Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By scotty544
  • 1 Post By fuzzymaster
  • 4 Post By Happa54
  • 2 Post By HighVDI
  • 1 Post By HighVDI
  • 1 Post By McKinney_5900
  • 2 Post By HighPlainsHunter
  • 2 Post By HighVDI

Thread: Swing speed/recovery speed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    434 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Swing speed/recovery speed

I lowered the recovery speed on the Nox to see if I could find anything deeper. Should I also lower my swing speed? Trying to figure out how deep it will go!

us
    Mar 2013
    Arkansas
    Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i Tesoro Silver Saber
    198 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes you should slow your swing speed down when you drop the recovery speed down. Also really stop and investigate each target
    Dig till it hurts, then dig until its too dark to see anymore.

Jan 2017
    North Central Oh
    tesoro vaquero Equinox 600
    44 times
    Metal Detecting
    Field 2
    Recovery2
    Slow swings and found dime at 9.5 -10 inches. Repeatable both ways. I am very happy with the 600.
    CarsonChris likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    20331 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Yes, slow it down.

us
    Feb 2016
    Los Angeles
    Equinox 600, Minelab Safari
    292 times
    Metal Detecting
    For me, coming from an ML FBS, I've created a habit of moving my coil slowly. I work heavy trash sites and can hear the deep hi conduct squeakers amongst the iron and low conductors. I dig a lot of deep holes. I have a partner who works an area very very quickly and for the most part he digs a lot of shallow clad.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3721 times
    Metal Detecting
    Generally you want to slow the sweep speed down but it also depends on trash content too. The problem I find with a slow recovery speed is it takes away the major strength of the equinox which is it's descriptive audio. I've dug some darn deep silver coins and nickels at a high recovery speed and you could tell they were deep coins. Lower recovery speeds just make the report drawn out and hard to come up with a dig or no dig decision IMO.
    vferrari and CarsonChris like this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8152 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    Generally you want to slow the sweep speed down but it also depends on trash content too. The problem I find with a slow recovery speed is it takes away the major strength of the equinox which is it's descriptive audio. I've dug some darn deep silver coins and nickels at a high recovery speed and you could tell they were deep coins. Lower recovery speeds just make the report drawn out and hard to come up with a dig or no dig decision IMO.
    What # recovery are you using lately?

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3721 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    What # recovery are you using lately?
    7 on the 800....I guess 2 on a 600 would be a 6 on an 800 roughly. When my wife uses the 600 I'm going to set her up on 3.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

us
    Jul 2010
    321 times
    7 on the 800....I guess 2 on a 600 would be a 6 on an 800 roughly. When my wife uses the 600 I'm going to set her up on 3.
    That's one way to get back at her ;-)
    HighVDI likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2008
    Forney, Texas
    182 times
    Actually, Recovery of 2 on the 600 is the equivalent of 4 on the 800 while 3 on the 600 is the equivalent of 6 on the 800... Hope that helps...
    tennessee digger and vferrari like this.

Charter Member
    us
    HMFWIC

Nov 2007
    Warner Robins, GA
    Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
    73 times
    I am not sure what Mode your in and I only hunt Park 1 or Park 2. The Default for P1 is 5 and P2 is 6 in the 800. The higher the number you put in the less depth you get and less accurate Target ID.
    Never play Leapfrog with a Unicorn!

Feb 2017
    Pa
    3721 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ATPRoDon View Post
    I am not sure what Mode your in and I only hunt Park 1 or Park 2. The Default for P1 is 5 and P2 is 6 in the 800. The higher the number you put in the less depth you get and less accurate Target ID.
    True, but it's almost like saying full sens. is the best setting for every site. I recently hit an early 1900's home ive pounded with my F75 and Tejon in the past with my 800. Corner lot with lots of overhead EMI and a body shop next door with crazy wifi detector killer powers, lol.

While beeping there I lowered my sens. all the way down to 14. This site is VERY trashy so my recovery was left at 7. Found 3 merc dimes and a silver religious pendant in an hour and a half along with 10 wheats. All coins were in the 6" depth range and gave faint but very nice high tones.

Theres no way on earth the machine would have seen those targets with a recovery of 5 or lower. Sure it's a little deeper but depth isn't always everything. It's the whole reason the settings are adjustable.
    vferrari and Toothpick like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links