Equinox 800 owners - was it hard to learn?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My last detector was an AT Pro for three years and various detectors back to 1988.

When I sold my AT Pro and bought my Nox 800 in March 2018 I was quite surprised at what I didn't about detectors in general. The 800 took a long while of study of forum comments, Clive's two books and many hours of hunting. I am just now feeling very comfortable with and in control of the 800. I think I learned more about metal detecting in the last 6 months learning how to use the 800 than in all my years of detecting.

What was your experience coming to the 600 or 800 from another manufacturer than Minelab? I figure owners of other Minelab detectors would have had an easier time learning the 800. Also what is your major disappointment with the 800? Mine was the hype that it could unmask non-ferrous objects among ferrous only to learn about Iron falsing problem. That was my major disappointment. Mostly everything else was a big plus in my book. Oh, yeah i really don't look at the depth indicator. It is of little use since it will report a surface coin 1-2 bars down.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from White's to Minelab over a period of years. When I got the Equinox 800, it wasn't a difficult learning process. I use the same method I've used in the past when getting a new machine (I've had probably 20 new ones over the last 48 years), I go to the beach and dig everything for a good 100 hours. You learn in a hurry doing that. I actually like it's performance in heavy iron. I find it works great. I'm very pleased with the machine, but, if I had to point to one shortcoming, I would say being able to I.D. a bottle cap. I still dig tons of those. They just sound too good to ignore. Other than that, I have to say it's one of the best machines I've ever used.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the beach in wintertime is also where I was able to learn the Equinox too. Recovering targets is easier there and you can just dig it all an work on your tone ID muscle memory. On the dry sand you can experiment with any mode, not just beach. It is a great detector proving ground if you are lucky enough to have nearby access to one.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Coming from the CTX it seemed way easier to learn for me. The layout and key functions on the controller seemed logical.
Plus, all I hunt is the beach so as vferrari says it’s a great testing ground.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last detector was an AT Pro for three years and various detectors back to 1988.

When I sold my AT Pro and bought my Nox 800 in March 2018 I was quite surprised at what I didn't about detectors in general. The 800 took a long while of study of forum comments, Clive's two books and many hours of hunting. I am just now feeling very comfortable with and in control of the 800. I think I learned more about metal detecting in the last 6 months learning how to use the 800 than in all my years of detecting.

What was your experience coming to the 600 or 800 from another manufacturer than Minelab? I figure owners of other Minelab detectors would have had an easier time learning the 800. Also what is your major disappointment with the 800? Mine was the hype that it could unmask non-ferrous objects among ferrous only to learn about Iron falsing problem. That was my major disappointment. Mostly everything else was a big plus in my book. Oh, yeah i really don't look at the depth indicator. It is of little use since it will report a surface coin 1-2 bars down.

I agree with you on the learning curve. It's been a slow process of learning, coming from Garrett. It was tough to watch all the more advanced detectorist pick up the 800 so quickly. But I eventually ascertained that most people picking it up quickly were Minelab or Dues owner. I rarely deal with iron falsing. My biggest issues is aluminum showing up in the coin numbers. I was pretty good at discriminating with the pinpoint function on my ACE. I still haven't refined that skill with the 800. I'm not digging shallow full size aluminum cans any more but the park I hunt at has tons of cans, caps and can slaw. My last time out, I dug a can lid that was 12" down. I don't even know how it got that deep.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had soda can lids do that to my 800. Sounds like a silver coin. I wonder who cuts off a soda can lid and discards it? As to deep, I have found them deep also. Maybe construction or landscape workers chunk the cans. but just the can lid?

In field 2, 50 tones I can identify most soda bottle caps easy with a little whoop at the end and not crisp clipped sound like a coin. Hard to describe the whoop, maybe just a little tone change trailing.

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP was pretty simple , Then I went to deus to confused . I still have my deus but only used it once last year .I dug so many bottle caps and deep rust with the deus I lost all interest and picked up the 800 . Like a duck to water with the 800 .I found more and better items with my 800 in one season than all others combined . No learning curve just good finds and way less junk . I do better with the larger factory coil . Small coil like nails to much .

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came off of a ML Safari so the Nox was an easy transition into listening for the tones. My best education on this machine comes from lot hunting. It's like a hardware store under the soil. I run into every type of metal, relics and coins... and I like it more so than parks.

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it was easy to use, just choose one of the presets and go. I found a silver chain on the first day and gold on the second. I have used a TDI sl, Garrett Atx, sovereign gt and Excalibur. My first detector was the TDI and I started off in the dry sand with it. When it comes to the Equinox the only things I have changed from the presets are the sound and pitch of them. I switched the gold to give me a high tone and silver a low. I only hunt beaches and never ground balance and this has worked great for me. I’m rather new to detecting and all the experts that have this machine don’t ground balance either even in black sand. I have found more gold and silver with this machine then any other. The only thing I don’t like about the detector is the grip.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coming from a Garrett A250, it was very challenging to learn the 600. Now, after a few hundred hours, I love it. Use Field2 and lower sensitivity if you are digging to many false high tones. Also keep the Horseshoe on and listen for pure tones that don’t drag iron with it.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also came from at pro then I went to deus then on to equinox, equinox is much easier to learn than the deus. but overall if you did good with the at pro you will do better with the nox.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ATP was pretty simple , Then I went to deus to confused . I still have my deus but only used it once last year .I dug so many bottle caps and deep rust with the deus I lost all interest and picked up the 800 . Like a duck to water with the 800 .I found more and better items with my 800 in one season than all others combined . No learning curve just good finds and way less junk . I do better with the larger factory coil . Small coil like nails to much .

so far the 15 x 12" coil is my "go to" coil. hunting large parks and fields. The increase coverage is really sweet. No problem with weight, I use a swing harness. Maybe some extra depth, but it seems to me it make all signal sound clearer and more solid TID's. Like several said on these forums, lowering recovery speed is essential with this coil. I run mine at 4. and sensitivity between 19 - 22. Runs real quiet and picks out some stuff I and others have missed in a public soccer field.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched so many YouTube videos on the operation of the Equinox that by the time I had one in my hands it felt familiar.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't as bad for me, as I used the Minelab Explorer SE Pro before the Nox 800. Still like my Fisher CZ 5 in certain circumstances ! Now that was an easy one to learn.

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also new to this hobby. I just got my 800 a few weeks ago. But before I even had it, I was watching videos and asking lots of questions, and then after I got it I was asking a lot of follow up questions.

I have only really been able to use it once, but it was far easier than I expected.

Hey, I found a ring my first time out.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came from the Minelab Excalibur (all tones, no screen, visual numbers or depth). Great machine on the beaches of FL, not so much on the varied terrain of Maine. It was like starting from scratch for me, which isn't a bad thing. As I believe vferrari said something to the effect in a previous post "you'll still hit on 90% of the targets regardless of the setting" (well something like that anyway). I'm finding he was right. You may miss some targets right at the beginning but you will be learning the machine and it's capabilities without sacrificing too. Hitting on the 90% keeps me from getting too discouraged too. If I can learn it (albeit slowly) without braking the machine against a tree, none should have a problem.
Small disappointment: Yes, depth indicator. I don't really find it accurate. No biggie.
Bigger disappointment: Fragility of construction. I like the light weight but at every turn I'm looking to see if I broke something. The biggest test will be in the spring when I start using it in the thickets up here. That cable connection to the back of the panel keeps me up at night. What kind of sad design was is that!!!

mossy99

Greenie
May 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Started off with Ace 250, CS 4PI and followed with the full Deus. Most of my detecting relates to beach searches hence the purchase of the Equinox 800. After the Deus [ now sold ] it was not difficult to understand the intricacies of the 800. This machine is a delight to use and, using mainly factory settings, comes up with the goods ! Boy, does this machine go deep ! Really good targets, such as silver and gold ring up lovely firm sounds. My best find [ last week ] a stunning silver buckle, yet to be dated, but considered to be 1730 "s. Access to some great beaches here in S.Wales so consider myself to
be very fortunate/ Can"t wait to get out again. Happy hunting folks ! :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:
[ Forgot to add, the buckle was found on pasture land ]

Last edited:

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 800 is my second detector and like you pulltab I study the forums, read Clives books but don't have as many hours as I'd like under my belt. That said my first detector is a ML Excal II and I got quite proficient with it many thanks to OBN whom I consider a zen master of the Excal II, also learned technique and skills from Casper though he uses a Fishers 21, of course again Clive and his books, and the forums.
I do have to admit that for me the learning curve with the 800 is a lil longer because it has so many more bells and whistles compared to the Excal II. On the Excal II it was more about just listening to what the machine was telling me was in the ground and the setting per beach conditions are easily changed.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
The 800 is my second detector and like you pulltab I study the forums, read Clives books but don't have as many hours as I'd like under my belt. That said my first detector is a ML Excal II and I got quite proficient with it many thanks to OBN whom I consider a zen master of the Excal II, also learned technique and skills from Casper though he uses a Fishers 21, of course again Clive and his books, and the forums.
I do have to admit that for me the learning curve with the 800 is a lil longer because it has so many more bells and whistles compared to the Excal II. On the Excal II it was more about just listening to what the machine was telling me was in the ground and the setting per beach conditions are easily changed.

Honestly and perhaps prematurely but my feeling is that learning excl to perfection is way harder than learning to use the nox.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly and perhaps prematurely but my feeling is that learning excl to perfection is way harder than learning to use the nox.

Not around here. We pretty much run the ExCal as hot as you can and dig everything non-ferrous. Can't do that very often with the Nox. It just gets too chatty and drives you crazy with false signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread