Questions about Signals with my finds

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not able to find anything else in the same hole or area. I double checked it even with my hand held pin pointer.

But, what could have been in the hole which would have caused a lower VDI reading? If there had been something else with it (metal), wouldn't it have read higher?

Also, RobNC above, said, "...the horseshoe button and go pseudo-all metal." Will someone please explain to me about the iron/horse shoe button and when you use it. In the manual it just calls it the "all metal" button and only refers to it on the bottom of page 49.

Thanks

The dime may have been sitting on edge. It will give a different VDI.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a theory but haven't tested it yet but I found some strange "iron" pieces that I can easily discriminate out with my f22 and Whites mx5 that the Equinox hits 18/19 on. So I am really think that the Equinox knows something that the other machines don't and there is maybe high copper or brass content in the rusty iron.
I'm going to sand a few of the samples and run them through a spectrometer and see what the results are. (I'll report back on this maybe in a new thread)

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have a theory but haven't tested it yet but I found some strange "iron" pieces that I can easily discriminate out with my f22 and Whites mx5 that the Equinox hits 18/19 on. So I am really think that the Equinox knows something that the other machines don't and there is maybe high copper or brass content in the rusty iron.
I'm going to sand a few of the samples and run them through a spectrometer and see what the results are. (I'll report back on this maybe in a new thread)

I'd guess the reason the two mentioned units id the pieces of iron better is because they're lower gain units (compared to the EQ).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess the reason the two mentioned units id the pieces of iron better is because they're lower gain units (compared to the EQ).

Agree, what causes falsing off small iron is usually the distorted magnetic field pattern off the end of long thin objects that can emulate a higher conductive round target. But it can also occur due to mixed, discrete composition elements. This is true of targets like bottlecaps which are comprised not of alloys but metal clad like clad coins. On edge or worn clad can fool detectors too with variable TIDs due to the discrete clad layers being exposed to the detector. Would be interested in the spectroscopy results on the samples, but I just consider falsing an occupational hazard that you can sometimes pick up on with other clues such as the audio distortion of the high tone or using the pinpointer function to trace the footprint of the target which can reveal large flat or round iron targets.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK let me ask another question along with this subject.

I have a chance to go search around an old cabin. It's located in the woods in the Tennessee Smokey mountains, where you have to hike into it. It was built in the mid 1800's, but has been in ruins since about the 1940's. My grandfather was born in this cabin.

As far as I know, no one has ever search the area before.

What setting should I use? Park? Field? 1 or 2?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own a nox but i can tell you i have dug a few silver dimes that rang up very low...Zink penny range. once they were out of the hole they rang up high again. Nothing in the hole with them so i suspect it may have been the position of the dime in conjunction with selected Frequency and Ground mineralization. I dug them because the tone was good.
My advice...get away from relying on VID you will pass up lots of good targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK let me ask another question along with this subject.

I have a chance to go search around an old cabin. It's located in the woods in the Tennessee Smokey mountains, where you have to hike into it. It was built in the mid 1800's, but has been in ruins since about the 1940's. My grandfather was born in this cabin.

As far as I know, no one has ever search the area before.

What setting should I use? Park? Field? 1 or 2?

I think I'd start a grid with Park 1 in one direction, and then go back over it in Field 2 90 degrees from the first direction, but, don't be afraid to experiment. Each site is different with a variety of ground conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread