Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Still Confused Part II

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Equinox 800
    184 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well, let me give you a quick update.
    I am at the beach with my 800 and have spent about seven hours with it so far.

During this time period I have recorded 17 videos of my unit malfunctioning.
    I have talked to John at Minelab and he agrees there is something bad wrong with my unit and they will probably just replace it.

It is doing things like changing from detect mode to pinpoint mode on its own.

In pinpoint mode it will freeze up and give me a steady loud hum or buzzing, even if the unit is pointed straight up in the air.

Then yesterday, it started turning itself completely off and the only way I can turn it back on is to disconnect the coil.

So it goes back to Minelab next week when I get home.

In the mean time, when it is working correctly I have been finding lots of stuff.

However, what I do not understand is why it will not detect certain things. There was another person on the beach with a cheap Discovery unit and he was able to detect stuff I was not. He found things like metal matchbox cars and metal toys, where my unit will not detect them at all. His unit screams when it finds them. I even ran my unit over a metal toy car sitting on top of the sand and it did not register at all. The same thing when I passed over a small fishing net with a metal ring around the net. Nothing.

I have repeatedly done the FP. The noise cancel is usually between -1 and -4. The ground balance is "0". I am using beach mode 1 and 2. Sensitivity is 20

Shouldn't I be able to detect these toys? I can find money and sunglasses and keys, but not these toys.

Still confused. Thanks

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3698 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'd say you no doubt have the fluke Minelab Equinox on the forums. Lol! Hopefully they send you out a perfectly working unit.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6077 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you have ferrous discriminated out then you may not detect the objects you described, plus since it is malfunctioning, all bets are off.

Shame they did not figure it out the first time.

Good lesson learned here. Take videos of your detector if it is intermittently misbehaving as these types of issues are often hard for techs to replicate in the shop.
    Last edited by vferrari; Apr 19, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links