Deep Silver and Copper colonials?

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is the best program to reach deep cobs and copper colonials? I am finding them, but not deep. The fields are not plowed up anymore, all no-til. Trying to reach down below where the disk gets, to 17th and 18th century finds. I know its a question that is asked often but was wounding what you guys thought. The owner tells me that the area has not been detected but all I find are small coins and buttons, not much in the way of big high conductor stuff and it is a site of at least 195 slaves and much activity. I keep thinking maybe someone has gone through and grabbed large coins and buttons in night time hunts, without permission in the past. Maybe, maybe not? I run my 800 in field 2 mostly and use 5 tones, iron 1, recovery 4-6, sens. as hight as I can with out a lot of chatter. Always ground balance. Not much emi problems. My explorer se I run noise cancellation at 1, if I can, and that seems to get better depth on small targets. Has anyone heard of this for the equinox or does the QT cancel that factor? Thanks!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you me? But seriously, I have seen this a lot. This one spot I go to did produce some small coins (1700's site), but the big stuff was gone. We know it had been hit before. There are small bits of lead and button pieces still there, but it's almost not worth going to.

I had another site which by sheer intuition I figured there would have been a house on a little rise next to a road. I was correct. I walked right smack dab into the middle of the house and got 4 colonial coppers, some at 10", three really nice Eagle I buttons with most of the gold on them, some other buttons, a colonial brass spur that was broken, and have now spent HOURS there with no silvers whatsoever. The coppers and buttons blew my ears off.

At the first site, someone else got there before us and they were just plain gone. On the second site, the people just didn't lose any silver coins. The Equinox and Explorers are good mid range machines, it's not the machine, it's the site.

Now, that being said, the only thing you can do is purchase a pulse induction machine, pull your hair out at all the iron it finds and dig deep. I just bought another PI machine and it drove me nuts today. Only found a couple things in 5 hours with 3 different machines. Machine set up on a VLF machine won't help much, maybe an inch more. The PI's will go halfway to China, but it can be soooo tiring!

OP
OP
S

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Smokey, its good to hear someone else's opinion on the situation. Its not that I don't find lots of artifacts, but sometimes on property that you know the owners were very high ranking people with tons of money and lavished guest, it just seems there would be more artifacts. Hard for me to spend that much money on a PI machine that I need a backhoe to dig holes LOL! Thanks, and I do enjoy your post in the Todays Finds Forum. Rick

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you me? But seriously, I have seen this a lot. This one spot I go to did produce some small coins (1700's site), but the big stuff was gone. We know it had been hit before. There are small bits of lead and button pieces still there, but it's almost not worth going to.

I had another site which by sheer intuition I figured there would have been a house on a little rise next to a road. I was correct. I walked right smack dab into the middle of the house and got 4 colonial coppers, some at 10", three really nice Eagle I buttons with most of the gold on them, some other buttons, a colonial brass spur that was broken, and have now spent HOURS there with no silvers whatsoever. The coppers and buttons blew my ears off.

At the first site, someone else got there before us and they were just plain gone. On the second site, the people just didn't lose any silver coins. The Equinox and Explorers are good mid range machines, it's not the machine, it's the site.

Now, that being said, the only thing you can do is purchase a pulse induction machine, pull your hair out at all the iron it finds and dig deep. I just bought another PI machine and it drove me nuts today. Only found a couple things in 5 hours with 3 different machines. Machine set up on a VLF machine won't help much, maybe an inch more. The PI's will go halfway to China, but it can be soooo tiring!

Great post. It's more than just swinging you're coil around or detector performance. Good illustration on what and where you are finding something you don't expect can give you clues as to the context and nature of the site and how it has been disturbed through the years. Thanks to OP for bringing up the topic.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Smokey, its good to hear someone else's opinion on the situation. Its not that I don't find lots of artifacts, but sometimes on property that you know the owners were very high ranking people with tons of money and lavished guest, it just seems there would be more artifacts. Hard for me to spend that much money on a PI machine that I need a backhoe to dig holes LOL! Thanks, and I do enjoy your post in the Todays Finds Forum. Rick

it's been my experience that I find more at common folks houses than at richer places. i don't think rich kids and their friends played in the yard much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread