Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy Folks!

I'm an experienced MDer with a Minelab Explorer & Etrac. Just purchased a Nox 600 and haven't used it yet, but maybe today. As part of my set up process, I discriminated out 2-11 and 14-19 to cut down on unwanted signals for school - park coin hunting. Now I got to thinking if that was a good idea or not for those nickles / Indians / Mercuries that occasionally fall into my notched discrimination. Anyone experimented with or use this notched pattern with any success or missed targets? Thanks.

Yeah I know, ideally we need to hear it all. But for me, after a couple of hours of listening to all that chatter in your ears it all starts to blend together and I loose attention.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say go to a park, and run the Park1 program without making any changes. 5 tone to start. 2-11 your missing gold. Good Luck!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis, it all depends on where your detecting as you already know having worked with the Explorer & E-Trac. I really do not discriminate any thing out, nickels normally come in at 12, but I have dug them from 11 to 13 as well. The 14 to 19?, as we know those ---- pulltabs can be all over the map at times, (shapes & sizes), but so will the gold rings, (size & thickness), most of the "bouncy" signals have come up as tabs, but now, if I should get any solid signal, I'll dig it. Just yesterday with a solid "16" two way signal I found a HUGH mans gold ring with a "smokey Topaz" stone, that was in Field 1, Field 1 & 2 is what I normally hunt in. The ring I would say was about 6" deep. I just happened to hit that one spot in a large playing field. I use the 50 tones, but then I was use to that from the Safari, otherwise, it's factory pre-set pretty much. Noise cancel, ground balance, normally set sensitivity at 22, (sometimes more, sometimes less) again as to where you are and amount of trash, and hope for the best.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the area is trashy and has produced old coins in the past I would bet the 600 plucks a couple more out.

The Equinox is the best cherry picking machine I have used to date. That's even with using notched out areas or modified tones.

You have to report back with your finds!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's a lot of notching, I understand about not wanting to dig trash etc but occasionally I get silvers that way down there. for me, too many good targets lost

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are into nickles, buffs, V's and some gold, keep 11,12,13,14 open. I've gotten hundreds up and down that scale including gold jewelry.

I run wide open primarily in Park 1, 50 tones, 0 IB, sens as high as I can get it as long as the Nox is quiet.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use 5 tone, no discriminate. All metal.
In tone volume, I mute T1 and turn the volume down some in T2 and T3 so I can still hear hits from those tones, but they're not as loud as the higher tones.
It helps separate the the tones for me and is easier on the ears and the head.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware most gold chains come in +1 to +10 and some gold rings as well.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mute T2, +1-+10.
Just turn to the volume down to a lower volume, I can still hear +1-+10, it's just not as loud as higher VDI numbers.
Seems to be easier on my head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread