Equinox 15 x 12 inch coil recovery speed setting.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure the the 15" coil can't work with a higher recovery speed, it is just that the recovery speed 4 is probably optimal for whatever conditions you were hunting in to get maximum depth.

What you are describing is what high recovery speed does to deep targets. The deeper the target is, the more likely the signal is to break up at a higher recovery speed. There is some ability to trade recovery speed with depth, but there are diminishing returns. Lowering recovery speed too far will result in more ground noise because your coil swing speed has to slow down, so there is typically a sweet spot. Since a larger coil will naturally detect deeper, then at depth the effect of recovery speed is more pronounced on deep targets. The absolute max depth of the other smaller coils is less so perhaps the impact of the higher recovery speed is less because, in general, the deepest detectable targets are shallower than those of the larger coil.

At the end of the day, recovery speed 4 as the optimal recovery speed for the 15" coil, sounds about right.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not sure the the 15" coil can't work with a higher recovery speed, it is just that the recovery speed 4 is probably optimal for whatever conditions you were hunting in to get maximum depth.

What you are describing is what high recovery speed does to deep targets. The deeper the target is, the more likely the signal is to break up at a higher recovery speed. There is some ability to trade recovery speed with depth, but there are diminishing returns. Lowering recovery speed too far will result in more ground noise because your coil swing speed has to slow down, so there is typically a sweet spot. Since a larger coil will naturally detect deeper, then at depth the effect of recovery speed is more pronounced on deep targets. The absolute max depth of the other smaller coils is less so perhaps the impact of the higher recovery speed is less because, in general, the deepest detectable targets are shallower than those of the larger coil.

At the end of the day, recovery speed 4 as the optimal recovery speed for the 15" coil, sounds about right.

Thanks V.

I find that the slower recovery speed and slower swing is offset by the increase in coverage and a slightly faster pace. So at 4 on the Nox 800, 15" coil is just about perfect for me. It does appear to make all targets that are not really deep sound better to my ears as a more solid response. In 50 tones I can not pretty much ID most soda type bottle caps. Screw caps, forget it, I just have to dig them.

I learn a lot because I have some friends who know a lot that I don't know. So I ask them about things I wish to know. I learned that in my Army electronics school. I was a slow learner on the repair of crypto equipment but was not afraid to ask questions, so I did ok in that course. I finished last and third in that class because for some reason only 3 of us graduated with the original class. Third sounds better than last.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltab
You were third in your class, not last, if more than 3 people originally started the class. The dropouts would be ranked below you.
Regardless, be proud of the fact that you were one of the few chosen and succeeded.
The Army is most 500,000 strong.
So I'd say you graduated third out of a class of 1/2 million.
Thank you for you service.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't stop asking questions and thanks for your service. Electronics repair is no cakewalk so be proud you qualified regardless of your class standing. Sounds like several othsrs in your Class were unable to make it through to graduation which is a testament to your ability.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since I have read about recovery speed and settings, I have been experimenting with mine, I have experiences when I have went to a site and it seems to matter what type of soil and moisture content of the soil, I have found you have to find the optimum speed of swing and the setting for recovery speed and what type of area your hunting, Wet or dry or the (The amount of trash at the site). Sometime I hit a site in different weather conditions and different settings.. sometimes when wet, 4 or 5 is killer. If its trashy 6 is good. Im always surprised at the results.. Great separation and Deep Silver!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread