Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sound like pretty good settings. Keep the iron bias low to keep from missing iron-masked non-ferrous targets and crank reactivity up to 3 if the iron is really thick.

Another thing you can try is lowering sensitivity in thick iron. A little counterintuitive, as you will lose depth, but it can help keep iron from overwhelming the coil, and some shallower keepers might pop out of the muck. Use that horseshoe (all metal) button to occasionslly hear the iron and to help better ID falsing iron. If you have the 6" coil, that is great for tight spots, too. HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always a constant null at the sites I hunt. I'll drop the iron bias to 0 and turn the speed up to 3. Still 4' of snow here so no cellar holes for a couple months yet.

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wondering why the lower (3,4) end of recovery speed in thick iron?

I always run 4-6 but now i fear i have been too extreme in trying separate out good from iron , all advice welcome

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always run 4-6 but now i fear i have been too extreme in trying separate out good from iron , all advice welcome

You might be confused by the fact the OP is using a 600, which only has recovery speed settings 1, 2, and 3 (max) vice 1 to 8 for the 800.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovery speed of 3 on the 600 is equal to 6 on the 800

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sound like pretty good settings. Keep the iron bias low to keep from missing iron-masked non-ferrous targets and crank reactivity up to 3 if the iron is really thick.

Another thing you can try is lowering sensitivity in thick iron. A little counterintuitive, as you will lose depth, but it can help keep iron from overwhelming the coil, and some shallower keepers might pop out of the muck. Use that horseshoe (all metal) button to occasionslly hear the iron and to help better ID falsing iron. If you have the 6" coil, that is great for tight spots, too. HTH.

Perfect! Thank you. I ran the etrac sensitivity at 18 on these sites, so I'll keep the Nox sensitivity between 18 and 20

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh one more question: what frequency? 5, 10, 15 or multi?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh one more question: what frequency? 5, 10, 15 or multi?

Multi. If you go single frequency then you obviate the advantage of multi IQ which is what gives each mode its unique "personality". Multi IQ helps with ground compensation and target signal processing. Iron Bias is disabled in single, too. If you do want to go single, then the frequency choice is based on your target of interest. Also, in the case of the 600, in single frequency, you lose access to the 20 and 40 khz frequency components that you have in Multi that are key to exciting mid-conductive targets like brass, lead, (relics), small jewelry/targets and gold. So if that is your focus, 15 khz is the best alternative you have on the 600 for mid conductors. If you are going after silver or deeper/larger targets 5 khz. 10 khz if you want to split the difference. Note the lower frequencies will be more susceptible to EMI.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have to ask.

What do you mean by "cellar hole"?

It is what is left behind in the woods when an old dwelling is razed, demolished, or decays away.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi. If you go single frequency then you obviate the advantage of multi IQ which is what gives each mode its unique "personality". Multi IQ helps with ground compensation and target signal processing. Iron Bias is disabled in single, too. If you do want to go single, then the frequency choice is based on your target of interest. Also, in the case of the 600, in single frequency, you lose access to the 20 and 40 khz frequency components that you have in Multi that are key to exciting mid-conductive targets like brass, lead, (relics), small jewelry/targets and gold. So if that is your focus, 15 khz is the best alternative you have on the 600 for mid conductors. If you are going after silver or deeper/larger targets 5 khz. 10 khz if you want to split the difference. Note the lower frequencies will be more susceptible to EMI.

That is the best explanation of multi frequency/modes/iron bias that I have seen so far! Thank you! thank you thank you!

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
would 5 khz be what you would want if you were looking for cannon balls?

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would 5 khz be what you would want if you were looking for cannon balls?

From what I understand, yes. Personally, I'm after old coppers, Spanish silver, colonial gold, Rev War relics etc. My sites don't produce cannonballs because they are homesites, but anything is possible!

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the response. My last rev. cannon ball VDI "19" thought it was a round ball, until it went pass 12". 18" 4 lb. solid round ball 6" from a KGII! You just never know!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Field2, recovery 2, 5 tone, multi, auto gb, volume 25, noise cancel. Hit the cellar hole area in 19-20 sensitivity first, then lower sensitivity to 15 and slow way down and shorten your swing into the heavy iron areas.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a bunch on cellas with the Nox last season. Settings look good. Work the sensitivity based on your iron. If your getting allot of falsing (200 year old iron nails love to fool the Nox) back it off to 15-18. Try and leave iron bias low if you can. Most often than not you do not need to be deep at a cella but you need to separate like a beast :). HH and good luck.

OP
OP
RelicMedic

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took it on its maiden voyage this morning to a shoreline that has produced some decent finds. I ran it as mentioned above and I can say this: if there is a button hidden anywhere at my cellar hole sites, the Nox is going to find them! Man it hits hard on mid and low conductors!!! Even the smallest piece is no match for it. It sniffed out a button shank, without the button! I got the coil over a few high conductors as well (brass gas fitting handle) and it was loud and clear. We tried a nail test, using 4 big square nails and a copper. His CTX only hit it one way, and was so scratchy when it did hit, that he said he wouldn't have dug it. The Nox nailed it in all directions. We replaced the copper with a thin, beach abused Canadian silver 5 cents (size of a US half dime) and positioned it in the middle of the nails. Neither detector hit it, no matter what settings we tried. I moved the nails out, about 2-3" from the coin, and the Nox saw it in both directions. The CTX didn't. The proof is in the pudding! I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can try it at my pounded sites. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread