Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone…

I’ve been tussling with something the past few days since reading a post regarding sens settings to bring out the deep squeakers (mainly silver and wheats).

I’m not hearing deep squeakers with my Nox the way I do with my Safari, or my buddies Etrac and Explorer. I don’t have confidence in the air tests nor freshly buried coins so my test results are inconclusive.

Are you hearing deep squeakers at a lower sens of say, 16 or 18 without losing noticeable depth? I’m running my Nox at 22-23 and I hear loud shallow signals…even the coppers are loud at 5-6”. Would the high sens setting be drowning out the deep coins? I haven’t dug a deep silver yet with the Nox.

I appreciate your feedback

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can run 22/23 stable then I would set your threshold as barely audible or just under audible if you don't like to hear the hum and that should be getting you max depth. assuming ground balance and noise cancel. (Not aware of drowning out deep coins due to increase in sens)

Now you might be picking up more trash and its possible the coins are not coming through masked by trash or the vdi is lower or jumpier than what you would typically think. You might run with the metal (horseshoe) on and list for how trashy your spot is. Maybe did some of those iffy signal when the depth meter is peaked and you might learn something and get lucky

It might likely be you just haven't run into any deep coins yet though..HH

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox has minimal modulation with depth. That means if it can be detected at depth, it will still come in pretty strong, just as aluminum cans sound like a 2-inch quarter. The only caveat being coins on edge or at the edge of detectability will have unreliable TIDs. But the tone volume will still be fairly loud even if the tone ID is incorrect or unstable. The only mode that may give you squeaker audio is gold mode because it is VCO pitch based and has a true threshold that enhances the ability to discern super weak signals if set properly.

As far as high sensitivity drowning out signals. My deepest coin finds have come in the wet sand of the tide line - several 15+ inch nickels at 25 sense (Beach 1) and the signals were unmistakable normal volume tones, not squeakers. HTH.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend watching some of HighVDI’s YouTube videos. He uses an 800, hunts mostly old parks and pulls a lot of deep silvers. He uses Park1 and maybe some top secret settings as well.

It’s pretty amazing to watch his recoveries. He somehow isolates deep high tones. They don’t seem to be the banging 2” quarter type tones, more of a hidden hightone his settings, slow swing rate and experience sniff out. He digs a nice 6” plug, then usually needs to go a few more inches down to recover the silver.

I’ve gone out with him a number of times and watched him resweep an area I’ve hit and pull a War Nic or Rosie.

His channel was Wash-Pa-diggers, I think it is now Finders Keepers.

If there is a single tip, I would say his very slow (like 50% slower than my standard swing) swing rate allows him and the Nox to separate and allow the deep hightone to beep through.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread