A thorn in my side

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a strange experience last week, was in the woods swinging away going over a spot with 11" coil, I has started the day before, it was a clear area but some wild rose and blackberry briars, suddenly I was getting ground noise, and could not ground balance it would descend from 80 to 0 and stay at 0, and continue with heavy ground buzz any time coil was near surface,

I could not figure it out, the day before at same spot it was settling at 19, I noise canceled , restated machine, The problem continued, I did factory reset, the problem continued.

I thought that it may be moisture and dirt from snow inside coil cover, which can cause similar issues, so I opened and found water, cleaned it, let it dry and the problem continued.

I could not use the machine, so I changed to my 6" coil and it was fine. so then i knew it was the 11" coil ,

I proceed to clean the entire top of coil and noticed just above where cable joins the ring a little spur sticking out, I thought it was part of the housing, but was I rubbed it with the cloth it come out , Lw and behold it was a thorn from the wild rose and blackberry briars, I sealed up hole with aqua seal I use for my waders and the coil worked fine again,

so moving forward I put foam insulation tubing over cable when in the thorny woods

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try a split wiring cover such as Dorman Conduct it comes in various colors and sizes; available at auto parts stores.

Attachments

• 86661-007.jpg
    86661-007.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 71

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good info, thanks Amerigin... oh, not sure if it'll work but have you thought about using some large shrink wrap? "D"

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to make sure the cord is wrapped good around the shaft. If there is a lot of slack going up the shaft, the cord can move and the coil could possibly sound off on that movement. I know that was happening to me when i first got into this sport and had an Ace 250. I then moved to the wireless XP Deus but i just recently purchased a Equinox 800 and made sure the cord was secure. Hope you figure out the issue soon sir - good luck.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God you fixed it being under warranty you might want to see if you could get a new coil.Even though you fixed it that seem kinda strange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread