Mar 1, 2019
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Teknetics minuteman
Land ranger pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second time out with the nox in a trash filled park that I thought I had cleaned out. This machine is amazing. I was on the fence about getting the 800 or 600. Absolutely Not regretting my decision to go with the 600. For anyone else who is trying to decide between the 600 or the 800 unless you have a specific need for the 800 such as gold mode or the advanced settings you will have a just as capable detector and save some cash.
13B95745-58FD-4D35-A5A1-C0087F3FAB5D.jpeg
8099C481-DF42-4CF4-B592-78FB5D876470.jpeg
3B5C9A6E-41C0-4350-9C59-169042620CFA.jpeg

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin! Congrats! I have to disagree about the 600 vs 800. IMO, the 800 is the better bang for the buck with all you get.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet from Southern California. Very cool coin! Congratulations!
I just added the Equinox 600 to go with the 800 and love it. Good luck!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gotta love it

OP
OP
B

Beep_dig_repeat

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2019
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Teknetics minuteman
Land ranger pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!

For my hunting style I think the 600 is perfect others may prefer the 800. My style is more turn on and go. I’m probably what most of you would consider a weekend warrior. If you’re in an area with natural gold it’s the 800 all the way. As far as what you get with the 800 accessory wise the headphones and wm-08 module. Well, I’m not sure I would consider something I still have to plug a cord into and deal with that cord while detecting “wireless” also it’s not water proof so if water hunting is your thing you’ll be buying the minelab waterproof headphones and similar apt-x wireless headphones can be purchased for around $50. So assuming msrp of 650 and 900 respectfully. Let’s say I spent 700 between the 600 and 3rd party headphones. That leaves about a 200 difference for me to decide if the actual differences in the machine are worth the investment. Gold mode, no natural gold here. Not needed. Adjustable backlight, not really a big deal to me. Manual noise canceling, haven’t needed it yet doubt many people with the 800 use it. Recovery speed settings, 3 which is equal to 6 on the 800 is plenty fast. Would guess not many people use a recovery speed of 8 on the 800 very often. Iron bias settings, as we all know iron bias is a slippery slope. Increase it and potentially miss targets. Also thinking most users of the 800 either set it at 0 or keep it low. Tone break, don’t think I would change it if I could and would guess the majority of 800 users leave it at factory setting. User profile button, this I do wish the 600 had but again didn’t feel it was worth the extra money. So yes the 800 offers more fine grained control but for me I didn’t find the higher price point to be worth it. Just my opinion and reasoning for choosing the 600 over the 800

I have learned so much from TN thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge
Thanks again for the warm welcome, good luck and hh

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your logic 600 vs. 800 logic makes sense for the most part. The 600 is a very capable machine and seems to be suited to your approach to detecting. The only thing I will say is that you seem to have the misconception that gold mode is ONLY suited to prospecting and that is really underselling what gold mode can do for the relic hunter and even coin shooter. It gives you another tool for target interrogation and is probably the mode best suited for detecting in highly mineralized ground.

Regarding value, I think you are smart to get your own 3rd party wireless BT phones for the 600 but the included WM08 module with the 800 also allows for use if your favorite wired phones untethered from the detector, which might be valuable to some folks. Otherwise, if you were to buy that module separately, be prepared to spend between $150 to $250 (list) for it. Don’t need it, then you can sell it and make up most of the $250 cost difference between the 600 and 800 and still have the more capable machine. So the value proposition for the 600 vs. 800 is not as straight forward as you might think.

Finally, there are some less heralded 800 features like the User Profile, non-ferrous tone break adjustments, and backlight adjustment that are a lot more useful than you might think. At least knowing what I know now, I do find I miss those features when I am using my backup 600 machine (which I use as a sacrificial beater machine to absorb the abuse meted out for salt beach water hunting).

Again, I think you probably made the right choice for your situation, just pointing out some additional things folks should consider.

Check out this post for more 600 vs. 800 comparative discussions.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...-thing-missing-600-a.html?highlight=gold+mode

BTW nice finds!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting! :occasion14:

Welcome to the forum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread