ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a good time and area to metal detect near during and after a riptide.

Why not ?... the only place concerning a riptide I would highly recommend NOT detecting is...

The middle.

:P

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long shore current is even better. This is the current that makes the big cuts in the beach. When I surfed alot this current would sometimes drag me a half mile north in 30 minutes. It's like a small river running parallel to the beach between the breakers and the shore. Tremendous amounts of sand can be moved rapidly up or down the beach when there is a strong long shore current. 2-3 days of long shore currents can make for great hunting on the treasure coast and other beaches.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of info if you search "long shore current" usually a strong wind blowing at an angle that's different than the swell direction.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for the cuts at ebb tide and follow the tide out, that's when you know and one of the beach features you should pound relentlessly. If you start hitting heavy targets like quarters (heavy coins) and large sinkers, stay put, cover every square cm and you should be rewarded with gold if its there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions