scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you should slow your swing speed down when you drop the recovery speed down. Also really stop and investigate each target

fuzzymaster

Jan 31, 2017
North Central Oh
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field 2
Recovery2
Slow swings and found dime at 9.5 -10 inches. Repeatable both ways. I am very happy with the 600.

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, coming from an ML FBS, I've created a habit of moving my coil slowly. I work heavy trash sites and can hear the deep hi conduct squeakers amongst the iron and low conductors. I dig a lot of deep holes. I have a partner who works an area very very quickly and for the most part he digs a lot of shallow clad.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally you want to slow the sweep speed down but it also depends on trash content too. The problem I find with a slow recovery speed is it takes away the major strength of the equinox which is it's descriptive audio. I've dug some darn deep silver coins and nickels at a high recovery speed and you could tell they were deep coins. Lower recovery speeds just make the report drawn out and hard to come up with a dig or no dig decision IMO.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally you want to slow the sweep speed down but it also depends on trash content too. The problem I find with a slow recovery speed is it takes away the major strength of the equinox which is it's descriptive audio. I've dug some darn deep silver coins and nickels at a high recovery speed and you could tell they were deep coins. Lower recovery speeds just make the report drawn out and hard to come up with a dig or no dig decision IMO.

What # recovery are you using lately?

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 on the 800....I guess 2 on a 600 would be a 6 on an 800 roughly. When my wife uses the 600 I'm going to set her up on 3.

Actually, Recovery of 2 on the 600 is the equivalent of 4 on the 800 while 3 on the 600 is the equivalent of 6 on the 800... Hope that helps...

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure what Mode your in and I only hunt Park 1 or Park 2. The Default for P1 is 5 and P2 is 6 in the 800. The higher the number you put in the less depth you get and less accurate Target ID.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure what Mode your in and I only hunt Park 1 or Park 2. The Default for P1 is 5 and P2 is 6 in the 800. The higher the number you put in the less depth you get and less accurate Target ID.

True, but it's almost like saying full sens. is the best setting for every site. I recently hit an early 1900's home ive pounded with my F75 and Tejon in the past with my 800. Corner lot with lots of overhead EMI and a body shop next door with crazy wifi detector killer powers, lol.

While beeping there I lowered my sens. all the way down to 14. This site is VERY trashy so my recovery was left at 7. Found 3 merc dimes and a silver religious pendant in an hour and a half along with 10 wheats. All coins were in the 6" depth range and gave faint but very nice high tones.

Theres no way on earth the machine would have seen those targets with a recovery of 5 or lower. Sure it's a little deeper but depth isn't always everything. It's the whole reason the settings are adjustable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread