A thorn in my side
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree17Likes
  • 8 Post By Amergin
  • 5 Post By WaterWalker
  • 2 Post By Amergin
  • 1 Post By Possum
  • 1 Post By DigDug216

Thread: A thorn in my side

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2013
    547 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A thorn in my side

Had a strange experience last week, was in the woods swinging away going over a spot with 11" coil, I has started the day before, it was a clear area but some wild rose and blackberry briars, suddenly I was getting ground noise, and could not ground balance it would descend from 80 to 0 and stay at 0, and continue with heavy ground buzz any time coil was near surface,

I could not figure it out, the day before at same spot it was settling at 19, I noise canceled , restated machine, The problem continued, I did factory reset, the problem continued.

I thought that it may be moisture and dirt from snow inside coil cover, which can cause similar issues, so I opened and found water, cleaned it, let it dry and the problem continued.

I could not use the machine, so I changed to my 6" coil and it was fine. so then i knew it was the 11" coil ,

I proceed to clean the entire top of coil and noticed just above where cable joins the ring a little spur sticking out, I thought it was part of the housing, but was I rubbed it with the cloth it come out , Lw and behold it was a thorn from the wild rose and blackberry briars, I sealed up hole with aqua seal I use for my waders and the coil worked fine again,

so moving forward I put foam insulation tubing over cable when in the thorny woods
    lairmo, RustyGold, Possum and 5 others like this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    543 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Try a split wiring cover such as Dorman Conduct it comes in various colors and sizes; available at auto parts stores.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86661-007.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1687552  
    A2coins, RustyGold, Possum and 2 others like this.

Sep 2013
    547 times
    thanks
    devldog and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    “Never argue with a fool. Onlooker may not be able to tell the difference.” Mark Twain

Nov 2017
    Southeast Louisiana
    Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
    2231 times
    Relic Hunting
    Good info, thanks Amerigin... oh, not sure if it'll work but have you thought about using some large shrink wrap? "D"
    A2coins likes this.

"Blessed is the Nation, who's God is the Lord!!!" Psalms 33:12

"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to wrest from the South its dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them." General Robert E. Lee

"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." General Stonewall Jackson

Founder / CEO "Indian Creek Historical Society"

us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    93 times
    You want to make sure the cord is wrapped good around the shaft. If there is a lot of slack going up the shaft, the cord can move and the coil could possibly sound off on that movement. I know that was happening to me when i first got into this sport and had an Ace 250. I then moved to the wireless XP Deus but i just recently purchased a Equinox 800 and made sure the cord was secure. Hope you figure out the issue soon sir - good luck.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32053 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    God you fixed it being under warranty you might want to see if you could get a new coil.Even though you fixed it that seem kinda strange.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sponsored Links