bullnose

Jan 21, 2019
Clinton County Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the advice of pretty much everyone, I took my Equinox 800 out for the first time in the backyard today and dug every signal. What I discovered is my 1910 Michigan house, situated in a village that dates to 1847, has a yard filled with metal trash. I lost count of the number of nails I dug :). In park 1 it seems that nails were falling consistently in the 17-19 range.

The most interesting finds were an unfired .22 long rifle cartridge and what appears to be a fancy earring from the '50s or '60s. Whichever one triggered that signal read at 14.

I would have dug few more holes, but I managed to bend my right thumb backwards while scraping dirt out of one particularly deep hole. Ice on the thumb and a cold beer drew me back in the house to watch the Big 10 basketball tournament (Go Spartans!).

I'm heading to South Carolina at the end of the week to do some relic hunting and some dry beach hunting as time permits. I can't wait to see what the Equinox 800 will do in the low country. Any advice on the relic and beach settings when I hit SC (which beach mode and which field or park mode)?

Regards,
Bill

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Im also a new user and my nox ignores nearly all the iron, yet some targets which contain iron and lets say tin (like most beer tabs) can be avoided by using the horseshoe button. Which puts the detector in all metal mode. Once in this mode you will notice that if the target has a percentage of iron then the sound will bounce between very low (the iron tone) to somewhat high.

This video shows how to solve this problem with any target containing some iron.

Please keep in mind that Im a n00b with the equinox myself so its possible that there are solutions to this problem that Im unaware about.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field 2 for relic hunting in the low country. Was just there last month and pulled some nice buttons and other relics. Dry sand, you can run Beach 1 (Beach 2 is primarily for wet salt sand and surf) for general hunting. Park 1 should run stable on dry sand too if you are going for clad. If you want to go for jewelry, Park 2 is better. All three of those modes will hit most targets, regardless so don't be afraid to stick with tge mode that is working best for you. HTH

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the advice of pretty much everyone, I took my Equinox 800 out for the first time in the backyard today and dug every signal. What I discovered is my 1910 Michigan house, situated in a village that dates to 1847, has a yard filled with metal trash. I lost count of the number of nails I dug :). In park 1 it seems that nails were falling consistently in the 17-19 range.

The most interesting finds were an unfired .22 long rifle cartridge and what appears to be a fancy earring from the '50s or '60s. Whichever one triggered that signal read at 14.

I would have dug few more holes, but I managed to bend my right thumb backwards while scraping dirt out of one particularly deep hole. Ice on the thumb and a cold beer drew me back in the house to watch the Big 10 basketball tournament (Go Spartans!).

I'm heading to South Carolina at the end of the week to do some relic hunting and some dry beach hunting as time permits. I can't wait to see what the Equinox 800 will do in the low country. Any advice on the relic and beach settings when I hit SC (which beach mode and which field or park mode)?

Regards,
Bill

You know whats really stinks! Having to watch your team play in the NIT after beating the Spartans twice!(We kinda deserve it though) Good luck on your house there is likely a silver coin or two out there somewhere.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regards,
Bill

At your house property, try using Field 2 and bumping up the iron bias a couple of points. If the targets are reasonably shallow, you might also think about getting the 6" coil. With it or the stock 11", just swing a bit on the slow side and try different recovery speed settings to see which will give you the right balance between depth and target unmasking. On dry sand at the beach, any mode will work, however, if there are specific targets you want to concentrate on, you'll want to use one best for that target. Deep silver, I'd use Park 1, Deep gold (not tiny gold) Park 2, Tiny gold, Gold 1 or 2, or Field 2 (distant 3rd choice). vferrari already mentioned using Field 2 for your relic hunting. You might also experiment with the Gold modes and single frequencies depending on your ground mineralization, and depth needed, or if there is bad EMI in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread