Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Daltontribe
  • 3 Post By HighVDI
  • 1 Post By sprailroad
  • 2 Post By eman1000
  • 1 Post By vferrari
  • 2 Post By Shooting Star
  • 1 Post By RustyGold
  • 1 Post By eman1000
  • 1 Post By Shooting Star

Thread: Equinox Update

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Southwest Washington
    Minelab Equinox 800 and Xterra 705, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Equinox Update

I have not seem to many reviews and praises/criticisms on here of the update and was wondering what everyone thought about the update. I have installed it and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and cannot quite make up my mind on if it is a good one or not. The internet is quite up and down about it, so i thought i'd seek out some expert advice form here.

Daniel
    A2coins likes this.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3721 times
    Metal Detecting
    I updated and was a little disappointed with the pinpoint on mid conductors. I kept finding silver coins and just left it as is. Machine still gets it done.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    2924 times
    There is a lot on that very subject on the Minelab Forum for Equinox. I went back and forth as well, settled on the "Pre-update" version. Click onto "Forum" near top of page, then scroll down to "Metal Detecting Forum", where you will see "Brands", click "Minelab", and then pick "Equinox".
    Last edited by sprailroad; Jan 21, 2019 at 06:16 AM.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    Whites V3i, Whites MX5, Fisher F22
    465 times
    I've gone back and forth as well. The "Pre-Update" version I was able to distinguish between pennies and dimes easier. Pennies were usually 20/21 and dimes 24-26 but after the update I found many pennies in the 24-26 range and since I hunt modern parks I get tired of digging pennies. However I can say I have tested many coins on edge and silver rings of various sizes and the "Pre-update" version will miss them from a least one direction if not both, but usually just one direction. I could argue that you would likely find these targets if you were properly gridding an old site. (I did hit on nickels on edge though)

I tested the update 1.5 this weekend again and I noticed that the update utility version went from 1.0.4(aug18) to 1.1.1 (dec 3, 18) not sure if this is significant but after the update I had no problem detecting any of the coins or rings on edge from any direction and the penny dime issue did not seem to be an issue? (Especially in Field 2 with 50 tones it was easier to notice a change in tone on the dimes). You do lose depth with coins on edge as expected I was only able to air test at about 6" for a quarter. However I haven't tested this again in the field because we have 8" inches of snow outside.

So for now I am going to leave it on the latest version and do some more field testing. The update did not seem to have any effect on the averaging of targets. For example a nail on top of a quarter or very close to a quarter will either mask the target completely or bring the average down to 14-18. So if you don't have the small coil you should be digging everything at trashy or old sites.

Just in case anyone is interested I did the coin and ring edge test with my Fishers F22 and it pretty much failed every test.
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6213 times
    The general consensus on the update is to flip a coin. Lol. eman1000's writeup above seems to capture the difference between pre- and post update well. It really is a try em both and see which one you prefer proposition. I think you will not miss many targets either way.

Regarding the update utility version update - there was no change to the Equinox operating firmware (original or updated), the utility was updated to work more reliably on non-Win 10 machines.
    A2coins likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Mar 2019
    Southern California
    Minelab Equinox 800
    157 times
    Is there a quick way to determine which version is installed on the Equinox?
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.
    Mineland Equinox 800

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre 720i Stealth Scoop
    6637 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Iím under the impression you have to download the update to your computer then hookup your Equinox with the supplied cable to check the software version you have.
    Hereís the link:
    https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/33...DATE%20A4%20EN
    Last edited by RustyGold; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    Whites V3i, Whites MX5, Fisher F22
    465 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
    Is there a quick way to determine which version is installed on the Equinox?
    An easy way to tell is put a dime/quater on edge. If you can't hit it then you are on the original version. If you can then your all up to date.
    -Other than using a PC I don't believe it says the version on the screen anywhere.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2019
    Southern California
    Minelab Equinox 800
    157 times
    I would have expected the version number to be displayed when you turn on the detector. But I guess not. Silly me.
    A2coins likes this.
    Mineland Equinox 800

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links