Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the first time I got my Nox covered in mud, I took some ballistic nylon we had laying around and made a makeshift cover for it. I sew fishing related bags that aren’t available for purchase, so that’s where I learned how to sew. I make custom built fly rods, and then make custom bags for them. It’s actually mentally relaxing for me with my engineering background. The weird part is making stuff inside out!

Anyway, the original cover was not the best because I threw it together quickly, so yesterday I took the time and made a pattern for a new cover. I had fuzzy backed vinyl left over from a project, so I made the brown one first. It also has a light gage of clear vinyl on the face. The black one was a PIA! The fuzzy back was way too fuzzy to work with, but I made it work because I wanted a black cover. The black one also has a heavier gage clear vinyl, and this was much easier to work with. The two clear vinyls and brown vinyl both came from the cheap fabric section at Walmart for a couple of bucks.

The pieces are relatively small, so I used crafters tape to hold the pieces together before sewing, and that made things a lot easier. Pay attention that the bottom of the front, back and sides do not have any salvage. After assembly, I used bias tape to finish the bottom edge, then used a cut up 8” Velcro wire tie to hold the bottom together. You’ll figure it out!

Tip for whomever will be sewing. After cutting out the panel pieces, sew the two sides to the top then miter the corners. Cutout the opening in the back panel (you can border it with bias tape if you like, but not necessary), then sew that to the sides and top, using the bottom as the starting point. The clear vinyl is the last panel to be sewn in. When the last panel is sewn in, turn the cover right side out then bind the bottom with bias tape. Attach the Velcro.

This is not a tutorial, and I barely know what I’m doing myself. The tips are because I made and learned from my mistakes, not because I’m smart. The pattern will work for either Equinox, and the pattern is what's important if you know someone who can sew one up for you. These are available for purchase on fleabay for $23-33 each. That’s why I made these for me...I’m cheap, and retired with time in my hands.

Good luck!

D1A34719-0E0B-4A1F-9952-437BD9F02AB3.jpeg

402E5A01-888E-4C2B-AF76-F43A7B161939.jpeg

30A2E665-53D3-4BEF-83D4-0D5A6EB7636C.jpeg

B15A8FC5-CEDD-4994-B7DC-5C671E32E093.jpeg

E27A36C6-6502-4598-8571-70226F6D7B95.jpeg

91F4EF03-2573-432F-B550-F03B1B015DC0.jpeg

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice addition, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love innovation like this.

One suggestion; be careful about covering up the vent/speaker holes on the back of the control box. I had a cover that obstructed the back and in the hot Florida summer sun, my NOX overheated and started to malfunction. I removed the cover, let the Nox cool down and all returned to normal. Since then, I've cut a hole in the back to allow the vent holes to "breath" and all is well.

You may not experience this problem in NE Ohio but it's something you may want to keep an eye on.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread