Help finding small Gold

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up studs on beach 2 in the wet sand. They usually come though from like 3-7. Hope that helps, I've found gold rings that weigh less that give similar responses too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold 1 and 2 should be your best bet. Field 2 seems to be the next best, but, the Gold modes are much better. Try running the sensitivity up as high as you can while keeping the threshold stable. If there a lot of other targets in the area, raise the recovery speed higher and swing a bit slower.

OP
OP
E

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To look for the lost diamond with gold stud earring I used the Gold1 setting. When the other earring was placed on the ground I had to be closer than 1 inch to get any signal. when sweeping the coil over the grass with the coil on the grass I easley could be over an inch from the ground. What I need is settings that I can use in Gold 1 or 2 that would make it more sensitive to small gold. A program like the one I want would would be useless on the beach as it would hit every piece of trash but when looking in a specific area may be useful. As a note I hunt beaches in Florida on the Gulf side and have found many rings but the amount of gold on a diamond stud earring is very very small.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed,

Here's what I would do.

Gold mode recovery speed setting and iron bias settings may be too high (both default to 6 in Gold 1)and unless you have highly variable ground readings at your search site, turn GB tracking OFF and do and auto (or manual) GB. Lower recovery speed to 4 or less so you can get a better signal return and this should help with depth and turn Iron Bias off to prevent your signal from being masked. If you are trying to get TID (like 1 or 2) and lowering recovery speed did not help, then you may want to bump threshold and just listen for changes in threshold. You may also want to just go with single frequency (20 or 40 KHZ) see which once gives you a better response. Crank sens as high as you can without causing chatter. Once you have adjusted the detector to be as hot and responsive as possible on your test target by adjusting the parameters I have suggested, go find that other stud.

Also, I suspect that you don't have to just do this in Gold mode. I would experiment with Park 2 with the same settings (Iron Bias is already 0 in Park 2, but lower recovery speed from 6 to 4). Use All Metal, Auto GB (not tracking), and crank the volume on the TID segment that the earring rings up in. Good luck.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Equinox 600 so no gold mode for me to test. I did test a small gold earring back and the only mode that would even give me signal was Park 2.
Iron Bias 0, recovery speed 2, 50 tone. The back of the earring is an incredibly small piece though. It only registered a 1 on the screen. When recovery was bumped up to 3 the signal was lost.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Equinox 600 so no gold mode for me to test. I did test a small gold earring back and the only mode that would even give me signal was Park 2.
Iron Bias 0, recovery speed 2, 50 tone. The back of the earring is an incredibly small piece though. It only registered a 1 on the screen. When recovery was bumped up to 3 the signal was lost.

Yep, that is why I recommended Park 2 as an alternative above while lowering recovery speed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions