Coil modification - light weight epoxy?

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching this YouTube video of a guy beach hunting with an Equinox. I don't know him or have anything to do with this mod, but I'm wondering what you all thought of it. I'm not very handy with such things and wouldn't want to be one of the first to try it.

It does seem to solve the coil cover issue.

Here's the video... start at about 40 seconds into the video.

In the comments here's what he said he did:

"Yer probably not going to like my answer but the filler I use isn’t off the shelf. I use a slow set epoxy with a dab of black pigment then mix in glass micro balloons until i have something about the consistency of peanut butter. I pack the stuff into a baggie, cut off a corner and squeeze it into the voids. Sand it down and final coat with black pigmented epoxy. In that I won’t be putting the cover back on, I also filed off the protruding extrusions that hold the cover on and eased all the sharp edges on the spokes and coil. It helps to keep the coil from catching in the sand and digging in. Hope this helps. Thanks for watching.."

What do you think of this mod?

Thanks,
-Joe

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally it think it is bad idea. If coil has issue and he sends it in to Minelab he has a chance he has void his warranty. In past Minelab would not honor warranty on modified coils that had coil covers glued on coils. Cleaning out coil covers is not hard at all.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Putting crap on your coil is just lazy - and voids the warranty. Only a newb would buy a used machine with a "modded" coil.:skullflag:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the above two responses. There is no "coil cover issue". All coils with covers need to be periodically cleaned and the underlying coil epoxy should be readily available for inspection by the detectorist to make a determination as to whether a coil manufacturing defect is becoming apparent (epoxy crack propagation, exposed coil wire) so it can be serviced by professionals, if necessary. After the warranty expires, I guess you can goop it up all you want, but I like to inspect my gear, clean it when necessary, preserve my warranty. It's all part of taking proper care of your equipment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting opinions... thanks. I'm not the handy person to do such a modification, but I do like the end results.

The coil cover is not really a problem, but it is a bit annoying. The more you remove it the looser it fits. I may just start using the NOX without the cover since mine doesn't fit so good anymore.

-Joe

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best way to do it with out voiding your warranty is to use some spray rubber to seal coil cover, then it can be easily peeled off later if it is needed to be sent in.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best way to do it with out voiding your warranty is to use some spray rubber to seal coil cover, then it can be easily peeled off later if it is needed to be sent it.

Agree, that's a safer approach.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
With the warranty I would just deal with keeping it cleaned out, until the three years is over...

Not the Nox but an excalibur

Wore the coil down to the danger zone..cleaned and prepared all, filled the coil cover about 1/2 way with 2 part epoxy, set coil into...it's messy but fixed the problem..been about 8 months now. Performance, I see no differences..the gold and silver count has not changed.
51708278_2234153203319253_3453169206520971264_n.jpg

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use coil covers and could care less about my coil warranties.

I do dislike the stupid honeycomb voids in these nox coils.

Latest experimental filler for my nox coils... black electrical potting epoxy. It looks to be exactly what is used to fill the coils from factory. It has very low mixed viscocity, sets rock hard, is waterproof, but takes 24 hours to cure (depending on thickness).

TDsFcyi.jpg

UGnJohk.jpg

*this particular stuff is meant for an epoxy gun dispenser, i just re-used a pusher from another epoxy

32NZcHR.jpg

$13 from amazon. Ran out due to experimenting prior. One would fill all the voids in 11“ coil, more on the way.

Will see how it fares, soon as the ground thaws.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get micro balloons through most hobby stores or find it on-line. Really is is probably just as easy to buy a new coil cover.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to admit it or say it because I TOO had the thoughts of filling voids, sealing things up, etc. BUT it is not a good idea to alter the coil. At least from a warranty perspective. I'm having to send my 6 inch coil back due to factory defects. Had I sealed the coil cover on like I originally wanted to do they would not be taking care of this under warranty more than likely.

So do what you like but I can now see the value in leaving the coils alone at least until your warranty runs out. $179.00 is a nice chunk of change to spend on a new coil vs. it being under warranty unaltered and Minelab take care of replacement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread