Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Discussion on Equinox Coil Covers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX
    118 times
    Metal Detecting

Discussion on Equinox Coil Covers

Since I've been out a few times now with my Equinox what I notice is a lot of dried grass, dirt, and other gunk gets under the coil cover.
    I've had my coil cover off about 4 times now cleaning under it. What I've noticed is that the coil cover does not seem to fit that great. Has anyone else noticed this with their Equinox coil covers?
    I've made sure it snaps on properly at all points, but things still get under there. I've also noticed on my stock coil the epoxy doesn't seem to be all the way throughout underneath. Probably nothing but had to mention that too.

So far what I've been doing is after every 2 hunts with it, remove the cover and take a damp paper towel to clean the bottom of the coil, the sides, and the inside of the coil cover. I realize after time this is going to make it even weaker. So if anyone has an idea on how to better seal up that coil cover without hurting anything I would be interested to hear it.
    Hawks88, Inspector and Brendan75 like this.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    312 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Mine fits perfect.

I always take the coil cover off and clean it after every hunt.

No probs.

Matt.
    Hawks88 and Brendan75 like this.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    7495 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I just took mine off yesterday and cleaned it and didn’t find much of anything under it. Maybe a little bit of sand because I beach hunt a lot. I bought mine last March and this is my first cleaning. It may get worse after I take it a few more times though. Only time will tell.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3653 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    Since I've been out a few times now with my Equinox what I notice is a lot of dried grass, dirt, and other gunk gets under the coil cover.
    I've had my coil cover off about 4 times now cleaning under it. What I've noticed is that the coil cover does not seem to fit that great. Has anyone else noticed this with their Equinox coil covers?
    I've made sure it snaps on properly at all points, but things still get under there. I've also noticed on my stock coil the epoxy doesn't seem to be all the way throughout underneath. Probably nothing but had to mention that too.

So far what I've been doing is after every 2 hunts with it, remove the cover and take a damp paper towel to clean the bottom of the coil, the sides, and the inside of the coil cover. I realize after time this is going to make it even weaker. So if anyone has an idea on how to better seal up that coil cover without hurting anything I would be interested to hear it.
    I was just going to call up minelab and see how much a couple spares will cost.

us
    Metal Detecting & Hotwheels Collecting

Sep 2014
    FLR, Upstate NY
    Equinox 600, Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, Deteknix
    2699 times
    I now remove mine after each hunt and can't believe how much filters in because of the fit on the stock coil. I also make sure it is fully fitted but it has voids at the larger spokes of the coil. This coming week I will be taking photos of the voids and taking it up with Minelab.
    RobNC, Hawks88 and Brendan75 like this.
    Any day of hunting, whether good or bad is better than not hunting at all

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX
    118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Has anyone been brave enough to use a small bead of clear silicone sealant on the exterior of the coil where it meets the coil cover at all points? I can see where it would seal it off for good, but the negative on that is the question of whether or not since it would be sealed would moisture accumulate between the cover and coil (temperature changes, etc.).

Another idea I'm kicking around in my head (it's been kicked to death) is using some Temflex 2155 on the edges where coil meets coil cover. This would indeed add some sealing power but not be permanent and not damage the coil or cover. I've used this stuff for a lot of things.
    For anyone not familiar with it, it's a rubber splicing tape. It costs about $3.00 for a 22 ft roll. It has a plain rubber surface on one side and cloth cover on the other. You remove the cloth cover (it is not sticky) after cutting off the amount you want. In application, the two rubber ends will semi-bond when stretched. Not a tight bond but enough to hold it. Again, there is absolutely zero residue or adhesive in this product. The more you stretch it the thinner it gets, within reason.
    The primary use for this material is in electrical wiring or anywhere you need a seal. It's one of a 3 step process. 1)Apply Temflex 2155 2)Apply a good grade Black Electrical Tape (3M/Scotch Super 88) 3)Brush on Liquid Tape. Using that combination on electrical connections it seals it up for a long time. I've used that process on some older extension cords used in the yard that had a little nick in the outer cover. Works great and was done years ago. Sorry for getting off topic!

However for what I am thinking about doing with the coil cover it will not be between the coil and the ground at all. I will need to cut the Temflex probably in half then stretch it out thin enough where it does not add to much thickness. Thinking about trying this on my new 6 inch coil. Will take less material. Just need to get bravery level up. Don't want to put too much pressure on the flimsy coil cover.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Tejon
    19205 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I have most times used coil covers for all of my machines. They are on so tight, I don't mess with them. Now I do not go underwater, that probably makes a difference.

Anyway, do you NEED one? That's a real question. If it's causing a problem, can it be dispensed with. On my other brands, the answer is "yes". How do the bottom of the coil covers look? Real scratched up or not at all?
    Brendan75 and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX
    118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I have most times used coil covers for all of my machines. They are on so tight, I don't mess with them. Now I do not go underwater, that probably makes a difference.

Anyway, do you NEED one? That's a real question. If it's causing a problem, can it be dispensed with. On my other brands, the answer is "yes". How do the bottom of the coil covers look? Real scratched up or not at all?
    I'd prefer to use a cover, although mine have not been used enough to get scratched up yet. I try not to scrub the ground with the coil as a general practice.
    After looking at the coil cover to coil fit it is real obvious there are quite a few sharp edges where there is a void and it's not being sealed off. That is where the debris is coming from. I guess it's a trade off. If you are water hunting you want somewhere for excess water to run out I reckon(that is, if you have a leak to let water in to begin with it has to exit). Primarily I will be land hunting so water is not so much a concern to me. It does appear the coil covers minelab has made are not so precise fitting especially in the little spoked parts. Rounded edges where there should be a matching sharp edge to mate with the coil. I may try to snap a picture of what I'm talking about and post it. Would help to visualize.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX
    118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Alright, I tried to use Temflex to help seal the coil cover and it simply didn't pan out. So onto the next solution. A more permanent one. Black silicone around the edge of where coil meets coil cover.
    I've also uploaded a couple of pictures showing the lack of sealing with my new 6" coil and the minelab coil cover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	1679551
    As you can see, there is a gap and it is due to the coil cover not properly edged to match the coil itself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	1679552
    Here again we see a large difference between the coil and coil cover. This is what allows in all the dirt, dried grass clippings, and other debris.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    268 times
    These covers are a very poor fit.
    I never had a MD that I had to pull the cover and clean it after every use.
    And if you don't clean it, you can have falsing problems.
    Went to the beach dry sand hunting, after I was done put 800 in back seat of my Jeep, flipped it over so I could close the door and sand poured out of it all over my seat.
    If you're dry sanding, beware it can make a mess of you car.
    Hawks88 and FloridaSon like this.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

Charter Member
    us
    “Fortune favors the prepared mind.” ― Louis Pasteur

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora ds Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox
    77 times
    Agree, I have to clean the sand out every time.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    “Fortune favors the prepared mind.” ― Louis Pasteur

Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Currently use CTX, Excalibur Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
    291 times
    I take them off, I've have been beach hunting for years and never had any coil issues (No covers on). I took the 800 cover off after seeing how much gets under it. After each hunt clean and inspect for wear.

If you see a lot of wear you can olways put a thin coat of marine epoxy in it.
    Do not seal the coil cover to the coil, if you do not perfectly seal it (sand will get in) something will get in and you've got issues.
    Hawks88 and flyadive like this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    2371 times
    Metal Detecting
    Anyone ever try rope caulk? I use that to seal my storm window seams every year...press it on...peel it off.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

ca
    Dec 2015
    Bay of Quinte
    Minelab Equinox 800 Teknetics T2 Classic Teknetics Delta 4000 Garrett Carrot x 2
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre1190 View Post
    caulk
    OK, off topic but this gets me everytime I see the word caulk and I start laughing all over again.

My brother was doing a bathroom make over. Everything out, new coat of paint, floor goes in as does the trim. Vanity, plumbing and mirror follow.

As he is doing the finishing caulking touches around the tub, he proclaims in a rather loud voice.

"Damn, I love caulk. {pregnant pause ensues}..... ing!!!! I love caulking!!!!

LMAO!!!! I told you it was off topic.

Carry on.
    Hawks88, Rawhide, vferrari and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus. Past-Equinox, CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    368 times
    If you dont like using a cover buy a can of plasti dip and paint it onto the bottom of your coil. It will put a hard rubber coating on it. Nothing will get through and it will still be protected. They sell it at Lowes and Homedepot.
    Hawks88 and Larwar like this.
    iffy signals - youtube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links