Thinking about submerging my Nox 800

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I know I'm coming up on my 1 year warranty. I haven't taken my Nox out to the water. Honestly, I've been scared to do it. But I also don't want to figure out (after warranty) that my Nox isn't water proof. It seems like I remember some people had this issue.

My question... I'm planning on submerging it in the bathtub. What should I be doing to make sure "I" don't do something stupid? Do you have any suggestions to keep me from making any rookie mistakes (that potentially void my warranty)? I assume I need to have the plug for the audio jack nice and snug. I guess where the battery connects should just remain open?

Thanks for your thoughts!

OO

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I know I'm coming up on my 1 year warranty. I haven't taken my Nox out to the water. Honestly, I've been scared to do it. But I also don't want to figure out (after warranty) that my Nox isn't water proof. It seems like I remember some people had this issue.

My question... I'm planning on submerging it in the bathtub. What should I be doing to make sure "I" don't do something stupid? Do you have any suggestions to keep me from making any rookie mistakes (that potentially void my warranty)? I assume I need to have the plug for the audio jack nice and snug. I guess where the battery connects should just remain open?

Thanks for your thoughts!

OO

Of course. You want to be safe while performing such a dangerous feat...Wear a diving mask and use a snorkel, but if your tub is really deep, you might want to use a scuba tank Good Luck.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget your flippers

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
What are you hoping to find in your bathtub? If it is porcelain over metal it will not ground balance. If it is a fiberglass bathtub you might be able to find your wife's earring below the suds. whatever your reasons, I would suggest draining the tub is a lot easier[emoji370][emoji370][emoji370][emoji370]

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he just wants to see if it will leak. While some of the control heads have failed the dunk test (there will always be a small percentage that have quality issues with the cover seal or battery orings), it is not something where you should "be afraid" to use it as it was designed, especially under warranty.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, do all of the above. And wear a wetsuit to get in the proper mood. Preferably have someone take your picture and put it on your facebook page. But seriously, it has a warranty for a reason.

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little confused - which is not unusual

These units are suppose to be waterproof.

However, in another thread on this Forum, someone said:
By the way, if you happen to have a food vacuum sealer such as a Food Saver or another, you can easily build a transparent control box cover to protect the screen and control buttons. Take your time and wrap the clearer/thinner side of the bag over the entire screen and buttons (set the seam at the bottom of the control box). Just don't make it too tight around the control box since you will have to make some cuts for the cable.

Why would you do this - or need to?

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need to. I've used a few various water machines over the years and what I've concluded is that they will either leak, or not leak. You really don't have a lot of control over it lol. Most machines will be built to spec but there is always the chance of failure since they're made of mass manufactured parts.

To the original poster I say dunk test it now. It's winter and you're probably not going to miss it as much now as you would in the summer should you need to send it in for repairs. Just an FYI, dunking it a few inches in your tub won't be the same as having it 10 feet under water as you snorkel due to water pressure at depth. Still, it's better than nothing.

Giv'r :)

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people like additional protection to their control boxes and screens, to keep them looking new. Some companies make their own covers. There are also aftermarket covers, and there are even DIY covers like the person you mentioned above. You don't need a cover, its just added protection from scratches and dirt. Also some metal detectors are not water proof so a cover will help if you're out in the rain.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caution : If you submerge it in SALT water make sure you rinse it off with fresh water afterwards . Salt water is very corrosive :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I say go ahead and dunk it into the tub and see if it’s waterproof. If it leaks or not you’ll have your answer.
I’m filling up my tub with cold water as I type this.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds good. Slam dunk that dude. Wait................... don't. :laughing7:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the awesome humor here, but the easiest way is to find a local stream or golf course, or even the local marina with boat ramp. You can just wade in or go to waist deep if that's as far as you think you'll ever get to. Usually, if you're snorkeling, you won't be more than about 3-5 feet down so that should be fine. Let us know how you fare in the experiment.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to a boat ramp and get a measurement of depth (don't go over the 10 ft. limit) then put a little weight on the detector and lower it down on a rope let it stay for a while then bring it out and see if it works. If it works stop worrying and if it doesn't work send it to minelab to fix the problem.

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the 800, are the wireless headphones that come with it suppose to be waterproof as well?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if the control head is submerged wireless doesn't work because BT can only penetrate small distances in water. If you are in the water, best to use wired phones unless you are only knee deep or so.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But going on what holephcher said, when you attach the rope, do not be tempted to swing it around your head a few times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread