Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I’m hunting a old site with grass but a lot of sand fill underneath 8” would beach mode be better? I’m gonna test it. Oh it’s a 1850’s abandoned boys high school so I will be looking for gold class rings. What about gold mode? I’m just curious about you guys opinions right now because I can’t sleep.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one of those high class Equinox machines like you rich kids :-) but what I'd do is run in All Metal mode with your sensitivity turned up as high as you can run it without excessive chatter. And don't forget to ground balance it as clean (salt free) sand usually has low mineralization.

The way I see it, the less thinking my machine has to do the less likely it is to silence something I want to dig, especially gold jewelry.

(I too am having trouble sleeping)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have one of those high class Equinox machines like you rich kids :-) but what I'd do is run in All Metal mode with your sensitivity turned up as high as you can run it without excessive chatter. And don't forget to ground balance it as clean (salt free) sand usually has low mineralization.

The way I see it, the less thinking my machine has to do the less likely it is to silence something I want to dig, especially gold jewelry.

(I too am having trouble sleeping)

Good advice I’ll let you know I’m going after the rain stops. Insomnia sucks sometimes Ugggh

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't run beach mode. If you are looking primarily for coins or deep targets, run Park 1, for relics then Park 2 or Field 2. Run sensitivity as high as you can without chatter. Do a noise cancel and GB at the beginning and swing away. On dry sand at beaches, I go with the deepest stable mode I can get away with, not necessarily Beach 1. That might mean going with gold mode if I am trying to target micro gold jewelry and can get it to run stable.

Beach modes are set up to run stable in salt beach conditions. Because of this, certain compromises are made such as the inability to run single frequency if desired and in the case of Beach 2, transmit power can be automatically throttled back if mineralization is detected. Most folks do not run beach mode at freshwater beaches for this reason. Beach modes should be used only if you are forced to go there to keep the machine stable in moderate to high salinity conditions. Beach 1 is less "compromised" than Beach 2, but why run eitger if you can get away with running more capable modes in a stanle manner.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have run both Gold 1&2 here in my mineralized SE. dirt...
I like it, running with a nice threshold tone that seems informative, like all metal on my F70.
Depth, not sure because most targets don't sink real far here but I think I can get down there if needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread