General Question Use on Equinox 800 - Coil Connection

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this, so please forgive for all my questions.

I have a new Equinox 800. I have only used it twice for a total of about an hour - but I have already found $1.25 in change.

Anyway, my question today concerns the coil and the attachment on the shaft. How tight should it be?

It seems every time I stop to dig on a signal, when I lay the 800 down on the ground, the coil will change positions and lay flat, then I have to push it back into the position I need for swinging it.

I did not want to over tighten the coil connection, but should it be able to flex and move some?

If I hold the 800 in my left hand and hold the coil with my right hand, I can shift the coil in the pivot direction back and forth with minimum effort. It is not loose but it is not overly tight.

Is this correct? I was figuring it should not be to tight, so if it struck the ground or an object it would have some play in it.

Again, this may be a stupid question and obvious to most of you, but I do not want to damage this unit and I want to learn to do it correctly.

Last edited:

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is correct. I keep mine just loose enough that when laying it down the coil flattens, then when I pick it up to hunt again, I just hold it at hunting length and push the coil on the ground to get it parallel to the ground again.

HH!

-Bill

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the exact same issue. I have mine just tight enough for the coil to move by hand or when I sit it down, but not so loose that it moves when I bump a stick.
But I have no idea if that is correct?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my machines, I always have them tight enough they do not move when I set them down. I've done this with all brands, never had a problem.

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On all the detectors I have had and the ones I use to this day, the coil is just tight enough for it to slightly move when I place it on the ground. Then when I pick it up and before start "swinging" the coil again, I level it with the ground (lightly press the coil on the ground, and change the shat's angle). Also, if I decide the extend or retract the shaft I can easily re-level the coil by placing it it flat on the ground instead of having to raise to level it by hand. And if for whatever reason I swing the coil over the ground a little farther than usual ahead of my shoes, I still can easily level it on the ground as mentioned above. Please note that rubber grommets at each side of the coil ears are used to allow for the coil to have some movement.

That said, whatever works for you is fine, too. There aren't set rules about how tight on the shaft the coil should be. Just keep in mind that over-tightening can stress the coil's plastic ears (or whatever these tabs are called).

The following is found in the coil assembly instructions of the Equinox manual:
Attach coil to lower shaft
1. Insert the two yoke washers into the holes on either side of the yoke.=
2. Slide the yoke into the yoke bracket on top of the coil. Ensure that the spring loaded pin in the lower shaft is
underneath.
3. Insert the yoke bolt through the yoke and the yoke bracket.
4. Fasten with the yoke nut - Do not over-tighten.

Last edited:

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to add that I keep mine just tight enough that if it does move when I lay it down it is a minimal amount.
While we are at it, what about coil wire wrapping around the shaft? What is the best practice on that? Some people just wrap from coil end all the way up. Some run the coil wire straight from coil for a certain distance then wrap around the shaft to control unit. I use little velcro wire holders on my coil wire. Have ran mine both ways and it seems to be better when I run the coil end of the wire straight on the bottom shaft then start wrapping once I almost reach the middle shaft on up to the control unit.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is correct. I keep mine just loose enough that when laying it down the coil flattens, then when I pick it up to hunt again, I just hold it at hunting length and push the coil on the ground to get it parallel to the ground again.

HH!

-Bill

DITTO, works well for me

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to add that I keep mine just tight enough that if it does move when I lay it down it is a minimal amount.
While we are at it, what about coil wire wrapping around the shaft? What is the best practice on that? Some people just wrap from coil end all the way up. Some run the coil wire straight from coil for a certain distance then wrap around the shaft to control unit. I use little velcro wire holders on my coil wire. Have ran mine both ways and it seems to be better when I run the coil end of the wire straight on the bottom shaft then start wrapping once I almost reach the middle shaft on up to the control unit.

I wrap the cable starting a few inches above the coil. This leaves an uncoiled section of cable that allows for some cable flexing when one or the other coil tip (front or back tips at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions) move up or down. Just like it is shown on page 7 of the manual.
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1 Inst. Manual, EQUINOX 600 800 EN.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread