Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Equinox 800 owners - was it hard to learn?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I came from the Minelab Excalibur (all tones, no screen, visual numbers or depth). Great machine on the beaches of FL, not so much on the varied terrain of Maine. It was like starting from scratch for me, which isn't a bad thing. As I believe vferrari said something to the effect in a previous post "you'll still hit on 90% of the targets regardless of the setting" (well something like that anyway). I'm finding he was right. You may miss some targets right at the beginning but you will be learning the machine and it's capabilities without sacrificing too. Hitting on the 90% keeps me from getting too discouraged too. If I can learn it (albeit slowly) without braking the machine against a tree, none should have a problem.
    Small disappointment: Yes, depth indicator. I don't really find it accurate. No biggie.
    Bigger disappointment: Fragility of construction. I like the light weight but at every turn I'm looking to see if I broke something. The biggest test will be in the spring when I start using it in the thickets up here. That cable connection to the back of the panel keeps me up at night. What kind of sad design was is that!!!
    A2coins likes this.

May 2017
    11 times
    Hi all,
    Started off with Ace 250, CS 4PI and followed with the full Deus. Most of my detecting relates to beach searches hence the purchase of the Equinox 800. After the Deus [ now sold ] it was not difficult to understand the intricacies of the 800. This machine is a delight to use and, using mainly factory settings, comes up with the goods ! Boy, does this machine go deep ! Really good targets, such as silver and gold ring up lovely firm sounds. My best find [ last week ] a stunning silver buckle, yet to be dated, but considered to be 1730 "s. Access to some great beaches here in S.Wales so consider myself to
    be very fortunate/ Can"t wait to get out again. Happy hunting folks !
    [ Forgot to add, the buckle was found on pasture land ]
    Last edited by mossy99; Mar 03, 2019 at 03:31 AM.
    CarsonChris and A2coins like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    South Bend
    ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
    91 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The 800 is my second detector and like you pulltab I study the forums, read Clives books but don't have as many hours as I'd like under my belt. That said my first detector is a ML Excal II and I got quite proficient with it many thanks to OBN whom I consider a zen master of the Excal II, also learned technique and skills from Casper though he uses a Fishers 21, of course again Clive and his books, and the forums.
    I do have to admit that for me the learning curve with the 800 is a lil longer because it has so many more bells and whistles compared to the Excal II. On the Excal II it was more about just listening to what the machine was telling me was in the ground and the setting per beach conditions are easily changed.
    A2coins likes this.

Jan 2011
    116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SurgTech57 View Post
    The 800 is my second detector and like you pulltab I study the forums, read Clives books but don't have as many hours as I'd like under my belt. That said my first detector is a ML Excal II and I got quite proficient with it many thanks to OBN whom I consider a zen master of the Excal II, also learned technique and skills from Casper though he uses a Fishers 21, of course again Clive and his books, and the forums.
    I do have to admit that for me the learning curve with the 800 is a lil longer because it has so many more bells and whistles compared to the Excal II. On the Excal II it was more about just listening to what the machine was telling me was in the ground and the setting per beach conditions are easily changed.
    Honestly and perhaps prematurely but my feeling is that learning excl to perfection is way harder than learning to use the nox.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6603 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquisitor View Post
    Honestly and perhaps prematurely but my feeling is that learning excl to perfection is way harder than learning to use the nox.
    Not around here. We pretty much run the ExCal as hot as you can and dig everything non-ferrous. Can't do that very often with the Nox. It just gets too chatty and drives you crazy with false signals.
    A2coins likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Jan 2011
    116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Not around here. We pretty much run the ExCal as hot as you can and dig everything non-ferrous. Can't do that very often with the Nox. It just gets too chatty and drives you crazy with false signals.
    What if you turned your excl's sensitivity to 10 in the sea? Wouldnt it be the same?

Excl at 10 in fresh water lakes was very challenging to learn for me. Hearing and understanding those very deep signals, learning to pinpoint when the target is very deep in fresh water, finding gold next to iron. It took me 100s of hours to become very good with it.

Searching with the nox is way easier imo. Its also a way more logical detector as well.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6603 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I do run it at 10, or auto depending on the area. With a good scoop, pin pointing shouldn't be much of an issue. Until you get used to it, it can be a challenge at night in the surf though. I run the Excal in Pin Point (all metal) when I hunt and only switch to Disc to eliminate iron. I scoop everything except what gives a dead iron sound.
    A2coins likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links