South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My go to mode for relic hunting is Field2 - 5 tone and in the beach Beach1 - 5 tone.

I’ve been experimenting with my Field1 mode for relic hunting in open woods and fields (non cellar hole high iron locations). I’ve had some luck and like how it hits the high tone targets a little harder than Field2, IMO. I recently started trying 50 tones in Field1. Had some flashbacks to my first weeks with the Nox and the cacophony of sounds...

How many experienced Nox users are using 50 tones? Is it worth the pain...

Thx

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 50 tones almost all of the time. I find it gives subtle info that helps me decide good targets from bad in turf hunts. At the beach, I just scoop everything non-ferrous. I still use 50 tones there too however. I just got used to it and didn't see a need to change.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't do it. Sensory overload. I have notice that 50 tones I can tell a bottle cap from a quarter but to walk around and hunt for hours the 5 tones are easier on my ears. Maybe in an open field I could get by with 50 tones but the park it's just to much noise going on for me.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
I use 5 tones only. 50 tones may be better but it drives me crazy.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like 50 tones when I’m on normal dirt. The tones breaks aren’t noticeable when in 50 tones, but 5 has be double swinging in stuff because it might blip to 21 from 19

5 tones when im at the beach, because the id numbers don’t matter as much there...

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I like 5 tones but to me i think any thing over 3 tones is to many i think the makers of detectors are out of control with what they put in detectors.....Just to make more money and to get geeks to buy those overloaded detectors that do not help ones to find any more than they would find with a 3 or 5 tone.......

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like 5 tones but to me i think any thing over 3 tones is to many i think the makers of detectors are out of control with what they put in detectors.....Just to make more money and to get geeks to buy those overloaded detectors that do not help ones to find any more than they would find with a 3 or 5 tone.......

I respectfully disagree that the manufacturers are "out of control". I personally think it is nice to have choices to allow for individual customizations because detectorists all have different ways of processing the information from their detector. Besides, it really doesn't drive cost or complexity as no additional circuits are needed with today's software driven detector technology.

I think people should go with whatever their brain can handle. 2, 3 or 5 tones is great and will get the job done depending on the individual and the situation. Heck, Equinox just uses a single varable pitch tone for Gold mode which is something I wish was offered on all the modes.

With 50 tones, I find I can keep my head up, assess my ground coverage path, and concentrate on the audio without having to constantly glance at the display. For example, 50 tones tells me instantly when the TID is unstable because it isn't masked by a wide tone break bin. Something I can easily miss in 5 or 3 tones unless I am locked in on the display.

Yes, I am likely never going to dig everything by audio alone, but I have heard decent audio tones in 50 tones that do not result in a numerical TID displayed. 50 tones also gives me more insight into the nature of say a 13-14 signal than just the TID (although 5 tones can give you similar audio clues as well, though perhaps less pronounced). That 13-14 could be a bent pull tab, nickel, or gold ring and the sound quality/duration (not just the tone pitch) can provide those clues much better than a numerical display and 50 tones perhaps better audio clues than 3 or even 5 tones.

But I can see where 50 tones is not everyone's cup of tea, so I am glad ML gave us plenty of options to customize to suit the preferences of the individual detectorist.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in 3 to 5 tones i can hear the different tones in 50 tones they all sound the same or so close it is just a mess of tones that is hard to tell apart.But to each his own i am very happy with 5 tones.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 50 tones I’m not even paying attention to what I’m doing...it’s like white noise for me and I feel like the walking dead! :sleepy2: 3 or 5 tones work for me, and it wakes you up when a high tone even chirps at you. JMHO. YMMV

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well when you are my age you could like only 3 or 5 tones and if you can hear them you will be lucky..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well in 3 to 5 tones i can hear the different tones in 50 tones they all sound the same or so close it is just a mess of tones that is hard to tell apart.But to each his own i am very happy with 5 tones.

Well when you are my age you could like only 3 or 5 tones and if you can hear them you will be lucky..

So just to be clear, are you saying you don't prefer 50 tones?

(Just ribbing you, Keppy, ‘cause I’m jealous you won last month’s drawing).

I think us 50 tone folks are probably in the minority because it does drive most folks nuts.

I’m also not adverse to using 2 tones (or 3 or 5) in some situations.

(I like to usually run all metal, too, so go figure)

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I just can’t handle 50 tones. 3 or 5 tones are good enough for me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on how i feel. But mostly I use 50. also very fond of all metal modes in the heavy iron. Guess I just like to be abused by sounds

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am good with 5 tones for now, but when I grow up I wanna use 50. Seriously, I guess some of it depends on the type of area that I'm hunting. In the trashy park 50 tones is gonna be too much for me, right now anyway. I'm still learning the machine.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just to be clear, are you saying you don't prefer 50 tones?

(Just ribbing you, Keppy, ‘cause I’m jealous you won last month’s drawing).

I think us 50 tone folks are probably in the minority because it does drive most folks nuts.

I’m also not adverse to using 2 tones (or 3 or 5) in some situations.

(I like to usually run all metal, too, so go figure)

I believe there's something to the 50 tones, based on what I've seen from very knowledgeable users. If you can get used to it and you have the ability to process the information, it's probably better. I'm still not there yet. I have a program, in 5 tones (really 3) that works best for me. I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I start out in 50 tones, because I know that would be best, but I usually switch to my coin shooting program. I think if I had time, I could get used to the 50 tones.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I used the 800 I personally liked the 5 tone over the 50 tone, not saying the 50 tone is bad, it's just after a little while it gets to sounding like I'm trying to learn how to play the bagpipes with the cacophony of sounds, no to mention a headache and with a head as big as mine, it's pretty painful, LOL... JMO, "Possum"

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Keppy, you know that you can create a 3 tone program exactly the way that want with the 800. I have hearing aids so 50 Tones doesn't work for me and I have tried it on the Deus for a long time and now have trouble trying to get used to multi tones. I'm like the pickle in the middle. lol The only thing that I can say to y'all is use what works for you but if you're a newbie you just have to experiment to see what works for ya.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, you know that you can create a 3 tone program exactly the way that want with the 800. I have hearing aids so 50 Tones doesn't work for me and I have tried it on the Deus for a long time and now have trouble trying to get used to multi tones. I'm like the pickle in the middle. lol The only thing that I can say to y'all is use what works for you but if you're a newbie you just have to experiment to see what works for ya.
I know but i do not like 50 tones and that is me and how i feel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread