15 inch coil question on the Nox 800

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have decided to purchase the 15 inch coil and have placed the order.

I have thought about my type of hunting, coins in parks and relics in trashy parks (not national or state) and how the 15" will help.

main benefit for me is coverage. Lot of the parks have nice flat open spaces and same along power lines near known relic areas.

My understanding that being 15 x 12 inch there won't be a major depth advantage of the stock coil. Maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inch gained over the stock coil.

So my question is will it improve the audio signal and TID stability on targets using the 15 inch coil compared to the same targets that may be a little iffy on the stock coil?

In theory I would think that would be the case.

But I need other's opinion and experience on the question.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may make some deeper targets more stable, but it performs very similar to the stock. If you need to cover alot of ground that's reasonably flat it's a no brainer. It is only slightly heavier and barely noticeable, other than that performs very similar. It is a little more difficult to pinpoint but that's not a big deal most of the times for me, it only becomes an issue on very deep targets and then you're gonna need a bigger hole anyway. I pulled a phone from the beach at 2 feet this evening, I was getting frustrated a bit with the pinpointer until I pulled it out and realized how deep it was. Can't complain pulling out those deep targets having the sensitivity at 20 running super stable in wet sand with the 15" haha.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did some calculations and the Equnox 15 x 12" coil has 25% more coverage than the stock 11 x 11 inch coil.

That is if my calculations were correct.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may make some deeper targets more stable, but it performs very similar to the stock. If you need to cover alot of ground that's reasonably flat it's a no brainer. It is only slightly heavier and barely noticeable, other than that performs very similar. It is a little more difficult to pinpoint but that's not a big deal most of the times for me, it only becomes an issue on very deep targets and then you're gonna need a bigger hole anyway. I pulled a phone from the beach at 2 feet this evening, I was getting frustrated a bit with the pinpointer until I pulled it out and realized how deep it was. Can't complain pulling out those deep targets having the sensitivity at 20 running super stable in wet sand with the 15" haha.

You found a phone 2' deep? Was the dial intact, lol. How did a phone get that deep? Will the stock coil see a phone that deep?

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha it was a new cheaper Nokia. I don't think the stock one will but I was really impressed. My friend who uses his at-gold was scratching his head wondering what I was doing cause he didn't think it could go that deep haha. It didn't phase me how impressive it was until later, because I was using a PI machine on the beach previously.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 15 inch and in high trash areas I think your better off with the stock coil or 6 inch.

millz280

Greenie
Aug 18, 2012
I would agree I have had the 15 inch coil out three times and in trashy areas it’s just to much. But in open areas it is great for coverage. I think it’s going to be a beast at the beach haven’t had the opportunity yet since I’m in New York and it January.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can confirm with the 15 being not the best for all beaches. I have one that's ridden with nails and rebar but has some goodies in there too. I can have 3 or 4 targets under your coil at once and it just doesn't know how to give me a reading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions