Tones 1,2,5, and 50. Does anyone use 1 tone?

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
I have been reading about the Equinox 800 here and have started reading the manual before I make a purchase. I have a lot to learn. Reading through the threads and watching YouTube videos, I don’t see anyone using single tone. Why and in what situations would you use one tone?
Thanks for the help, especially V. Ferrari who is always gracious with his answers.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: multi tone gives the operator more useful information. Now with that said, if I was at a seeded hunt on the beach one-tone could be an option. In those hunts you would turn down the sensitivity since items planted would be no deeper than a few inches. So if it "beeps" you dig or scoop and move on. These hunts are based on speed of finding and recovering targets. You just need a que that something is under your coil.

I Hope this helps in this one hunting condition!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely love 1 tone. I jump between Gold 1 and Park 1 for my hunting. Gold is my saved profile as I find it's super deep, extremely fast response time, be better with the 6" coil, but the stock works well. I'm positive that if someone were to use gold and field or park you could benefit greatly seeing how many targets are between what sounds good. I have no qualms about 20/40khz vs the Multi profiles in Park and field.

In short, Tl;Dr I love the 1/single tone.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Explorer the choices are Ferrous,Conductive and Constant...Constant being a single tone for everything. On my CTX it’s just called “1 Tone”. If you run discrimination and are looking for targets ONLY within that pattern, you can still tell much about that single tone by how “clean” it is,duration,intensity,etc. It’s either used for that or a “dig it all” situation. I’ve heard it can provide a bit more depth because it doesn’t have to undergo as much processing,but I haven’t used single tone as it doesn’t fit my process. But yeah,you would either need a pattern or be digging everything as stated above.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prius, V and I were out PLAYING at the ocean today. He may come on soon. I got home just a little bit ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V should have a very, very good answer to your question.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, on my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I only need one tone. If it gives a double beep, i know it's good and i dig.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a minimum of 2 tone rarely, but typically 50 tone, as I want to at least differentiate the ferrous from non-ferrous. Gold mode use pitch audio only which does not give tone ID but the pitch and intensity of the tone varies with proximity of the coil to the target, similar to pinpoint mode except that the coil has to be in motion to get the audio in gold mode. HTH.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a minimum of 2 tone rarely, but typically 50 tone, as I want to at least differentiate the ferrous from non-ferrous. Gold mode use pitch audio only which does not give tone ID but the pitch and intensity of the tone varies with proximity of the coil to the target, similar to pinpoint mode except that the coil has to be in motion to get the audio in gold mode. HTH.

Thoughts on a disc on 0 or something similar to running the f75 with disc on 6 to try and eliminate nails ect? I always run the least amount of discrimination (usually none) while using all my machines. Might work in some locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread