Pin Pointer Question

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this hobby so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me.

I just bought and received yesterday my new Equinox 800 and Garrett Pro Pointer AT.

The question I have concerns the pointer.

I have no metal in my body other than in my mouth and teeth.

However, when I point the pointer at my body, or wear it on my belt in its holder, it goes off. It seems to be detecting metal in my body, especially in my ankles.

If I am trying to find something in the dirt, it goes off if it gets near me.

It does this no matter what sensitivity its set on. So if I have it on and it is near me, it beeps.

Have you heard of this before? Is it defected?

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First - Only turn it on when you are using it to recover a target. Second - You need to turn it on with the tip pressed to the ground so it has the proper ground reference. Turning it on at random and the placing it next to your body could cause it to go off simply because of the difference in ground potential between various parts of your body vs. it's reference point which is wherever it was when you turned it on.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari - Thank you again for your help and answer.

Makes total sense. I knew I did not have metal in my body unless I was bionic and my parents never told me!

So put the tip in the ground before turning it on. Great to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread