Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Should I Buy an Equinox 800 - I Own a Deus

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    91 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Should I Buy an Equinox 800 - I Own a Deus

Hello. I currently ONLY use a XP Deus. I have had it for almost 4 years and I primarily coin shoot but go after relics if im in a "good" location. I pull very little trash from the ground when coin shooting bc i am very knowledgeable/comfortable with what the machine is telling me. I hunt A LOT, 4 - 30 hours a week, year around. Other than being able to hunt in the water, is there any advantage to having the Equinox 800 as a second machine? Thanks in advance for any input. Kevin
    Slowtaknow likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    708 times
    Sure, why not? It never hurts to have a secondary detector, and the 800 would be a good option for that IMHO.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    637 times
    Iv done some looking into both of those machines debating on what one to get, i would buy the xp deus before a 800 and wouldnt consider a 800 if i had the deus, seems like you would be down grading, but what do I know i dont use either lol
    fishstick and Slowtaknow like this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7807 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The XP Deus is a great machine. Sounds like you are really dialed in on it. I hunt with a friend who swings one and occasionally he finds something I miss with the Nox and sometimes I find something he misses with his Deus. If you are swinging that much, I would recommend getting a back up machine as eventually the Deus will need some service like any machine getting hundreds of hours. A Nox would be a great back up machine, but don’t expect it to uncover silvers left and right that the Deus missed.

us
    Lord ringpull

Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero
    265 times
    To bad the deus doesn't have a way cheaper corded version, it would sell fast if it performed the same.

us
    Feb 2016
    Statesville, NC
    XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Iv done some looking into both of those machines debating on what one to get, i would buy the xp deus before a 800 and wouldnt consider a 800 if i had the deus, seems like you would be down grading, but what do I know i dont use either lol
    You are correct - the XP Deus is AMAZING if you take the time to learn it. YOUTUBE videos helps with the learning curve. I hunt with friends often times and go back over anything they have covered bc the Dues will tell me to dig where their detectors told them not to. It also goes super deep. I definitely have a love affair with my Deus. haha

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19553 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    In reality, you don't really have to LEARN the Deus. I really never "learned" the machine. I dig most targets and do not dig the nails. It hasn't let me down. I like the Deus Fast and factory settings. I really need to post what I got these last two weeks, but have been very, very busy. I have used the Equinox both 600 and 800 and wouldn't consider getting one as a backup. I like my Tesoro Tejon for a backup and for wide open spaces where stuff is deep I use a PI machine.

The equinox series is good in salt water, but I don't go in the water so don't need one for that.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Mar 22, 2019 at 02:09 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Garrett Carrot/Piranha Relic Shovel
    6094 times
    I like the Deus in thick iron. Equinox in wide open sites, beach, and in inclement weather. The Equinox may ID targets deeper in high mineralization than Deus and may be deeper overall in mild ground. But nothing separates from iron better than Deus and it may sound off on targets deeper in mineralized ground than Equinox, but it will not provide an ID or may sound off as iron. PI is usually the best way to go in super hot ground. If you hit a site repeatedly, hitting it with different detectors on different visits can be productive, so having a backup detector to provide that capability is usually worth the investment. The Equinox is a great compliment to the Deus, but not necessarily the only option (see Smokey's Tesoro suggestion if you want to keep it light and simple).

I think the Equinox strength lies in it's versatility. Deus bests it under certain conditions, but it really does a lot of things well and some better than Deus (e,g., saltwater and wet salt sand performance and freshwater performance without Deus antenna claptrap are Equinox strengths over Deus), gold prospecting is probably a wash, relic hunting depends on conditions, more reliable target ID on Equinox, audio is good on both and wireless, and Deus wins handily in the weight and portabilty department. Accessory coils are naturally cheaper on the Equinox as Deus crams the brains in the coil which is what drives coil cost (not really driven by the wireless coil aspect).

I like it as my compliment to Deus snd have had great success with both.

HTH
    Last edited by vferrari; Mar 21, 2019 at 07:46 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    635 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The Deus is unquestionably a very good detector and I had one for several years. However, when the Equinox was fielded and I got a chance to become relatively proficient with it, it became my primary detector. For me and my hunting of Florida beaches, the Deus couldn’t match the multi frequency capability of the Nox and there was no comparison regarding use in the surf.

It merely comes down to your particular situation and preference. Pick the tool that does the best job for you.

Just the view from my foxhole...
    vferrari, sprailroad and Ogre1190 like this.
    ~ Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets ~

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    19553 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    ColonelDan you are correct about the Equinox and the beach. In our bad mineralized soils here, especially with a decent amount of iron present, the Deus wins, hands down. My equinox just chattered it's little head off. Couldn't make it's mind up and then wanted a milkshake! (kidding about the milikshake of course).
    Toothpick likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2013
    Wisconsin
    XP-DEUS, Equinox 800
    783 times
    As other have already said....Deus W/ HFcoil in the iron and 800 in the clean dirt and salt..that's the way I use them and it is a killer combo.
    vferrari and RustyGold like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    sd
    xp deus , Equinox 800
    576 times
    Metal Detecting
    I do not have the HF coil for my deus . I never did get the hang of the deus . It is light and fast . Likes deep rust and bottle caps .I have dug nice things with it . It is expensive . I keep it for a back up for my nox 800 . My 800 in multi is a beast . I beat my yard down for two years with my deus . Day one with the 800 in the front yard . Two IHP a 1902 dime and a 50s boy scout pin all with in 30 mins .No learning curve with the larger factory coil . The smaller 6 inch likes nails to much for me . After my first update on my 800 i found a 1859 half at nine inches on edge .The scale of finds in multi is hard to beat with the 800 . From finding a 1930s Remington typewriter pin back SS half the size of a dime to a half dollar all in one swing . I am not selling my deus but my nox has become my go to .
    sprailroad, vferrari and RustyGold like this.
    South Dakota motto .....Steak , guns and fur . Don't mess with us .

be
    Oct 2016
    Belgium
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab Excallibur, Xp Deus, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Tesoro Bandido Umax, Teknetics Omega 8000
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DigDug216 View Post
    Hello. I currently ONLY use a XP Deus. I have had it for almost 4 years and I primarily coin shoot but go after relics if im in a "good" location. I pull very little trash from the ground when coin shooting bc i am very knowledgeable/comfortable with what the machine is telling me. I hunt A LOT, 4 - 30 hours a week, year around. Other than being able to hunt in the water, is there any advantage to having the Equinox 800 as a second machine? Thanks in advance for any input. Kevin
    No you don't. I have both the Deus and Equinox 800 and i can say that the Deus is a better coin shooter the the Equinox. The signals on coins are more clear on the Deus then the Equinox.I dig less trash with the Deus. Problem with the Equinox is the small range of VDI that also gives a lott of trash in the coin range. I think in 75% of my hunts a use the Deus for coin shooting.

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    3700 times
    Metal Detecting
    Equinox is def. not for someone relying on a visual display. However, coins have their own unique sound and contrary to what others believe here it takes time to get the ear for them. IMO, the 800 is a KILLER coin machine.....and actually not too shabby on relics either.
    vferrari and RustyGold like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11382 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I have both, well the 600 and the XP, love them both. a great combo to have. to me, the combo is hard to beat. Both have their places with a lot of overlapping for each.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links