Daltontribe

Greenie
Mar 27, 2012
Southwest Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and Xterra 705, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seem to many reviews and praises/criticisms on here of the update and was wondering what everyone thought about the update. I have installed it and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and cannot quite make up my mind on if it is a good one or not. The internet is quite up and down about it, so i thought i'd seek out some expert advice form here.

Daniel

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I updated and was a little disappointed with the pinpoint on mid conductors. I kept finding silver coins and just left it as is. Machine still gets it done.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot on that very subject on the Minelab Forum for Equinox. I went back and forth as well, settled on the "Pre-update" version. Click onto "Forum" near top of page, then scroll down to "Metal Detecting Forum", where you will see "Brands", click "Minelab", and then pick "Equinox".

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone back and forth as well. The "Pre-Update" version I was able to distinguish between pennies and dimes easier. Pennies were usually 20/21 and dimes 24-26 but after the update I found many pennies in the 24-26 range and since I hunt modern parks I get tired of digging pennies. However I can say I have tested many coins on edge and silver rings of various sizes and the "Pre-update" version will miss them from a least one direction if not both, but usually just one direction. I could argue that you would likely find these targets if you were properly gridding an old site. (I did hit on nickels on edge though)

I tested the update 1.5 this weekend again and I noticed that the update utility version went from 1.0.4(aug18) to 1.1.1 (dec 3, 18) not sure if this is significant but after the update I had no problem detecting any of the coins or rings on edge from any direction and the penny dime issue did not seem to be an issue? (Especially in Field 2 with 50 tones it was easier to notice a change in tone on the dimes). You do lose depth with coins on edge as expected I was only able to air test at about 6" for a quarter. However I haven't tested this again in the field because we have 8" inches of snow outside.

So for now I am going to leave it on the latest version and do some more field testing. The update did not seem to have any effect on the averaging of targets. For example a nail on top of a quarter or very close to a quarter will either mask the target completely or bring the average down to 14-18. So if you don't have the small coil you should be digging everything at trashy or old sites.

Just in case anyone is interested I did the coin and ring edge test with my Fishers F22 and it pretty much failed every test.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The general consensus on the update is to flip a coin. Lol. eman1000's writeup above seems to capture the difference between pre- and post update well. It really is a try em both and see which one you prefer proposition. I think you will not miss many targets either way.

Regarding the update utility version update - there was no change to the Equinox operating firmware (original or updated), the utility was updated to work more reliably on non-Win 10 machines.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a quick way to determine which version is installed on the Equinox?

An easy way to tell is put a dime/quater on edge. If you can't hit it then you are on the original version. If you can then your all up to date.
-Other than using a PC I don't believe it says the version on the screen anywhere.

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have expected the version number to be displayed when you turn on the detector. But I guess not. Silly me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread