Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a park with two baseball diamonds and picnic pavilion to swing baby Noxxy on the 600. I was able to dig about 25-35% of the grass area that was in the sun, but the rest of it was like digging in ice cream from a deep freeze!:BangHead: Of course, there were a bunch of high tones at 6”+ that will be there for the Spring digs.

Ended up with 31 coins, and a total dug target count of about 75. Lots of aluminum bottle caps that ring up between dimes and quarters. Grrrr....:BangHead: No pain...No gain!:headbang:

Based on a recommendation from a video I watched, I set my sensitivity to 16 and recovery speed at 2. I also slowed down my swing speed to 1-2 seconds per swing. Swing speed is very important with this coil...at least it was for me. I need pay closer attention to which targets are affected on the next outing with Noxxy.

Periodically when I had a good signal at about 6” deep, I would boost the sensitivity to 20-22, and noticed the signal getting a little scratchy. On the same signal I changed the recovery speed to 3, and the signal became intermittent. This replicated itself about 75% of the time, and other times it made very little difference.

I spent 4-1/2 hours until I couldn’t take the cold any longer. There are a lot more targets to be dug there. Today I just focused on high tones 19 and above. The weather calls for even colder temps for the next five days, so I’m not sure when I’ll be getting out to play with Noxxy some more.

Thanks for looking!

EC421ACF-60EA-49A8-A42F-C6D42813D76A.jpeg

35387D02-7F56-4B01-BC8F-B301F447F0FA.jpeg

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice report, and good job on your first outing with the 6" coil!

Steve

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt those smaller coils are great for trashy areas. Glad you got out sorry the vacations over I havent had one in ten years 2 girls is all I need to say!!!!LOL

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why the signal got scratchy at high sensitivity unless there was a lot of nearby iron or trash targets. Lowering recovery speed makes sense. Good outing.

OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why the signal got scratchy at high sensitivity unless there was a lot of nearby iron or trash targets. Lowering recovery speed makes sense. Good outing.

I can’t figure it out either, primarily because I wasn’t keeping track of which targets this was happening with. :dontknow: I would need to write it all down, otherwise it all gets jumbled up after awhile...Old Timers Disease!

Maybe I can talk my wife into taking notes then making a spreadsheet of the results for me while I experiment and dig targets. Yeah...I’ll let you know how that one works out.:laughing7:

Seriously, I should do some data capture to refer back to and to share here. I’ll see about starting to capture the data on my next outing. Right now each successive day is getting colder for the next 5-6 days, so my diggable soil will me minimal. Maybe I can actually clean my basement while,the weather is crappy. I’ll think about that over a fresh cup of coffee and some digging YouTube videos!:hello2:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Informative write up, I have taken a mini cassette recorder with me and made some notes and then put on my computer later, does help.

Congratulations on the saves & HH

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul, congrats!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions