Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: So you just got an Equinox for Christmas...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2019
    Boston
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    For those who just got a new Equinox but who have less detecting experience (Equinox is their first or second machine), ....
    That would be me. So thank's for the information, I think I will find it useful to get started even though I've read the forum for a few weeks. I'm technically oriented, but I will say I think as an introduction for someone who is getting their first detector, it could have been edited down quite a bit. Probably the first 3 or 4 paragraphs lay it out given the title.

Keep Diggin'

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6077 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Investigator View Post
    That would be me. So thank's for the information, I think I will find it useful to get started even though I've read the forum for a few weeks. I'm technically oriented, but I will say I think as an introduction for someone who is getting their first detector, it could have been edited down quite a bit. Probably the first 3 or 4 paragraphs lay it out given the title.

Keep Diggin'
    It's a lot shorter than the manual. Lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I've written about 10 variations on the intro tips for Equinox over the past 9 months here and elsewhere and believe me it as evolved to answer a lot of the typical questions new users have had. Most folks are confused about the search profile/modes so a lot of the writeup is dedicated to that topic. It pretty much covers the bases for getting started. Feel free to consume only as much as you need.
    Bodkin likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    792 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I suggest everyone pay attention to what vferrari writes. He is right on. I put about 50 hours in on factory settings before I tried to tweak my detectors to what suited me. I read all of vferrari posts and always learn something new. I haven't been out in awhile because of honey do's and rain but I still follow most equinox posts online.

Unless you really understand detector technology for the most part you don't have to tweak the equinox very much to get maximum results with it. Don't try to outsmart the detector let it teach you.

I haven't been out since before thanksgiving but from March 12th when I received my E-800 until May 1st I found over $140 in clad and rings and from May 1st through August I found another $390 in clad. The equinox is a coin hog believe me. I also found a few granules of gold in New Mexico back in Oct.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23967 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    great info
    RustyGold likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    724 times
    Relic Hunting
    Vferrari is as usual right on the mark. Wish I had this summary of 800 advice back in March 2018 when I got my 800. I made the mistake of trying to learn and utilize every feature from the outset. BIG MISTAKE. It just led to a lot of confusion.

The only think I will add to may help clarify his post. When he says park1 is weighted to lower frequency for silver coins, it means that lower frequencies are better for locating high conductive metals like silver and copper. On the flip site the higher frequencies are better for finding low conductive items like gold jewelry. So the Minelab engineers have pre-fixed these frequency mix into the standard modes.

The 800 is a hot machine and a complex machine for someone coming from a more simple VLF machine like the AT Pro series. I used an AT Pro for 3 years. Finally after almost a year I have my 800 under my control and can set it to optimize almost any hunt situation. Had I had this excellent post and paid attention to it, it probably would have cut my learning time by 75%. As the line in the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - "Learn it, Know it, Live it."

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    696 times
    Yep, I was finally able to get out again this past Saturday. I used 50 tones for the first time in Park 1, and I REALLY like it. I left all the other settings at default, and had a pretty decent day. I went slow and methodical and managed 4 wheats and one silver in just 3-1/2 hours of hunting. This is in a park that myself and others have pounded for decades. I also found 3 early 60's memorials, so the park still holds some goodies. Still full of trash though. I've learned a lot from this thread and a couple others, and would like to say thanks to those who have posted all the helpful info. I love my new Equinox!
    Last edited by CoinHunterAZ; Mar 25, 2019 at 11:06 AM.

us
    Scott Burnham

Mar 2019
    Winchester Ca
    Minelab Equinox 600
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the info. I just received my 600 and am learning this amazing detector. I got into detecting from my dad who has passed away and I got to keep his old white detector. I am now passing it on to my 12 year old since the equinox arrived we have dug up keys coins and aluminum cans. I have been following this forum for a while and now with the help and knowledge that this forum has Iím sure we will be successful and look forward to our adventures. Thanks
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6422 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Welcome to the forum Scott fro SoCal!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

us
    Scott Burnham

Mar 2019
    Winchester Ca
    Minelab Equinox 600
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks Iíve been practicing in my backyard and have uncovered nickels aluminum cans lol a brass button a cut in half penny and of course nails I left them in the ground for my practice targets. I will be heading to Az next week and are planning to take my kids on some adventures thank you all for the support and love reading about the finds that everyone has posted
    vferrari likes this.

Great post and info "V". I bought my 800 last Fall, and have used it many times in Park 1. I do so well with my finds that I'm not even changing the settings. I just use factory preset of Park 1. I may explore the settings some day, but for now it is a great detector right out of the box. I use the detector in yards, woods, and parks. Still use my trusty CZ 5 for the fields.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links