interesting VDI

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
understanding the pro's and cons of Multi frequency is an interesting exploration

I was at a cellar hole last week with my friend he has MX sport
I scanned area using my 6" on equinox only got iron signals, (Multi, field 2, sens 18, recovery 5, all metal)
he came right behind me and got a mixed signal with his VDI jumping between trash and a good signal
he opened the hole and pulled out a few nails, the the good signal remained, he asked me over I was reading iron only, with flash 9 now and again
he was getting a definite high number coin signal clear as day
as he is on a single frequency, I decided to test hole at 15khz and got a solid 17, but still gave multi gave mostly minus signals i would hesitate to dig

as he dug he pulled wheat penny from hole, which usually rings on equinox as 21 at multi, but maybe abstracted by iron to 17

understanding that the technology available is not cut and dry
I am interested to hear explanations or other occurrences of this happening, but it makes me realize its worth rescanning areas also in single frequency

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also had similar results in my test garden with the NOX...single frequency separating better than mutli frequency.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check an iffy signal with two different diverse modes. For example, Field 2 and Park1 or Field 2 at 10 khz (if looking primarily for high conductors) or Field 2 and Gold mode in single at 20 khz if looking for relics. I think single frequency on this detector has obvious advantages and have posted about hitting a site with at least two different modes and a single frequency scan for good measure. Same as hitting a site with two or more different detectors, except that with Equinox, you only need a single detector to do that.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I would be cranking up that recovery speed to a minimum of 7 in those conditions. I usually have mine on 7 or 8

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by having "all metal" on, doesn't that turn off the discrimination?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but, it doesn't change the frequency(ies) or other settings.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

I always check an iffy signal with two different diverse modes. For example, Field 2 and Park1 or Field 2 at 10 khz (if looking primarily for high conductors) or Field 2 and Gold mode in single at 20 khz if looking for relics. I think single frequency on this detector has obvious advantages and have posted about hitting a site with at least two different modes and a single frequency scan for good measure. Same as hitting a site with two or more different detectors, except that with Equinox, you only need a single detector to do that.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post informative

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I typically use multi-frequency park 2 mostly stock but I do have 15khz park 2 mostly stock as user profile so I can check iffy situations. Gold mode works as well but for me user profile is much quicker to access.

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I should mention this is only good on the 800 as IIRC the 600 doesn't have a user profile button.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see this on youtube often if you watch comparison videos between one machine and another. Different software just reacts differently. No single machine will find it all. This is why I tend to dig everything when it's possible to do so. You'd be shocked how many bad signals turn out to be something decent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions