Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Frustration with my Nox!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6557 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If you have lots of black sand, that can cause all sorts of false signals, and the genuine ones you do get can read all over the scale........usually a lot higher VDI. In my local black sand, deep copper cents can read 39/40, just like deep rusty iron targets. The difference is the iron reading is usually just one direction. I usually hunt these sites in all metal (push the horseshoe) and find deep iron will give a good repeatable sound, but, sweeping the coil one way it will read 39/40, and back the other way it will read a minus number. A good target usually won't do that unless it's mixed in with another target close by. Deep target signals many times will disappear once you remove the overburden. Just dig a bit deeper to get to the target. A good pin pointer will sometimes help in these cases.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    If you have lots of black sand, that can cause all sorts of false signals, and the genuine ones you do get can read all over the scale........usually a lot higher VDI. In my local black sand, deep copper cents can read 39/40, just like deep rusty iron targets. The difference is the iron reading is usually just one direction. I usually hunt these sites in all metal (push the horseshoe) and find deep iron will give a good repeatable sound, but, sweeping the coil one way it will read 39/40, and back the other way it will read a minus number. A good target usually won't do that unless it's mixed in with another target close by. Deep target signals many times will disappear once you remove the overburden. Just dig a bit deeper to get to the target. A good pin pointer will sometimes help in these cases.
    Agreed, but all the typical "black sand" remedies (namely, use of Beach 2, tracking ground balance, and reduced sensitivity), did not seem to help in sandmartin's case.
    sandmartin and A2coins like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6557 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Agreed, but all the typical "black sand" remedies (namely, use of Beach 2, tracking ground balance, and reduced sensitivity), did not seem to help in sandmartin's case.
    I should have been more specific and explained my response better. In some cases, (like some EMI) there are no remedies that will totally fix the problem on the current version of the Equinox. My local beaches lately are thick with black sand. My machine squawks something awful in it. It took a while to figure out the good signals from the bad. In his experience with black sand, it may be that what he thinks is a good signal/target, is actually a false signal caused by the heavy black sand. Sometimes the difference in false vs. genuine signals in black sand is very subtle. Since the I.D. numbers can be all over the place and unreliable, you need to do other things to help determine if the signal is worth digging or not. Much of that just takes hours of experience swinging the coil in those conditions and listening carefully to the audio. I find it's also helpful to just scrape off a couple of inches of sand sometimes with iffy signals. Usually with good targets, the sound will improve, whereas false signal will not.....and will sometimes go away all together. Deep rusty iron will usually stay the same, but will sometimes change position when you re-pinpoint. Deep targets will often completely disappear after taking a scoop or two. Don't just give up on those targets. If they were repeatable before you dug, there's probably something down deep. Take a few more scoops before you conclude it was a false signal.

gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 600/Deteknix Xpointer pro pointer.
    175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    So I have an update guys. I have just got back from a beach hunt. I met another guy with a Nox. He showed me a gold ring and several coins he'd found today. I told him about my issues so he set my machine exactly the same as his, same everything. I started hunting and it was falsing straight away and the numbers were all over the place. He was running on 22 sensitivity with no problems. I had to turn mine down to 14 and even then it was still chattering. I have never been able to use it as high as 20 even on grass. It's unusable on wet sand, no wonder i'm not finding anything. Anyone else heard of this? I am really disappointed but I have to get this dealt with. I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and keep you all up to date.
    Last edited by sandmartin; Feb 24, 2019 at 08:56 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6100 times
    Yep, sounds like a machine problem, were you both using the same coil? Same firmware?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6100 times
    Yep, sounds like a machine problem, were you both using the same coil? Same firmware? Have you done a factory reset.
    A2coins likes this.

gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Yep, sounds like a machine problem, were you both using the same coil? Same firmware?
    Yes both the stock coils. I didn't ask him if he had the update though. I am on pre update now. I did a factory reset yesterday.
    Last edited by sandmartin; Feb 24, 2019 at 08:50 AM.
    vferrari and A2coins like this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    Love to treasure hunt
    2033 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    All beaches are different. Some saltwater beaches, i cannot penetrate more than 2 inches. Others, I can get donw a foot!

Also, the target ID numbers will get thrown out of whack in salty areas. A target. That usually rings up 24 might shoot up to 34.

Anyways, you have lots of good advice here, good luck!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    6100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmartin View Post
    Yes both the stock coils. I didn't ask him if he had the update though. I am on pre update now. I did a factory reset yesterday.
    Sounds like you have done everything possible save for trying a new Equinox. Keep us apprised and hope you work it out.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    6557 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmartin View Post
    So I have an update guys. I have just got back from a beach hunt. I met another guy with a Nox. He showed me a gold ring and several coins he'd found today. I told him about my issues so he set my machine exactly the same as his, same everything. I started hunting and it was falsing straight away and the numbers were all over the place. He was running on 22 sensitivity with no problems. I had to turn mine down to 14 and even then it was still chattering. I have never been able to use it as high as 20 even on grass. It's unusable on wet sand, no wonder i'm not finding anything. Anyone else heard of this? I am really disappointed but I have to get this dealt with. I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and keep you all up to date.
    Sounds like you have a defective machine.

gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    175 times
    So I rang my dealer, he said it sounds faulty, I've sent the whole thing back, sounds like he will replace it, hopefully.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19569 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I think you made the right move sandmartin.

us
    Jul 2014
    New Richmond WI
    A T Pro. Equinox 600
    58 times
    I too just got back from Florida and the same thing happened to me, sometimes it goes through the scoop but what I found even when it did I find after a lot of wasted time it was very small rivets can slaw or just small pieces of junk, also what I found was when it was junk my 600 does not pin point very well.i understand your frustration this is what I found and sounds like you as well .. also when you are digging and not exactly in the right spot your target can get deeper.
    A2coins likes this.

gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I think you made the right move sandmartin.
    I think so for sure buddy, on the beach especially it was unusable.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    54 times
    My 800 was same way. One more scoop and you get the target and noisier than I could tolerate. Sold it and will wait for things to work themselves out in the design. I went back and forth with Minelab but how would they see the issue on their end? Glad you did that comparison test with the other guy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links