Equinox complete carbon-fiber shafts NOW AVAILABLE!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally been able to kick into shaft production mode, after the last of the long-awaited parts shipment arrived last Wednesday. Shaft building has been underway since, and I'm happy to say that I've managed to start shipping a first handful of shafts to customers on the wait list.

Everyone who has contacted me in the past, and had their name added to the wait list requesting a shaft from the "first batch," has been contacted; each of these customers' shafts are complete -- and are now in the midst of a few days worth of epoxy-cure time. I expect all customers on the wait list, who requested a shaft from the first batch and have been contacted within the past week, will have their shafts ready to ship by Wendesday or Thursday.

MEANWHILE, I have more than enough parts to build a couple of dozen shafts beyond those allocated to customers currently on my wait list. So, if you are interested in purchasing a shaft, please contact me, or be on the lookout for a "for sale" ad in the classified forum later this week.
Finally, I have typed up a couple of detailed documents as well -- one providing lots of information on the counterweights (including assistance/advice on how to choose the "right" length/weight for your personal needs), and then a second document discussing the "spring button hole" option that is being offered, for those who feel they may wish to still utilize the spring button in the lower shaft.

Please contact me if you would like to receive either or both of these two documents, or if you have any other questions regarding the new, complete carbon-fiber shafts now available for your Minelab Equinox!

THANKS!

Steve

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I am new to this and I just purchased the Nox 800.

There has to be a reason(s) I am not understanding why everyone or so many people want this carbon shaft? It sound great!

What are the advantages I am not seeing? Is there something wrong with the shaft that comes with the unit?

I am just curious. Thank you

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
saanich2018 -- you ask a very good question, and Indiana Mark pointed to one of the main reasons...

Here's what I can tell you...

When I decided to embark on this project, I had four goals -- four objectives -- that I wanted to accomplish, after having swung the Equinox for 6 months. In that time, I reached the conclusion that Minelab packed an impressive, outstanding amount of engineering/performance -- as they are well-known for doing -- into the Equinox. BUT -- to accomplish such an attractive price point, I also concluded that they had to "cut some corners" to hit that price point; specifically, it became clear to me that the SHAFT SYSTEM Minelab chose to use, is the one area where those "corners were cut," so to speak. The shaft is, in my view, the one "inferior" part of an otherwise outstanding machine. SO, I decided to try and do something about that. Which brings me back to those four objectives I came up with...

When I decided to try and "upgrade" the shaft system, my goal was to make the shaft as "high-end" as I could, which to me is a better "match" for the "high-end" performance the machine offers. The stock shaft, in my mind, is a bit of a mis-match; it's wobbly; it employs those dreaded "twist locks," and I HATE button holes! I have been spoiled -- by MINELAB, ironically -- after all those years of swinging FBS machines, where with the simple flip of a cam-lock lever, you have universal adjustment length options for your lower rod. Oh, and I guess I was ALSO spoiled a bit -- once again by MINELAB's FBS machines -- by what I consider to be superior aesthetics of carbon-fiber shafts...

SO -- my four objectives were:

1. FIX THE WOBBLE! Design a very stout/secure shaft -- built around an extremely strong/secure cam-locking system

2. ELIMINATE the spring button/button hole design, and instead design the shaft for universal lower rod adjustment capability (through the inclusion of the clamping cam lock)

3. IMPROVE THE ERGONOMICS! The Equinox, despite its very light weight, is nose-heavy, especially when running the larger coils

4. IMPROVE THE AESTHETICS! Again, offer a high-end carbon-fiber shaft, to give the machine a more "high-end" look, to match its "high-end" performance...

Essentially, my thoughts were that if I could pull this off in the way I had hoped, it would essentially turn the machine into an "Equinox 1000." So, I worked hard during the design and testing phases of the project, to make sure that I could meet the goals/objectives that I was focused on. With the shaft -- and the optional counterbalance system to improve the nose-heaviness of the machine -- now finally in production mode, in my opinion I believe that I have achieved the goals I set out to achieve. I'm very happy with the final product, and hopefully others will be, as well.

Hopefully, in my typically long-winded way, I've answered your questions, saanich. THANKS for asking!

Steve

Last edited:

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Makes total logical sense!

So what is the cost of your shafts?

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saanich --

You are welcome!

It's a hard question to answer simply, as there are so many options/configurations, plus the ability to customize to your individual needs -- and thus different prices for the different options...

The easiest way to answer is to say that a "basic" complete-shaft system -- i.e. carbon-fiber upper, with four arm-cuff adjustment holes, one control-box-handle hole, a regular end cap (not the threaded butt-end/threaded end cap, which is included on the shaft that is designed to be compatible with the counterbalance system), and then a standard 26" carbon-fiber lower rod (with the spring button installed, so as to be compatible with the Minelab shaft), is $129 plus shipping....

The longer answer is, I have typed up a detailed information sheet, in Word, that I email out to any interested customer. If you would like the sheet, just send me a PM, with your email address included, and I'll email it to you.

THANKS!

Steve

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20190202_135200.jpg

Woooo hooooo! Time to open...

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI --

NICE! I look forward to you thoughts once you get it opened up and eveything assembled/attached!

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI --

NICE! I look forward to you thoughts once you get it opened up and eveything assembled/attached!

Steve

Literally feels like a completely different machine! Added weight to make it feel lighter while swinging....who would have known? Quality is a 10 out of 10 along with functionality. The cam lock is rock solid and the machine just feels like a "higher end" unit when handling. Awesome job Steve. Two thumbs up!

20190202_150436.jpg

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI --

THANKS for the terrific review of the new shaft! I am thrilled that you like it, and that you feel it "upgrades" the machine. As I have said a few times elsewhere, I really do think that the shaft that Minelab chose to include with the Equinox is "not quite befitting" of the amount of performance Minelab packed into this unit! The EQX needs a shaft, in my opinion, that is of a quality level more akin to that of the rest of the unit. My goal was to build such a shaft; it will be up to everyone else to decide if I came close. So far, so good!

Thanks!!

Steve

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my complete shaft setup today! Awesome quality parts and perfect fit and feel! Cant wait to try it out on a hunt. Thanks for the excellent service and fast shipment Steve!

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben,

SUPER! Great to hear that you are pleased with the shaft! Let me know what you think, after you've had a chance to hunt with it. THANK YOU!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all!

Now that I've worked through the customers on my initial "wait list," shafts are now ready for general sale. I've posted a "for sale" ad, in the classifieds, for anyone interested!

THANKS!

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190203_143611.jpg 20190203_122433.jpg 20190203_122154.jpg 20190203_122241.jpg

Steves's shafts are sturdy, no flex, tight locks, and robust enough to survive conditions like this plus gold first time out with my new Steve shaft - so they are lucky as well (your results may vary 8-)). Highly recommended. 4 hours of swinging the big Equinox 15x12 coil with little arm fatigue.

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Rusty and vferrari!

I appreciate the mini-review, vferrari. Glad the shaft may have helped to give you a bit of luck, and REALLY happy that you found it sturdy, tight, and with no flex. That's the intent of the design; great to hear it confirmed, in tough conditions.

THANKS!

Steve

OP
OP
sgoss66

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, all! Just wanted to make a quick post to say that the first shipment of parts I've been waiting on arrived today, which will allow me to begin building the next production run of Equinox shafts, and thus get my inventory re-stocked, over the next few days. If you are interested, or have been waiting for this "second batch" of shafts, now is a great time to contact me. I have a "for sale" ad up, in the classifieds section, with more details.

THANKS!

Steve

Parts(reduced).jpg

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are on the fence about whether or not to get one of Steve's carbon fiber Equinox shafts, just get one. Quality is outstanding! I optioned mine with holes drilled in the upper shaft for the lower shaft lock pin, but I can simply rotate the the lower rod 180 degrees if I wish to have infinite adjustment. Also got a counterweight for the shaft. I never noticed just how nose heavy the Equinox is (11" coil") until I compared the balance of the detector with and without the weight. Sure, it's heavier now, but very well balanced. Well worth the price!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I received mine a few weeks back and love it. Great customer service and top notch product.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions