to be a well proven good general purpose hunting Freq, such as the AT pro and others, and I wondered that in any "defined" area, try going over in 15Khz. to see what's in there in general, I know I'll dig targets with it, and then follow up with the 1 & 2 modes, really being thorough. Any one really try that? Perhaps not in say a large field, unless you wanted to make a career of that one place, (but then again) but in a smaller place like a yard. Thinking that anything missed, would be because of the operator ( not digging the iffy, iffy signal's) and not the machine. Again, just a thought. Something I will have to try.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try 5kHz on your curb strips (trust me 8-)).

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thought Terry.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post makes me think a bit since it is rare that I use single frequencies. I have tested it on nickel signals but found it does not help me determine if a nickel is a nickel. But in any event, does it do anything better than when operating in multi freq? The one thing about the Nox is it gives you several options in which to hunt, but I have become complacent in using the multi freq modes, park/field 2 in particular.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
food for thought

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The lower frequency will go deeper (soil condition vary) and "hit" the higher conductors better. :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is the Equinox is fairly unique from most other detectors as each search mode program behaves like a completely different detector. A lot of detectors have different programs but that is usually just the same underlying target signal processing served up with different combinations of the adjustable user setting parameters (e.g., discrimination, tone, sensitivity, recovery speed, etc.). The fact that Equinox does it differently is evidenced by the fact that on Equinox you have to noise cancel and ground balance each mode you use separately and you will even get different ground balance numbers for each mode swinging over the same patch of ground, indicating that ground balance is optimally tailored/tuned to the frequency spectrum being transmitted into the ground by that mode.

Going single frequency actually removes some of the mode-unique signal processing that happens when in multi frequency (or more correctly Multi IQ) mode. In fact, the Iron Bias user setting, which relies on multifrequency, goes away when you go to single mode. I have not proven this with testing, but my theory is that when you go to single frequency in any of the Park/Field modes [you can't go single in Beach mode and Gold mode is a completely different animal], then it doesn't matter what Park/Frequency mode you are in, the detector will behave the same with the only difference being the unique user parameter setups you have established each mode as the starting point. In other words, if you set up Park 1, Park 2, Field 1, Field 2 with the exact same sensitivity, discrimination, tone, and recovery speed settings and go to a single frequency, then detector will behave the same regardless of which mode you used as a starting point. Of course, the detector will behave differently on each frequency because of the signal effects which are frequency dependent: e.g., lower frequencies will penetrate deeper and will hit harder on large and high conductive targets (e.g., copper, silver, flatware, caches) and higher frequencies will penetrate less than lower frequencies but will hit harder on small and low to mid-conductive targets (jewelry, brass, lead, nickel, aluminum, gold, platinum, etc.). Also, ground balance takes advantage of Multi IQ to provide the most optimum ground balance, but that doesn't mean you can't ground balance in single or that performance will degrade in single, it just means that it may behave slightly differently. In fact, I found that Gold Mode was performing better from a depth perspective at a particular highly mineralized site if I kept it in single mode (20 khz) vice Multi. I am not saying that Equinox performs worse in single frequency, I am just pointing out some of the Multi IQ features that may go away in single, but sometimes that tradeoff is worth it. For example, when EMI is wreaking havoc on Multi IQ, or when you want to zero in on specific target types or max out on depth as mentioned in previous posts.

I say take advantage of the fact that the detector behaves differently in single frequency and Multi IQ and hit the site or patch with single in addition to your favorite Multi IQ search profiles including Gold Modes (Gold 1/2 unlike the Park and Field modes, are basically the same mode just with different user setting presets - namely recovery speed).

The key point is this. You basically have 6 or 7 detectors (or more) in your hand when you swing the Equinox. Do take advantage of that fact and hit your site with multiple modes and multiple single frequencies and multiple discrimination patterns if you can and grid or randomize your coverage pattern so that you can uncover those one way hits that might be keepers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread