Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To keep it simple for the new user, I recommend sticking with Park 1 at the defaults if you are just coin shooting and you will also be able to hit the full spectrum of targets like gold jewelery save for very small targets. Overall, Park 1 is optimized for silver and high conductive targets and Park 2 is optimized for small mid-conductive targets like jewelry. The modes are not exclusive, however, optimized just means you have a greater likelihood of finding such targets at depth or in difficult conditions, but either will find a full spectrum of targets from iron to silver and everything in between at typical depths and conditions. All things being equal, I think Park 1 is deeper overall because it is weighted to lower frequencies which penetrate farther into the ground and are optimized for high conductors. If you are focusing on jewelry (e.g., gold rings) but want to pull the occasional silver (but perhaps not quite as deep as Park 1), go for Park 2. Even though Park 1 is deeper overall, Park 2 will tend to give a stronger signal on mid-conductive targets like gold jewelry than Park 1 and will enable separating targets from nearby trash better because of the frequency weighting but also because Park 2 has a slightly higher default recovery speed (which you can adjust as desired). For those of you using a Nox 600, however, the default recovery speed setting is the same for Park 1 and Park 2 because the 600 has less adjustability than the 800 for that parameter.

Note that both modes also use different tone setups - (Park 1 is 5 tones, Park 2 is 50 tones) so you might want to set them up the same way for whichever tone setup you are most comfortable with (for a new Equinox user, I suggest 5 tones and getting experience to ultimately work up to 50 tones unless you are coming from a detector that uses many tones like a Deus or Nokta).

Finally, note that Park 1 uses a high default Iron Bias setting, which can quiet the machine from iron falsing (high tones that can occur off the ends of small iron nails or with large, flat iron) but has the drawback of perhaps masking keeper targets that are near such iron targets. Park 2 does not use Iron Bias.

HTH

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I run them both. I may hunt an area with one and get it pretty well and then go back over it with the other to see what I may have missed. I do like the 50 tones but that is me

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hitting lots of zinc in Park 1, a few quarters, multiple dimes, 1 nickel, and a ring. Hunting through snow so I'm hunting 4"-10" off the ground surface. My finds are limited now. I had some high VDI numbers, Upper 30's but showing deep, 10". I haven't dug them due to ground conditions. Due to depth, and showing up when I'm already elevated off ground surface I suspect they are junk targets.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well look at that; I learned something today!!!! Thanks ;-)

Just to be clear, I should have said, the Park 2 default setting is IB = 0 (i.e., Off), but it is user adjustable.

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear, I should have said, the Park 2 default setting is IB = 0 (i.e., Off), but it is user adjustable.

Do you adjust the Nox for your personal preference when hunting iron sites? Park 2 Iron bias 2 or 3? I've seen guys adjust the bias and looks like they have good results.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you adjust the Nox for your personal preference when hunting iron sites? Park 2 Iron bias 2 or 3? I've seen guys adjust the bias and looks like they have good results.

I personally do not use iron bias at all. I let the iron false and use the all metal horseshoe button (which removes all iron discrimination) to clue me in on the nature of the false signal. If you pull the coil off the falsing target you will usually get a telltale iron grunt (if in all metal) to accompany the false which is a dead giveaway.

Why not just use iron bias? First of all, I haven't found iron bias to be all that effective at preventing falsing. Second, I have also found that iron bias can mask keeper targets adjacent to iron. The telltale for that is that the keeper target signal next to iron will be "out of sync" with the iron grunt. It is hard to describe in writing, not foolproof, and frankly something you can really only learn through extensive swing hours and trial and error recovery of targets, even those you may strongly suspect as junk, but the only way to truly learn the language of the machine.

Bottom line, I usually set iron bias to 0 for any mode I am using because I want to be able to hear a potential keeper not have the machine filter it out just to alleviate nuisance falsing which I can otherwise deal with.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run park 1 and find silver. Like V said though I adjust IB to 0.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread