Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Initial thoughts of the 600

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    ca
    Apr 2013
    Canada
    Minelab pro find 35 Minelab Equinox 600 Minelab Excalibur II Minelab E-Trac
    1,470
    2301 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Initial thoughts of the 600

    Well, I took it on its maiden voyage this morning to a shoreline that has produced some decent finds. I ran it:
    Field 2
    Multi frequency
    Iron bias 1
    Sensitivity 20
    Threshold just audible
    Recovery speed 3
    I can say this: if there is a button hidden anywhere at my cellar hole sites, the Nox is going to find them! Man it hits hard on mid and low conductors!!! Even the smallest piece is no match for it. It sniffed out a button shank, without the button! I got the coil over a few high conductors as well (brass gas fitting handle) and it was loud and clear. The tones are much different than what I'm used to with the Etrac, but eventually my ears will get accustomed to it. It seems to be very well balanced and I could easily swing this thing all day. I didnt experience the shaft wobble, as described by other users. The display is easy to see and the menu is very straight forward. The only thing that I'm not too fond of, is the shaft build. I like the locking mechanism on the etrac much better than the push pin style.
    This was pretty interesting: We tried a nail test, using 4 big square nails and a copper. His CTX only hit it one way, and was so scratchy when it did hit, that he said he wouldn't have dug it. The Nox nailed it in all directions. We replaced the copper with a thin, beach abused Canadian silver 5 cents (size of a US half dime) and positioned it in the middle of the nails. Neither detector hit it, no matter what settings we tried. I moved the nails out, about 2-3" from the coin, and the Nox saw it in both directions. The CTX didn't. The proof is in the pudding! I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can try it at my pounded sites. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year!!

  2. #2
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 600/Deteknix Xpointer pro pointer.
    178
    175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RelicMedic View Post
    Well, I took it on its maiden voyage this morning to a shoreline that has produced some decent finds. I ran it:
    Field 2
    Multi frequency
    Iron bias 1
    Sensitivity 20
    Threshold just audible
    Recovery speed 3
    I can say this: if there is a button hidden anywhere at my cellar hole sites, the Nox is going to find them! Man it hits hard on mid and low conductors!!! Even the smallest piece is no match for it. It sniffed out a button shank, without the button! I got the coil over a few high conductors as well (brass gas fitting handle) and it was loud and clear. The tones are much different than what I'm used to with the Etrac, but eventually my ears will get accustomed to it. It seems to be very well balanced and I could easily swing this thing all day. I didnt experience the shaft wobble, as described by other users. The display is easy to see and the menu is very straight forward. The only thing that I'm not too fond of, is the shaft build. I like the locking mechanism on the etrac much better than the push pin style.
    This was pretty interesting: We tried a nail test, using 4 big square nails and a copper. His CTX only hit it one way, and was so scratchy when it did hit, that he said he wouldn't have dug it. The Nox nailed it in all directions. We replaced the copper with a thin, beach abused Canadian silver 5 cents (size of a US half dime) and positioned it in the middle of the nails. Neither detector hit it, no matter what settings we tried. I moved the nails out, about 2-3" from the coin, and the Nox saw it in both directions. The CTX didn't. The proof is in the pudding! I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can try it at my pounded sites. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year!!
    I am just getting to grips with my new 600 too, a couple of things I already know for sure is. it's very sensitive, picks up the tiniest items, and it's very deep!

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Littleton Colorado
    Minelab Equinox 600 Fisher F22 Vibra tector 740
    145
    73 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just had a Bomb Cyclone of Snow here in Denver. Cannot wait to get out with my 600. Haven't had a chance to get out with it yet since getting it 2 weeks ago. Cant wait to see what I find with it.

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    7,034
    6424 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Having a 600 delivered this Friday and I’m looking forward to taking it to the beach along with it’s big brother the 800 and see how they do when compared.
    I’m hoping to relegate the 600 to water detecting and as a backup.
    Good luck everyone!


    We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    7,034
    6424 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sky355 View Post
    Just had a Bomb Cyclone of Snow here in Denver. Cannot wait to get out with my 600. Haven't had a chance to get out with it yet since getting it 2 weeks ago. Cant wait to see what I find with it.

    Sorry you’re snowed in for now. Soon you’ll get to take the 600 for a spin. Good luck!
    RelicMedic, Inspector and A2coins like this.


    We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

  6. #6
    us
    Jan 2019
    Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
    42
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RelicMedic View Post
    Well, I took it on its maiden voyage this morning to a shoreline that has produced some decent finds. I ran it:
    Field 2
    Multi frequency
    Iron bias 1
    Sensitivity 20
    Threshold just audible
    Recovery speed 3
    I can say this: if there is a button hidden anywhere at my cellar hole sites, the Nox is going to find them! Man it hits hard on mid and low conductors!!! Even the smallest piece is no match for it. It sniffed out a button shank, without the button! I got the coil over a few high conductors as well (brass gas fitting handle) and it was loud and clear. The tones are much different than what I'm used to with the Etrac, but eventually my ears will get accustomed to it. It seems to be very well balanced and I could easily swing this thing all day. I didnt experience the shaft wobble, as described by other users. The display is easy to see and the menu is very straight forward. The only thing that I'm not too fond of, is the shaft build. I like the locking mechanism on the etrac much better than the push pin style.
    This was pretty interesting: We tried a nail test, using 4 big square nails and a copper. His CTX only hit it one way, and was so scratchy when it did hit, that he said he wouldn't have dug it. The Nox nailed it in all directions. We replaced the copper with a thin, beach abused Canadian silver 5 cents (size of a US half dime) and positioned it in the middle of the nails. Neither detector hit it, no matter what settings we tried. I moved the nails out, about 2-3" from the coin, and the Nox saw it in both directions. The CTX didn't. The proof is in the pudding! I can't wait for this snow to melt so I can try it at my pounded sites. I have a feeling it's going to be a great year!!
    I would like to hear the results of your Canadian silver test if you increase the Recovery Speed to 5 or 6. Your test speed of 3 really dampens the ability of the Nox to recover from the nails and see the silver.

    One of the huge advantages of the Nox and other new detectors are not just the multi-frequency, but also the much, much, faster processors. I'm not bashing on any brand, but for example the software on the V3i is probably better than the Nox, but the V3i is crippled by slow, out of date signal processors and system processor.

    The slow Recovery Speed you used does help in single target depth, but you give up discrimination such as in your test.

    Thanks for posting the info!

    -Joe
    RustyGold, sandmartin and A2coins like this.

  7. #7
    ca
    Apr 2013
    Canada
    Minelab pro find 35 Minelab Equinox 600 Minelab Excalibur II Minelab E-Trac
    1,470
    2301 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInMO View Post
    I would like to hear the results of your Canadian silver test if you increase the Recovery Speed to 5 or 6. Your test speed of 3 really dampens the ability of the Nox to recover from the nails and see the silver.

    One of the huge advantages of the Nox and other new detectors are not just the multi-frequency, but also the much, much, faster processors. I'm not bashing on any brand, but for example the software on the V3i is probably better than the Nox, but the V3i is crippled by slow, out of date signal processors and system processor.

    The slow Recovery Speed you used does help in single target depth, but you give up discrimination such as in your test.

    Thanks for posting the info!

    -Joe
    I would increase the recovery speed if I had the choice. I'm using the 600, not the 800. The 600 only goes up to 3
    RustyGold and A2coins like this.

  8. #8
    us
    Jan 2019
    Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
    42
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RelicMedic View Post
    I would increase the recovery speed if I had the choice. I'm using the 600, not the 800. The 600 only goes up to 3
    SORRY! My mistake... I had the NOX 800 in my mind and not the 600. So you were effectively at a Recovery Speed of 6 on the 800. That should be plenty fast.

    -Joe
    RelicMedic, Inspector and A2coins like this.

  9. #9
    us
    Feb 2016
    Los Angeles
    Equinox 600, Minelab Safari
    112
    292 times
    Metal Detecting
    I hunt extremely trashy parks and lot sites in Los Angeles and the 600 is a hyper machine. Recovery speed of 3 on it is plenty fast no matter the conditions. I'm always in multi, 50 tones and zero IB.

  10. #10
    us
    Title? old fart

    Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    8,207
    11382 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    you will love it as you get it figured out. darn good machine for the money
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

  11. #11

    Jan 2011
    291
    105 times
    I wish I had some fine gold chains and earrings to test how much higher FE bias affects these targets. Grrr! Cant find a video on youtube with these tests either. If someone has one then please consider sharing it
    RelicMedic and A2coins like this.

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    3,907
    6092 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Iron bias likely won’t affect the response on those targets alone, but if you put them in the proximity of iron targets you will likely find they get masked with moderate to high iron bias settings.
    Last edited by vferrari; Mar 14, 2019 at 05:19 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

  13. #13

    Jan 2011
    291
    105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Iron bias likely won’t affect the response on those targets alone, but if you put them in the proximity of iron targets you will likely find they get masked with moderate to high iron bias settings.
    Thanks a lot. Thats great info.
    Inspector, RelicMedic and A2coins like this.

  14. #14
    gb
    Paul Martin

    Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 600/Deteknix Xpointer pro pointer.
    178
    175 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Happa54 View Post
    I hunt extremely trashy parks and lot sites in Los Angeles and the 600 is a hyper machine. Recovery speed of 3 on it is plenty fast no matter the conditions. I'm always in multi, 50 tones and zero IB.
    How are you finding 50 tones? I tried it for 10 minutes yesterday, boy there's a lot of info! Went back to 5 tones but may try again, guess it needs some time.
    Inspector and A2coins like this.

  15. #15
    ca
    Apr 2013
    Canada
    Minelab pro find 35 Minelab Equinox 600 Minelab Excalibur II Minelab E-Trac
    1,470
    2301 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I can't do 50 tones. It's just too hard on the head for me lol.
    vferrari and A2coins like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Initial thoughts on the Equinox 6" coil
    By laidback4sho in forum Equinox
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul 28, 2018, 08:52 PM
  2. 2/14/18 Minelab Equinox 800 initial thoughts.
    By b3y0nd3r in forum Equinox
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2018, 12:03 PM
  3. Initial thoughts?
    By gentleone444 in forum Bottles & Glass
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 07, 2017, 10:16 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb 09, 2016, 04:25 AM
  5. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV initial thoughts...
    By the.silver.standard in forum Bounty Hunter
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun 18, 2008, 12:36 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0