First day finds with the Equinox 800

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Equinox 800 arrived yesterday, and I charged it up and assembled it. I had already read the user's manual cover to cover after downloading the PDF. I ventured out into the backyard for the first use, and here's what I found. All trash I know, but this is my first time using a metal detector ever, so was very glad to find anything at all to dig up. I used the default settings and Park 1 mode 1.

Attachments

• finds_190316a.jpg
    finds_190316a.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 167

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the 800! I also got one this week.

70ss454

Greenie
Feb 23, 2019
Vernon, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the three tone setting that is pinned at the top of the forum today. I am getting really good at finding trash for sure. The 800 works great, I just need to get the coil over some good targets.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it folks, ask away if you've got questions as you climb the learning curve. Best thing you can do is get out there, swing, dig everything regardless of ID and learn what the machine is telling you. HH

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got about 100 hours on my 800 so far and really enjoy it. I still get fooled by deep aluminum but am starting to learn that it usually gives a choppy signal on trashy items like this. Buttons, coins and lead bullets so far have stayed consistent with hammering signals. I'm running a 5 tone program in park 2 provided by one of our members that seems to work best for the type of hunting I do. Good luck and get some hours under your belt with it and I think you will love it!

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You learn your machine when you’re digging trash. Once you’ve figured it out, go back over the same spots and see what goodies were being hidden by the iron...you’d be surprised what you’ll find.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. As others have said Dig It All!

OP
OP
Shooting Star

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 2 finds. This time I tried the front yard. More interesting stuff found this time.

190317_frontyarda.jpg

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 2 finds. This time I tried the front yard. More interesting stuff found this time.

View attachment 1692110

Excellent! Much better. You're picking up what appears to be brass. That small lock/locket is a neat find, and would probably clean up nicely.

If you aren't already doing it, try sweeping some of your targets at a 90 degree angle to the first location. A good target will generally sound the same from both directions, while a nail might give a double blip in one direction and a single hit in the other. Of course that could also indicate a coin sitting vertically in the ground, but with practice, your will be able to make the right call more times than not.

Keep up the good work, you're way ahead of my first two days, 47 years ago...

OP
OP
Shooting Star

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! Much better. You're picking up what appears to be brass. That small lock/locket is a neat find, and would probably clean up nicely.

Keep up the good work, you're way ahead of my first two days, 47 years ago...

Thanks! I have to credit valuable resources like Treasure Net and Youtube to help me learn.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome, good luck and HH!!! "D"

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is fun, no matter what you find. The problem I have now is every where I look I wonder, "what's under that ground"??

With what little I have been able to use mine, I enjoy it a lot.

Congrats on your first finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it...enjoy your new machine! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Shooting Star

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 3

Day 3 and wow! I found my first coins! I hunted in my front yard again, this time along the public sidewalk. Three pennies, a dime and a nickel. I also found a Los Angeles token, a bicycle bell and a hose sprinkler head.

190320_frontyearda.jpg
190320_la_token.jpg

Last edited:

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My top 3 rules to ensure a successful hunt is location, location, location.

OP
OP
Shooting Star

Shooting Star

Mar 3, 2019
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My top 3 rules to ensure a successful hunt is location, location, location.

Agreed. I'm pretty positive my yard is virgin property from a metal detecting perspective, so I will eventually be scanning every square inch of it. :)

fuzzymaster

Jan 31, 2017
North Central Oh
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a neat token. Your officially hooked. I have been using the 600 for a couple months and am just starting to figure some stuff out. I purposely have hunted really trashy places that have been hit alot to see what I could squeak out. Its been alot of fun and challenging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread