Discussion on Equinox Coil Covers

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11")
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I've been out a few times now with my Equinox what I notice is a lot of dried grass, dirt, and other gunk gets under the coil cover.
I've had my coil cover off about 4 times now cleaning under it. What I've noticed is that the coil cover does not seem to fit that great. Has anyone else noticed this with their Equinox coil covers?
I've made sure it snaps on properly at all points, but things still get under there. I've also noticed on my stock coil the epoxy doesn't seem to be all the way throughout underneath. Probably nothing but had to mention that too.

So far what I've been doing is after every 2 hunts with it, remove the cover and take a damp paper towel to clean the bottom of the coil, the sides, and the inside of the coil cover. I realize after time this is going to make it even weaker. So if anyone has an idea on how to better seal up that coil cover without hurting anything I would be interested to hear it.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine fits perfect.

I always take the coil cover off and clean it after every hunt.

No probs.

Matt.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took mine off yesterday and cleaned it and didn’t find much of anything under it. Maybe a little bit of sand because I beach hunt a lot. I bought mine last March and this is my first cleaning. It may get worse after I take it a few more times though. Only time will tell.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I've been out a few times now with my Equinox what I notice is a lot of dried grass, dirt, and other gunk gets under the coil cover.
I've had my coil cover off about 4 times now cleaning under it. What I've noticed is that the coil cover does not seem to fit that great. Has anyone else noticed this with their Equinox coil covers?
I've made sure it snaps on properly at all points, but things still get under there. I've also noticed on my stock coil the epoxy doesn't seem to be all the way throughout underneath. Probably nothing but had to mention that too.

So far what I've been doing is after every 2 hunts with it, remove the cover and take a damp paper towel to clean the bottom of the coil, the sides, and the inside of the coil cover. I realize after time this is going to make it even weaker. So if anyone has an idea on how to better seal up that coil cover without hurting anything I would be interested to hear it.

I was just going to call up minelab and see how much a couple spares will cost.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now remove mine after each hunt and can't believe how much filters in because of the fit on the stock coil. I also make sure it is fully fitted but it has voids at the larger spokes of the coil. This coming week I will be taking photos of the voids and taking it up with Minelab.

OP
OP
R

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone been brave enough to use a small bead of clear silicone sealant on the exterior of the coil where it meets the coil cover at all points? I can see where it would seal it off for good, but the negative on that is the question of whether or not since it would be sealed would moisture accumulate between the cover and coil (temperature changes, etc.).

Another idea I'm kicking around in my head (it's been kicked to death) is using some Temflex 2155 on the edges where coil meets coil cover. This would indeed add some sealing power but not be permanent and not damage the coil or cover. I've used this stuff for a lot of things.
For anyone not familiar with it, it's a rubber splicing tape. It costs about $3.00 for a 22 ft roll. It has a plain rubber surface on one side and cloth cover on the other. You remove the cloth cover (it is not sticky) after cutting off the amount you want. In application, the two rubber ends will semi-bond when stretched. Not a tight bond but enough to hold it. Again, there is absolutely zero residue or adhesive in this product. The more you stretch it the thinner it gets, within reason.
The primary use for this material is in electrical wiring or anywhere you need a seal. It's one of a 3 step process. 1)Apply Temflex 2155 2)Apply a good grade Black Electrical Tape (3M/Scotch Super 88) 3)Brush on Liquid Tape. Using that combination on electrical connections it seals it up for a long time. I've used that process on some older extension cords used in the yard that had a little nick in the outer cover. Works great and was done years ago. Sorry for getting off topic!

However for what I am thinking about doing with the coil cover it will not be between the coil and the ground at all. I will need to cut the Temflex probably in half then stretch it out thin enough where it does not add to much thickness. Thinking about trying this on my new 6 inch coil. Will take less material. Just need to get bravery level up. Don't want to put too much pressure on the flimsy coil cover.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have most times used coil covers for all of my machines. They are on so tight, I don't mess with them. Now I do not go underwater, that probably makes a difference.

Anyway, do you NEED one? That's a real question. If it's causing a problem, can it be dispensed with. On my other brands, the answer is "yes". How do the bottom of the coil covers look? Real scratched up or not at all?

OP
OP
R

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have most times used coil covers for all of my machines. They are on so tight, I don't mess with them. Now I do not go underwater, that probably makes a difference.

Anyway, do you NEED one? That's a real question. If it's causing a problem, can it be dispensed with. On my other brands, the answer is "yes". How do the bottom of the coil covers look? Real scratched up or not at all?

I'd prefer to use a cover, although mine have not been used enough to get scratched up yet. I try not to scrub the ground with the coil as a general practice.
After looking at the coil cover to coil fit it is real obvious there are quite a few sharp edges where there is a void and it's not being sealed off. That is where the debris is coming from. I guess it's a trade off. If you are water hunting you want somewhere for excess water to run out I reckon(that is, if you have a leak to let water in to begin with it has to exit). Primarily I will be land hunting so water is not so much a concern to me. It does appear the coil covers minelab has made are not so precise fitting especially in the little spoked parts. Rounded edges where there should be a matching sharp edge to mate with the coil. I may try to snap a picture of what I'm talking about and post it. Would help to visualize.

OP
OP
R

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I tried to use Temflex to help seal the coil cover and it simply didn't pan out. So onto the next solution. A more permanent one. Black silicone around the edge of where coil meets coil cover.
I've also uploaded a couple of pictures showing the lack of sealing with my new 6" coil and the minelab coil cover.
cover1.jpg
As you can see, there is a gap and it is due to the coil cover not properly edged to match the coil itself.
cover2.jpg
Here again we see a large difference between the coil and coil cover. This is what allows in all the dirt, dried grass clippings, and other debris.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These covers are a very poor fit.
I never had a MD that I had to pull the cover and clean it after every use.
And if you don't clean it, you can have falsing problems.
Went to the beach dry sand hunting, after I was done put 800 in back seat of my Jeep, flipped it over so I could close the door and sand poured out of it all over my seat.
If you're dry sanding, beware it can make a mess of you car.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take them off, I've have been beach hunting for years and never had any coil issues (No covers on). I took the 800 cover off after seeing how much gets under it. After each hunt clean and inspect for wear.

If you see a lot of wear you can olways put a thin coat of marine epoxy in it.
Do not seal the coil cover to the coil, if you do not perfectly seal it (sand will get in) something will get in and you've got issues.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever try rope caulk? I use that to seal my storm window seams every year...press it on...peel it off.

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OK, off topic but this gets me everytime I see the word caulk and I start laughing all over again.

My brother was doing a bathroom make over. Everything out, new coat of paint, floor goes in as does the trim. Vanity, plumbing and mirror follow.

As he is doing the finishing caulking touches around the tub, he proclaims in a rather loud voice.

"Damn, I love caulk. {pregnant pause ensues}..... ing!!!! I love caulking!!!!

LMAO!!!! I told you it was off topic.

Carry on. :occasion14:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont like using a cover buy a can of plasti dip and paint it onto the bottom of your coil. It will put a hard rubber coating on it. Nothing will get through and it will still be protected. They sell it at Lowes and Homedepot.

OP
OP
R

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, off topic but this gets me everytime I see the word caulk and I start laughing all over again.

My brother was doing a bathroom make over. Everything out, new coat of paint, floor goes in as does the trim. Vanity, plumbing and mirror follow.

As he is doing the finishing caulking touches around the tub, he proclaims in a rather loud voice.

"Damn, I love caulk. {pregnant pause ensues}..... ing!!!! I love caulking!!!!

LMAO!!!! I told you it was off topic.

Carry on. :occasion14:

I think "cawk" is worse than caulk..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont like using a cover buy a can of plasti dip and paint it onto the bottom of your coil. It will put a hard rubber coating on it. Nothing will get through and it will still be protected. They sell it at Lowes and Homedepot.

Has anyone confirmed with ML that doing something like that won't void the coil warranty. Coil failures do happen (unrelated to adding the coatings discussed in this thread), though infrequently, and don't want to give the manufacturer an excuse not to honor the warranty. My personal opinion is that this coil cover thing is not such a big deal that folks should have to take extraordinary measures to seal the cover or the coil up or to have to empty it out that often. But that's just me. Haven't had a problem in almost a year of use on the beach and in the mud using the stock cover as is. Hose off the coil and cover as necessary or when I think about it, but I have never had a performance problem even if I have let the cleaning go for awhile.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone confirmed with ML that doing something like that won't void the coil warranty. Coil failures do happen (unrelated to adding the coatings discussed in this thread), though infrequently, and don't want to give the manufacturer an excuse not to honor the warranty. My personal opinion is that this coil cover thing is not such a big deal that folks should have to take extraordinary measures to seal the cover or the coil up or to have to empty it out that often. But that's just me. Haven't had a problem in almost a year of use on the beach and in the mud using the stock cover as is. Hose off the coil and cover as necessary or when I think about it, but I have never had a performance problem even if I have let the cleaning go for awhile.

No idea. I plasti dip the pin pointers and there fine with that. Not sure about the bottom of the coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers are not designed to keep out the sand, they are designed to protect the bottom of coil from damage. Coils are 2 parts top/side and the bottom, coil cover helps protect the bottom and more importantly the edge where the two halves meet. If the edge isn't protected you can end up with delamination and that can allow water inside the coil.

boxxxer

Feb 25, 2015
ohio
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT pro, 8.5x11 and 5x8 and nel storm coil
Deus ws4 with 11 inch coil, hf coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take mine off after every hunt and I have noticed it fits looser and allows more dirt and sand in. the other concern is you have to be careful not to crack it. guess its best, I think to buy a couple of extras. to be safe.

what does help is a coating of dielectric grease its water proof and seals out some of the debris. a little hard to wash off, but its expensive unless you buy it in large quantities

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread