Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, glad to hear your Nox is feeling better. That's the only thing about coil covers, you have to keep check on them to ensure nothing has gotten into them to drive your MD crazy. I have never really been a fan of coil covers for that reason.

This one looks like it actually needs a cold cover it’s not like the AT Pro coil cover that you just slip on there and it falls off . It’s almost as if you open up your cold and clean them out and put it back

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it now you reminded me I have to factory reset and change the fluid in my coil too I am sure its filthy and way over mileage. I shouldn't have read this.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one looks like it actually needs a cold cover it’s not like the AT Pro coil cover that you just slip on there and it falls off . It’s almost as if you open up your cold and clean them out and put it back

That’s exactly what it is

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s exactly what it is

Now your phone/keyboard is acting up, Truth. It is making you look like you are talking to yourself. Get it fixed! You might need to clean out your phone case...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etex, the only time I washed off a coil or machine was to take it on an airplane last weekend!

baddley

Jan 28, 2019
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exactly is this done, do you have to take the plastic off of the bottom of the coil?

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an 800 too. I'm not sure if it has it, but I would try to find out if you can "reset" the machine back to factory settings. I know my old f75 I could do that and it would fix strange problems. I just never know how to do it unless I need it. lol

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine acts a little unstable when the coil cover needs taken off and scrubed.

After using my new EQ-800 a few times last year, I put it away for winter. What I did was to thoroughly clean and dry the coil and its cover, and then to apply a bead of black RTV silicone all around the top edges of the cover once it was installed. It takes a lot of time and the silicone must not be allowed to get inside the cover, just along the top edge. I have done that with several detectors I have owned in the past, but the most difficult to do so far is the Equinox.

And yes, the easiest thing to do is just to remove and rinse the coil cover, but I am too lazy I guess :)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How exactly is this done, do you have to take the plastic off of the bottom of the coil?

Yeah I used a eye glass screwdriver. It’s easy. My 15” was acting up as well thought I was gonna have to send it back. It had some high mineralized swamp mud in there.

I rough on my equipment and detect often so I’m not the norm.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After using my new EQ-800 a few times last year, I put it away for winter. What I did was to thoroughly clean and dry the coil and its cover, and then to apply a bead of black RTV silicone all around the top edges of the cover once it was installed. It takes a lot of time and the silicone must not be allowed to get inside the cover, just along the top edge. I have done that with several detectors I have owned in the past, but the most difficult to do so far is the Equinox.

And yes, the easiest thing to do is just to remove and rinse the coil cover, but I am too lazy I guess :)

You’re from Alaska you’re not lazy I’m from Louisiana where are the laziest but thank God it ain’t that hard.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re from Alaska you’re not lazy I’m from Louisiana where are the laziest but thank God it ain’t that hard.
:laughing7:

Ha! The older I get the more lazy (or maybe comfortable?) I get. I remember a few years ago when I could stay awake through the night salmon fishing, or just taking photos of the Auroras, and nowadays I get sleepy by 10:00PM.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use a coil cover never have never will and havent had any issues

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread